by David P. Greisman
An attorney for Deontay Wilder is telling media that the heavyweight prospect’s domestic violence arrest this past weekend in Las Vegas is not what it appears to be.
“Deontay instinctively acted under the false impression that someone was stealing from him,” Paul Patterson told the Tuscaloosa (Ala.) News earlier this week. “That wasn't the case. He regrets his actions. He is extremely regretful because this is not consistent with his reputation. He and the victim have spoken about this and the victim has accepted his apology. We hope this matter will be brought to a resolution soon.”
Police were called at about 7:30 a.m. on May 4 for a reported battery at a hotel in the 3700 block of South Las Vegas Boulevard, an area that is known as the famed Las Vegas Strip. Security officers there had a male and a female with them, according to Laura Meltzer, a spokeswoman for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.
The woman had swollen eyebrows, a possibly broken nose, a cut lip, and red marks on her neck, according to officers. She was taken to University Medical Center of Southern Nevada and treated for her injuries.
Patterson told Michael Woods of TheSweetScience.com that the woman is an acquaintance who, like Wilder, was in Vegas to see the fight between Floyd Mayweather and Robert Guerrero.
Wrote Woods: “Patterson said that the woman could not be characterized as a paramour of Wilder, who is married.”
Wilder was charged with a felony count of domestic violence-strangulation, booked into Clark County Detention Center and was later released. A court hearing has been scheduled for July 3.
The 27-year-old fighter is coming off his 28th knockout win in 28 fights: an April 27 first-round knockout of aged Olympic gold medalist Audley Harrison.
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at email@example.com
Tags: Deontay Wilder