|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Acupuncture Weight Loss? Plus 5 Step Weight Loss Plan
I remember back in my senior year of high school - my best friend since 5th grade was living in France. He wrote that they didn't like Americans much. "They think we're all fat," he said. With his own skinny frame, of course, he confounded their belief.
But, he added a funny, or perhaps ironic capstone to the issue. "I went to a store, and they were selling statues of these fat people, and, at the base of each one was written, 'American.'"
Obesity is not only an American problem. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), it's a global problem. They call it globesity. Parodoxically, their understanding of this problem began with their original mission to eliminate hunger and malnutrition. We live in a world where many have nothing to eat, and many eat too much. From 1995 to 2000, the number of obese adults worldwide mushroomed from 200 million to 300 million. That's a 50% increase in just 5 years!What is Obesity, and What is Overweight?
Overweight means an excess of body weight. This excess weight may be muscle, bone, fat, and/or body water. Obesity refers specifically to an abnormally high proportion of body fat. You can be overweight without being obese - for example, a bodybuilder or other highly-muscled athlete. But many people who are overweight are also obese.The main way to determine whether you are overweight or obese is with the body mass index (BMI). It doesn't directly measure body fat, and it's not gender specific, but it does give you a pretty reliable estimation.
To find your BMI, divide your weight (in kilograms) by your height in meters squared. Yep, for the math-challenged, that's complex, so I'll give you a website that will figure it out for you, the National Institute's of Health BMI calculator (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/). This will very quickly tell you if you are normal, overweight, or obese, and it does all the calculating and metric conversions for you!
Overweight is defined as a BMI above 25 (including those above 30 BMI, too), and obese is a BMI above 30. So, all obese people are overweight, but not all overweight people are obese.
The Obesity Epidemic
Obesity isn't just about not feeling good or having trouble getting dates?
* It leads to more than 300,000 premature deaths each year in the United States. 90,000 are preventable cancer deaths. (CDC)
* Severely obese men die 13 years sooner than men of normal weight (JAMA).
* As a killer in America, obesity is second only to tobacco. (CDC)
The Weight Loss Industry
* Spending: Americans spend between $40-50 billion per year to lose weight.
* Results: I haven't seen any recent news that Americans are getting any thinner - have you?
* Conclusion: What people are doing isn't working. If we want different results, we have to try a different solution.
Acupuncture Weight Loss: Fantasy, or Fact?
* Fantasy or Fact? As a well-trained and fairly conservative Chinese medicine practitioner, I had assumed that acupuncture for weight loss was a marketing fad and a patient fantasy.
* Evidence: But while researching my upcoming book Chinese Medicine: A Practical Guide to Optimal Healing, I found some surprisingly positive information that changed my mind.
Chinese Medicine's Collective Clinical Data on Acupuncture Weight Loss
Chinese Medicine has thousands of years of clinical experience. This collective data not as convincing as randomized controlled trials are, but it does contain truth - it's imperfect but still valid and important.
A U.S. government study in the 80's concluded that 85% of western medicine is based on clinical experience, not on research. (Office of Technology Assessment of the Congress of the United States, The Impact of Randomized Controlled Trials on Health Policy and Medical Practice, Background Paper OTA-BP-H-22. Also see Michael Millenson's book, Demanding Medical Excellence)
There is good Chinese Medicine research in Taiwan, Australia, and Europe that gets ignored by American scientists and media. Much research in Chinese has not even been translated into English.Seven Studies of Acupuncture for Weight Loss
How it works: By enhancing the function of two neuroendocrine pathways that regulate many bodily processes, including metabolism.
What it does:
* Lowers body weight, body fat, insulin levels, and lipid levels in the blood
* Decreases excessive appetite and makes it easier to satisfy your hunger with less food.
* Decreases menopausal weight gain
* In one study, acupuncture took off 10 pounds in 2 months - that translates to 60 lbs in a year!
* Combined with diet control, and aerobic counseling it not only takes off the pounds and body fat, but keeps them off, especially if you're diligent with their exercise.
(See references at end of article for the research)Ephedra misuse and mislegislation
Ephedra is a Chinese herb for colds and coughs. It has been misused to increase metabolism, and this misuse has caused numerous deaths. As a result, the FDA is considering a total ban on ephedra products. We can blame two major things:
1. Supplement companies that care more about your money than your health (no, not all of them are that way, but some of them are, especially the ones that market weight loss formulations).
2. The idea that you can medicate yourself safely with herbs - self-medication of any kind is risky. Self-medication with herbs is off the radar, and people generally think they can do it safely. The ephedra debacle is an example of how dangerous it can be.
Traditionally, Chinese herbs are given in formulas (not singly), which is safer and more personalized. They're prescribed by a Chinese medicine practitioner who diagnoses your specific imbalances first. Ephedra would never be given for weight loss, but only for certain kinds of colds and coughs, and only to people whose body's can handle it.
No traditional Chinese herbs should be outlawed without allowing Chinese medical practitioners to continue to use them traditionally.Food Cravings
* Problem #1 (Enzyme Deficiency): The foods you crave depending on your personal imbalances. Modern digestive science explains that when your body can't digest a food, you crave more of it - you're not getting what you need from it. This lead to a cycle of craving and overeating the exact food you can't digest.
* Problem #2 (Low Blood Sugar): Another vicious cycle happens when you can't digest complex carbs, so your blood sugar is low, so you eat simple carbs that raise your blood sugar which raises insulin, which lowers your blood sugar again, and your stuck eating donuts and feeling horrible.
* Solution: Enzymes (I recommend various enzyme formulations from a company called Transformations) and Chinese herbal formulas can help you digest your food and break both of these cycles
Weight can be lost safely if done slowly and naturally.
You can lose up to 2 lbs per week without gaining it back. That means you could lose 104 lbs this year and keep it off!
Positive change is like stretching a rubber band- if you stretch too far too fast, it breaks or snaps back on you.
So avoid the temptation to take an easy solution like ephedra or citrus aurantium (both misused Chinese herbs), because you'll gain the weight back, and you're risking heart problems and stroke.5 Things to Do Right NowTo Lose 10 Pounds Within 2 MonthsAnd Keep Them Off:
1. Avoid heavily marketed supplements - instead, see a professional trained herbalist (acupuncturist) - it's safer and more effective - my preference would be a Chinese medicine practitioner, but some very well-educated western herbalists are good too.
2. Acupuncture Weight Loss: See an acupuncturist/chinese herbalist - Get acupuncture (once to three times per week) to SAFELY regulate your metabolism and hunger-satisfaction. Your acupuncturist can also get you the herbs that will balance your digestion and cravings - and based on your Chinese pattern diagnosis, they can also give you personalized diet advice. Herbs and enzymes (specific formulations from the enzyme company, Transformations) can eliminate your food cravings.
3. Develop a plan and goals with your acupuncturist and aerobics instructor- make it realistic, and stick to it. If you mess up, don't beat yourself up, just get back on track as soon as you can. Any progress is better than none at all.
4. Eat less, exercise more - Eat a low fat diet, and don't miss breakfast! Weigh yourself regularly, and exercise an hour a day. Start by walking a few minutes each day, or take the stairs at work. Don't overdo it! Remember the rubber band. In fact, you may want to wear a rubber band on your wrist to remind yourself to make changes slowly. Get some aerobic exercise help- a public class, or private aerobic counseling.
5. Join a support group like Weight Watchers or Overeaters Anonymous. There's nothing like positive friends to encourage you and keep you on track. OA members say that this spiritual program of action has changed the way they relate to food.
References and Resources
1. Office of Technology Assessment of the Congress of the United States, The Impact of Randomized Controlled Trials on Health Policy and Medical Practice, Background Paper OTA-BP-H-22.
2. Michael Millenson's book, Demanding Medical Excellence
3. Effect of acupuncture on weight loss evaluated by adrenal function. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1993 Sep, 13(3):169-73.
4. Wozniak, P., Oszukowski, P., Stachowiak, G., and Szyllo, K. [The effectiveness of low-calorie diet or diet with acupuncture treatment in obese peri- and postmenopausal women] (in Polish). Ginekol.Pol. Vol.74 Issue 2 pp. 102-107. 2003
5. Acupuncture on Spleen, Stomach, and Ren Mai Channel Points for the Treatment of Stomach & Intestinal Replete Heat Pattern Simple Obesity. Abstracted & translated by Bob Flaws, Dipl. Ac. & C.H, Lic. Ac., FNAAOM, FRCHM
6. Richards D, Marley J. Stimulation of auricular acupuncture points in weight loss. Aust Fam Physician. 1998 Jul;27 Suppl 2:S73-7.
7. Zhao, M., Liu, Z., and Su, J. The time-effect relationship of central action in acupuncture treatment for weight reduction. J Tradit Chin Med Vol.20 Issue 1 pp. 26-29. 2000
8. Liu, Z. Mechanisms underlying the effects of acupuncture moxibustion on simple obesity complicated by hypertension. Inter J Clin Acup 371-378, 1995.
9. Studies of the Weight Loss Industry
10. Obesity prevalence and effect
11. Overeaters Anonymous
Brian Carter has been making herbs and acupuncture fun and easy to understand since 1999. He founded Pulse Media International (http://www.pulsemed.org), previously known as the Pulse of Oriental Medicine. He is the author of "Powerful Body, Peaceful Mind: How to Heal Yourself with Foods, Herbs, and Acupressure" (2004 - http://www.pulsemed.org/famous-author.htm)
Brian is a medical professor and public speaker. He writes articles, blogs (http://americas-acupuncturist.blogspot.com/), and speaks on radio across the country, and has been quoted and interviewed by publications like Real Simple, Glamour, and ESPN magazines.
Dallas Cowboys DE Jeremy Mincey credits weight loss of 25 to 30 pounds this ... - Dallas Morning News (blog)
Dieting While Partying!
It's really difficult for a person to socialise if he is on a Diet. Totally ignoring parties and invitation is definitely not a solution.
Weight Loss Efficiency - 10 Ways To Make The Most Out Of Your Gym Workout!
My name is Greg Ryan. I am a high profile fitness expert, champion bodybuilder and best selling author.
Move, Move, Move for Greater Weight Loss
The loss of fat comes from fat cells all over the body, not from one or more specific area's so spot reduction of a certain area is not possible. The main priority of this article is to show you the quickest and safest way to lose fat from the body.
11 Steps to Guarantee Weight Loss and Fitness Success
1. Persistence!Violate this step and you'll never achieve permanent results.
Weight Loss and Dieting Secret #1 - IN and OUT
Any dietary plan on the market has some portion of it that works, but the basic principle of any good eating program, no matter how sugarcoated, centers around calories IN- calories OUT.The eating "only one type of food diets" will not be effective, and such a restricted diet defeats you mentally.
Lose Weight on Hips and Thighs: A Quest for Slimmer Hips and Thighs!
Losing weight on hips and thighs has always been a dream. And yes, dreams come true! It is usually difficult to lose weight from thighs and hips as compared to abdomen.
Weight Loss Programs: Which Weight Loss Program Will Really Work?
Weight loss programs often have big claims. Understand the "science" behind weight loss, and you'll zero in on the achievable ones.
4 Tips for Fast Fat Loss Part I
Fat Loss Tip #1) Train With WeightsWorking out with weights when trying to lose body fat has numerous important benefits. First, an intense weight training session burns calories during the actual workout.
Obesity Acceptance and Fat Acceptance: Different Labels; Same Dangerous Message
Obesity acceptance, also known as fat acceptance, has a simple, appealing message..
How to Break a Weight Loss Plateau
Healthy eating has become part of your life, but you're still 10 or less pounds short of your goal weight. Don't worry.
Weight Loss Equals Behavior Change - The Acceptance Factor
Get to the ROOT of the matter: If the plants in your garden are not healthy looking, just trimming them back will not take care of the problem. What do the roots look like? I am no psychologist, but there is a very interesting twist you need to understand before you begin any weight loss or fitness program.
Heel Pain and Obesity: The Chicken or the Egg?
A new survey has found that heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis, a problem affecting almost a third of people who are overweight, often limits exercise and therefore makes it difficult for people to lose weight. The survey of 381 adult Americans, conducted by Heeling Solutions LLC, (www.
Protein - Its Place In Your Weight Loss Program
Any food that we take into our bodies is composed of macronutrients, micronutrients and water. The macronutrients (macro = large) are protein, fat and carbohydrates; the micronutrients (micro = small) are vitamins, minerals and trace elements.
The Hated Cellulite Cure That Works
Cellulite is not a medical condition or an aesthetic mutiny perpetrated by your thighs. It's just excess fat that we've relegated as unsightly.
What to Eat After Gastric Bypass Surgery
Many people are under the impression that gastric bypass surgery is the easy way out of obesity. However, those that believe this unfortunately misunderstand the operation and its lifestyle and mind altering effects.
The Ultimate Weight Loss Red-Flag Guide
Weight Loss Red Flag GuideDespite claims to the contrary, there are no magic potions or effortless ways to burn off fat. There are thousands upon thousands of weight loss web sites, low carb diets, diet pills and other "so-called experts" that prey on desperate overweight people and use overly optimistic claims that get you to believe and buy into their flat out lies -- reaping billions of dollars each year while your left still overweight and looking for answers.
Weight Loss Doesnt Work
Your brain has this really interesting system that is kind of like a search engine on the internet. It is called your RAS for short.
After WLS Patients Must Give-up Coffee, Tea, Soda and Alcohol to Sustain Weight Loss
Dieters are often told - drink water. Drink a minimum of 64 ounces a day - eight glasses a day.
Obesity, Whats The Big Deal
Nowadays, so much of the public is obese (fat) that it is the"norm". So much so, that we are starting to ignore thisepidemic.
What Every Woman Needs!
As a woman, your body is very complex. Throughout every phase of your life you will require extra care and nutritional support.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.