EDITOR'S NOTE: Peter Rivera, PRBBP Vice-President, said from Las Vegas that he is in contact with Marquez’s promoters and “they never told us that Marquez will not fight. The fight is on for October 6”.
By Damián "Zafa" Ferrer and Ryan Burton
BoxingScene.com has been advised that the super bantamweight showdown between former champions Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (21-2-1, 18KOs) and Rafael Marquez has been cancelled.
They were originally scheduled to fight in August before Marquez injured his hand and the fight was rescheduled for October 6th. BoxingScene first reported the fight was jeopard earlier this week, when news broke that Marquez fell ill from a stomach virus.
The card will however still proceed on October 6th. Bantamweight contender Jonathan Oquendo (22-2, 15KOs) will step in and now face Vazquez in an all Puerto Rican battle. Oquendo was originally scheduled to fight a tuneup on the card and former 105/108 pound champion Ivan Calderon will face WBO minimumweight champion Moises Fuentes in the co-featured fight.
Send questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Ryan on Twitter @ringsidewriter and tune in to The Boxing Lab, BoxingScene's official audio on Tuesdays. The show is hosted by Ernie Gabion, Luis Sandoval and Ryan Burton
Tags: Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. , Rafael Marquez , Jonathan Oquendo , Vazquez-Oquendo , Vazquez vs Oquendo , Marquez-Vazquez , Marquez vs Vazquez