|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Losing Weight is All About Counting Calories/Carbs and Exercising. Or Is It?
Losing Weight is All About Counting Calories/Carbs and Exercising. Or Is It?
With two thirds of our population overweight (one third in the obese category), watching our weight is no longer something we are doing to look more appealing, or perhaps thinking about doing. It has become a necessary action to prevent disease and increased health costs.
With physical activities being curtailed in schools and backyards and more opportunity to sit in front of televisions, computers and game boys, even our children are joining the ranks of the sedentary lifestyle which promotes an overweight population. Adult diseases are becoming more prominent in children. Adult onset diabetes has been renamed to accommodate all the children who are being diagnosed with it, some as early as in infancy.
So if you have "given up" because counting and exercising hasn't worked for you, consider the following five tips. Which ones can help you?
1. Check to see if you are sabotaging yourself in any way. Many of us find very unique ways to sabotage ourselves. Even though they may not be related to food, they can play havoc with our weight. Sabotage happens often when we are not aware of it. Becoming aware of sabotage is important, but it is only the first step. We must also be ready to move past our sabotage. If we ignore the sabotage and continue to try to lose weight . . . well you know the story.
2. Get the right nutrients. It's not just about the right amount of carbs, fats or protein. A proper balance of the nutrients contained in those carbs, fats and proteins can play a part in whether or not you will lose weight happily and keep it off or if it is just another diet that you must endure to wear a smaller size. A client of mine said it best when she told me she "dieted her way up to morbid obesity". She started at 106 lbs and after years of dieting peaked out at 255 lbs.
3. Use a balanced approach to lose and maintain your weight. Yes, it is important to watch what you eat. Yes, it is imperative to exercise so you don't lose lean mass (muscle, bone, organ tissue). It is also important to examine your stress levels and where that stress is coming from. We all must eat. We all must move. We even must have some stress. But what kind of food, exercise and stress and how much we should have of each of them is important. A good balance of each individually and in balance with each other is of major importance in reaching and maintaining our weight goals.
4. Tweak your lifestyle. Lose 20 lbs in 10 days! Look great in your bikini in just 30 days! We are led to believe that weight loss is a quick-fix and anyone can do it. I went to college with a beauty queen who told us she could lose 5 lbs in a couple days when she had an appearance to make. At the time I was impressed. Now I know that we can all do it. All we have to do is quit drinking water and eating food. The food in our digestive system at any one time and the water in our blood and cells can easily weigh 5 lbs. But isn't weight loss supposed to get rid of fat?
Well, the scale doesn't know the difference. Success in long-term weight loss comes from understanding that the extra pounds didn't come on in a few weeks or even a few months. If we are willing to make weight loss/management a long-term project, we can realize a lifetime of success. By making small, progressive changes in our lifestyle, and having an appropriate support system, we set ourselves up for a happier, healthier journey to our weight goals.
5. Forget about losing weight and strive to be healthy. Have you every met anyone who has dieted for decades and all they got was sporadic success with long-term failure? Then when they finally decide to learn to love themselves as they are (all ??? pounds of themselves), and turn their attention to becoming more healthy. . . the weight starts dropping off! Well our body doesn't care what we look like but it does care if we are healthy. Our bodies are continually striving for homeostasis (a state of balance).
When our bodies are balanced, we are healthy. When something is out of balance, our organs and cells will work hard to bring it back into balance (no wonder we get tired). When we sabotage (there's that word again) our bodies by not giving them the nutrients and exercise they require and/or giving them too much or the wrong kind of stress, they can become overworked, resulting in loss of energy, weight gain (or inappropriate loss) and/or disease.
So if you want to look your best and feel energized, you may want to change your thoughts from losing weight to gaining health. Just the fact of changing your thinking patterns from losing to gaining can put you into a more positive mental state and could be the first step on your personal journey to your goals.
© Jan Barosh 2004. Permission is granted to reprint this article in print or on your web site so long as the following paragraph is included and contact information is provided to http://www.janbarosh.com
Jan Barosh's degree is in health and physical education with post-graduate work in exercise science and psychology. She is a licensed corporate wellness coach and a certified teleclass leader and has helped adults and children be more healthy and fit for over 25 years. Jan has developed a unique weight management program called LifeWeight? which is being taught in the US and licensed for distribution in the UK.
Weight loss: Choosing a diet that's right for you | WPTZ Home - WPTZ Home ... - WPTZ The Champlain Valley
Healthy Living: Research shows that financial incentives improve weight loss ... - The Providence Journal
Weight Loss Tips, Tricks, And Tactics - Part 2
I personal lost 60 pounds in 2003. Here are some tactics I used to lose the weight.
Excess Weight - Is It Going To Kill You?
For many years, the experts, including our government have been telling Americans that obesity is a leading cause of preventable deaths. For example, as recently as January, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) ranked obesity as the second leading cause of preventable death, and estimated that about 365,000 Americans died as the result of obesity every year.
Weight Loss for Good - If Only You Had Known?
Whether coming from a close friend, the nightly news or from a letter in the mail, it's hard to face the truth at times. Hear-ing it can really cut to the core of our be-ings.
Weight Loss: Keeping Your Results Over the Summer
Having just returned from a week of basking on a beach, I couldn't help but notice how many over 30's were overweight and apparently doing little to help it.The other thing I noticed from chatting, was how many people had low carb dieted prior to getting to the beach, yet didn't seem to be following any diet now, except perhaps a weight gain diet.
What is the Glycemic Index?
Over the last 30 years, research into food and blood glucose response has completely changed our carbohydrate classification system.It has been learned that it is impossible to predict the impact on blood glucose levels by certain foods, instead people are fed carbohydrate foods and the response measured.
Understanding Weight Loss
A pound of fat represents approximately 3500 calories of storedenergy. In order to lose a pound of fat, you have to use 3500more calories than you consume.
Close Kept Secrets to Weight Loss Lesson #12
Are you just exploding with the presence of light all around you? Isn't it awesome when you take time out for yourself, how amazing you feel? Just keep believing in yourself and the miracles will keep happening. The right people will show up and the right opportunities will show up.
Protein Diet - What Does It Mean For Your Body?
To really understand the impact of a protein diet, it's important to know how it affects and interacts with your body.When we speak of your muscles, glands, and organs, they are mainly made up of protein.
Low-Carb Diets - An Introduction
According to a recent survey by the National Health Institute, about a third of overweight Americans who are trying to lose weight, are doing so by eating less carbohydrates (carbs) largely because of the increased popularity of fad diets like Atkins Diet and the South Beach Diet.Who Invented Low-Carb Diets?The term "low-carb" was coined around 1992 when the USDA recommended that Americans include six to eleven servings daily of grains and starches in their diet.
Weight Loss Workout Routine Benefits
Is a weight loss workout routine right for you? Answer the following questions to find out. Do you feel sluggish at the end of the day? Do you feel tired and stiff after a long day at work? Are you stressed out most of the time?Too many days without adequate exercise, rest and fresh air can leave you feeling as tired on the inside as weak muscles feel on the outside.
Dieting to Death
It has been 15 years since I was diagnosed with Bulimia Nervosa and I have been recovered for 12 years. To this day if I head for the washroom after a meal my mother feels the panic start to well up inside of her.
Hypnosis For Weight Loss - The perfect solution to losing weight
Temporary weight loss is easy!You simply starve yourself on the latest fad diet, and watch those extra pounds disappear..
Fitness through Exercise for Life - Principles that Keep You Going for Life!
ATTITUDESIT'S NOT ABOUT YOU!Exercising has so many physical benefits that most of uscan relate to, but what about the emotional andpsychological benefits it brings? Physical fitness, Ibelieve, touches far more than just our arms, arteries andwaistlines. It touches our very soul.
Walking for Fat Loss?
With obesity and disease increasing dramatically, many fitness experts are recommending walking for weight loss and fitness. Some are even going so far as saying that walking is the best way to burn fat and lose weight.
Im Freezing! Why Gastric Bypass Causes Patients to be Cold
Body temperature is the result of your body generating and radiating heat. The body is adept at keeping its temperature within a narrow range even though ambient air conditions vary.
Are Your Co-Workers Making You Fat? Avoiding Unexpected Treats
Taming the See Food Eat Food ResponseWhat happens when you're just minding your business and suddenly someone walks by with a delicious looking cake, muffins, or some other goodie you weren't expecting. You weren't hungry a minute ago but now you are suddenly ravenous.
Fidgeting: The Natural Weight Loss Diet
It's now official. The simple act of fidgeting can mean the difference between lean and obese.
Obesity, Whats The Big Deal
Nowadays, so much of the public is obese (fat) that it is the"norm". So much so, that we are starting to ignore thisepidemic.
How To Select A Weight Loss Program
Choosing a weight loss program may be a daunting task. You may not know what to look for in a weight-loss program or what questions to ask.
Binge Eating: Will This Cycle Ever Stop?
Here's a letter from my email:Dear Carol,I took your teleclass two years ago (I think). I reflect so often on everything the class covered that it seems like it was much more recently that I took the course.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.