Advertisement
Advertisement

Williams Camp Not Shocked With Botha Failing Test

As BoxingScene.com reported late Saturday night, former champion Francois Botha allegedly failed a drug test before his controversial fight with Sonny Bill Williams. The 44-year-old submitted a urine sample on Tuesday last week, the Sydney Morning Herald said, and the test revealed the presence of phentermine, a banned stimulant.

It also showed traces of benzodiazepine, a valium-type product. The drug test had been forwarded to the WBA's headquarters in Panama.

Australian National Boxing Federation committee member John Hogg cast doubts on the report, telling Australia's News Limited there were no compulsory drug tests required for boxers in Queensland.

He had never heard of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping team spot-testing fighters in the state.

"I would think I would have heard about ASADA testing Botha or Sonny Bill because they have never showed up to boxing gyms in Queensland or on fight night," Hogg told News Limited.

Witnesses who saw Botha in his dressing room before the fight told the Sydney Morning Herald he was relaxed and lying on the floor as Williams entered the ring first.

But when the fight got under way, he was alert and taunted Williams, while trying to put him off his game with a series of late shots.

Williams' manager Khoder Nasser told Firstline he wasn't surprised with the alleged revelation.

"I wasn't really surprised, because I couldn't believe someone had the fitness like that. He was still going after getting punched and bruised so badly and he was still standing."

A leading sports doctor told the Sydney Morning Herald that phentermine and benzodiazepine has opposing effects.

"One puts you to sleep, one keeps you awake. Phentermine is part of the go-fast group, as I call them, which is similar category to all of the adrenalin amphetamines ... anything that is a stimulant that keeps you awake and improves your reflexes."

This only adds to the controversy, as Botha claims the bout was cut short during the fight, going from twelve rounds to ten. Nasser said both camps knew the fight was intended for ten rounds, though that was contradicted by Williams in the build-up to the bout.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment/View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Francisco Santana To Return on Top Rank Bill on April 2 Adamek-Molina: Mateusz Masternak To Face Fields on The Card Amir Khan: I'll Win and Make History, Shut The Doubters Up! Luis Ortiz-Tony Thompson Finalized For March 5th on HBO Cruz vs. Koasicha Tops March 4 Telemundo Bill In Tampa Toka Kahn-Clary Promises To Let The Hard Shots Rain Down Frank Bruno Insists Comeback Talk Came From The Heart Mayweather: Me and Al Haymon Have All The Say So in Boxing Arum: If Pacquiao Continues To Fight, Crawford is Perfect Foe Nietes May Defend Against Garcia in May, Not Fuentes RoundZero Wins Purse Bid For Chudinov-Signani EBU Title Fight IRA Claims 'Credit' For Deadly Dublin Weigh-In Shooting Browne Continues Camp As Chagaev Clash Still On Course Freddie Roach Warns: Don't Count Khan Out Completely Jonathan Gonzelez-Joebert Alvarez To Battle on March 19 Brook: I Wish Khan The Best, Don't Think He Can Beat Canelo Gutknecht To Braehmer: I’m Ready To Avenge My Defeat! Robert Helenius-Johann Duhaupas on April 2 For WBC Silver Belt Evander Holyfield: Anthony Joshua is Best Fighter UK Ever Had Mayweather: Khan Should Have Fought Brook, Not Canelo "Fighting Words" - Canelo vs. Khan: A One-Ring Circus Khan: If I'm Scared of Brook, Then Why Would I Fight Canelo? Guillermo Rigondeaux Wants To Excite in Liverpool, Says Diaz Haye Says The Klitschko Era is Over, Tabs Fury For Repeat Win Austin Trout Willing To Travel, Face Liam Smith in The UK Tyson Fury Hopes Wladimir Klitschko Rematch is Set 'ASAP' Hatton: Canelo Will Be Too Strong and Powerful For Amir Khan Francisco Vargas: Salido Would Be High Risk, a Good Challenge Povetkin: After Wilder I'm Open To Fury, Martin and Klitschko Lucian Bute, Alvarez, Beterbiev Tripleheader on April 2nd? Khan: People Thought De La Hoya Would Destroy Pacquiao Wanheng Menayothin Defends WBC Strap on March 2nd Artur Beterbiev Eyes Ring Return in March or April Pedro Guevara Faces Jether Oliva on February 20 in Sinaloa McGuigan: Khan is Very Ballsy, Canelo Walks Around at 200 Sam O'Maison Stole The Show With Big Knockout Over Hardy Cortez Feels Canelo-Golovkin is More Likely For 2017 Showtime Championship Boxing 30: Hopes for the Year Ahead Tyson Fury Hopes To Head Up New Heavyweight Era Amir Khan Admits Canelo's Size Initially Concerned Him
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement