Weights From Atlantic City: Broner 134, Rees 134.5
By David P. Greisman, at the scale
Adrien Broner easily made weight for his lightweight title defense on Saturday at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, drinking from a Sprite can before stepping on the scales and coming in at 134 pounds. His opponent, Gavin Rees, came in at 134.5 pounds and was not drinking any carbonated beverages.
Broner talked trash to Rees throughout their staredown, whispering in his ear as Rees looked out at the cameras — though Rees did grab Broner’s World Boxing Council lightweight title and hold it up triumphantly before handing it back to one of Broner’s team members.
Broner, 23, of Cincinnati, Ohio, is 25-0 (21 KOs). Rees, 32, of Newport Wales, is 37-1-1 (19 KOs.)
As for the undercard bouts:
- Nikola Sjekoloca weighed in at 167.5 pounds for his WBC super middleweight elimination bout with Sakio Bika, who also came in at 167.5 pounds.
Sjekloca, 34, of Budva, Montenegro, is 25-0 (7 KOs). Bika, a 33-year-old originally from Cameroon but now billed as fighting out of Sydney, Australia, is 30-5-2 (21 KOs).
- Charles Whittaker came in at 154 pounds for his junior middleweight fight. His opponent, Demetrius Hopkins, checked in at 152.5 pounds.
Whittaker, 39, originally from the Cayman Islands but now fighting out of Miami, is 39-13-2 (23 KOs). Hopkins, 32, of Philadelphia, is 32-2-1 (12 KOs)
- Vicente Escobedo weighed in at 129.5 pounds for his junior lightweight bout. His opponent, Edner Cherry, came in at 129.5 pounds.
Escobedo, 31, of Woodland, Calif., is 26-3 (15 KOs). Cherry, 30, originally from the Bahamas but now billed as fighting out of Miami, is 30-6-2 (16 KOs).
- Former Olympic boxer Rau’shee Warren came in at 116.5 pounds. His opponent, Richard Hernandez, came in at 115.5 pounds.
Warren, 26, of Cincinnati, is 2-0 (zero knockouts). Richard Hernandez, of Lockhart, Texas, is 0-5 (zero knockouts) — and is NOT the 5-0 Ricardo Hernandez from Miami that’s listed on BoxRec.
- Robert Easter Jr. came in at an amazingly slender 133 pounds. His opponent, Jose Valderrama, came in at 135 pounds.
Easter, of Toledo, Ohio, is 2-0 (2 KOs). Valderrama, of , Manati, Puerto Rico, is listed as 3-3 with 3 KOs on the bout sheet handed out to the press and as 2-3 with 2 KOs on BoxRec.com.
- Jamel Herring came in at 134.5 pounds.. His opponent, Carlos Lopez, came in at 137 pounds.
Herring, 27, originally from Rockville Centre, N.Y., but announced as now fighting out of Cincinnati, is 1-0 (zero knockouts). Lopez, of San Juan, Puerto Rico, is 4-2 (zero knockouts).
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at [email protected]
[QUOTE=Dr Rumack;13039466]Holy s[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]h[/COLOR]it. Rees is a midget. [/QUOTE] "He can wait on me, he goin' to sleep anyway" lmao. At least we're all on the same page. I expect a KO, and he's going in…Comment by .:: JSFD26 ::. on 02-15-2013
[quote=McAlister] Weighed in Drinking a Sprite!! gotta love it more fuel for the Haters! LMAO [/quote] Looks like you're the only one who noticed it. No one has said anything about it. Where's the pics? All I see is text…Comment by 4Corners on 02-15-2013
Broner in 5.Comment by Russian Crushin on 02-15-2013
Broner tryin to pick up Rees :flirt:Comment by sicko on 02-15-2013
Does Broner have a deal with Sprite or somethin lol :no: I find it funny how he is already able to piss people off and he is not even a Superstar...YET Which means he is only going to get worse…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (26)