By David P. Greisman, at the scale
Adrien Broner easily made weight for his lightweight title defense on Saturday at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, drinking from a Sprite can before stepping on the scales and coming in at 134 pounds. His opponent, Gavin Rees, came in at 134.5 pounds and was not drinking any carbonated beverages.
Broner talked trash to Rees throughout their staredown, whispering in his ear as Rees looked out at the cameras — though Rees did grab Broner’s World Boxing Council lightweight title and hold it up triumphantly before handing it back to one of Broner’s team members.
Broner, 23, of Cincinnati, Ohio, is 25-0 (21 KOs). Rees, 32, of Newport Wales, is 37-1-1 (19 KOs.)
As for the undercard bouts:
- Nikola Sjekoloca weighed in at 167.5 pounds for his WBC super middleweight elimination bout with Sakio Bika, who also came in at 167.5 pounds.
Sjekloca, 34, of Budva, Montenegro, is 25-0 (7 KOs). Bika, a 33-year-old originally from Cameroon but now billed as fighting out of Sydney, Australia, is 30-5-2 (21 KOs).
- Charles Whittaker came in at 154 pounds for his junior middleweight fight. His opponent, Demetrius Hopkins, checked in at 152.5 pounds.
Whittaker, 39, originally from the Cayman Islands but now fighting out of Miami, is 39-13-2 (23 KOs). Hopkins, 32, of Philadelphia, is 32-2-1 (12 KOs)
- Vicente Escobedo weighed in at 129.5 pounds for his junior lightweight bout. His opponent, Edner Cherry, came in at 129.5 pounds.
Escobedo, 31, of Woodland, Calif., is 26-3 (15 KOs). Cherry, 30, originally from the Bahamas but now billed as fighting out of Miami, is 30-6-2 (16 KOs).
- Former Olympic boxer Rau’shee Warren came in at 116.5 pounds. His opponent, Richard Hernandez, came in at 115.5 pounds.
Warren, 26, of Cincinnati, is 2-0 (zero knockouts). Richard Hernandez, of Lockhart, Texas, is 0-5 (zero knockouts) — and is NOT the 5-0 Ricardo Hernandez from Miami that’s listed on BoxRec.
- Robert Easter Jr. came in at an amazingly slender 133 pounds. His opponent, Jose Valderrama, came in at 135 pounds.
Easter, of Toledo, Ohio, is 2-0 (2 KOs). Valderrama, of , Manati, Puerto Rico, is listed as 3-3 with 3 KOs on the bout sheet handed out to the press and as 2-3 with 2 KOs on BoxRec.com.
- Jamel Herring came in at 134.5 pounds.. His opponent, Carlos Lopez, came in at 137 pounds.
Herring, 27, originally from Rockville Centre, N.Y., but announced as now fighting out of Cincinnati, is 1-0 (zero knockouts). Lopez, of San Juan, Puerto Rico, is 4-2 (zero knockouts).
David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at firstname.lastname@example.orgTags: Nikola Sjekloca , Sakio Bika