|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
7 Tips to Help You Beat Your Sugar Habit
Are you often overcome with an urge to splurge on candy, cookies, and cake - and do you then hate yourself for caving into your cravings?
Do you pop by the drug store for paper goods but always leave with junk food, too? And do you feel like an incurable sugar addict with zero will power?
Take heart. You can quit (or at least cut back on) both sweets and processed, "much-like-sugar carbs" such as white bread, white rice, and pasta.
Back in 1998, I did just that. After diagnosing hypoglycemia, my M.D. told me that eliminating quickie carbs could banish my low-blood sugar symptoms, including my ferocious headaches, unexpected mood swings, debilitating "brain fog" and severe PMS.
Amazingly, all 44 ailments disappeared! I do not exaggerate! After kicking sweets, I felt reborn!
That's why I'm now on a mission to help you, too, break free of your habit. I know that spurning inferior sweets and quickie carbs could turn your life around. You could benefit if you're hypoglycemic, diabetic, overweight -- or if you're just wanting more energy and better concentration.
Here's the non-sugar-coated scoop. If you continue to over-indulge in these nutrient-lacking foods you could:
? Pack on the pounds
If, instead, you choose quality, fiber-filled carbs, you could:
? Peel off excess weight
Pretty promising, eh?
Here, then, are 7 tried-and-true tips and tactics to help you "just say no" to quickie carbs:
1. Adjust your mindset - and pronto! Before you can begin to make better dietary decisions, you need to totally change your thoughts. Toss away such negative views as: "Oh, boo hoo, I don't want to quit sweets!" Instead, dwell on positive ideas like this: "Wow, I'll feel so great by kicking quickie carbs." Now fill your mind with pleasant, powerful images. Visualize yourself easily turning down low-quality carbs and becoming a happier, healthier, sweeter you. See yourself in charge instead of enslaved.
2. Plan a pity party. I know this might sound counter-productive, but I'm convinced that before you cut out low-quality carbs, allotting a specific, short amount of time - say, a week - to feeling sorry for yourself can work wonders. But then get over it and get on with it!
3. Watch yourself like a lab rat. Begin to face your truth by keeping a food journal. Jot down what drives you to simple carbs, when you clamor for them, where you eat them, why you want them, and how you get them (i.e., do you stealthily drive across town in the middle of night to buy a carton of ice cream because you need it?) Journaling can be potent preparation for stomping out your sugar habit!
4. Power up with PFF. By this I mean, pump up the protein (such as fish, chicken, tofu, legumes and lean meats), fill up with fiber (vegetables, fruits and whole grains), and embrace healthy fats (olive oil, flax seeds, avocado, etc.) - consuming them all in moderation, of course. These three dietary changes alone can help moderate your blood sugar levels, take the edge off your appetite, keep you feel satisfied longer, and provide needed nourishment.
5. Relish the goodies provided by Mother Nature. Learn to savor the flavor of fresh, natural, wholesome, colorful, nutritious, preferably organic vegetables and low-sugar fruits. Next time you yearn for something sweet, enjoy a few tasty cherry tomatoes, a chunk of red pepper, or several fresh strawberries. Yum! (Nibble on some protein at the same time to keep your blood sugar stable.)
6. Begin with breakfast. Always start your day with a healthy meal - you know, something like a veggie-filled omelet with a piece of orange or a small bowl of slow-cooking oatmeal. Many research studies show that breakfast eaters concentrate and perform better. If you skip that vital first meal of the day, you're setting yourself up for overwhelming sugar cravings. (Many nutritionists and physicians I interviewed often emphasized the benefits of breakfast.)
7. Develop a kick-butt attitude. Abandon that woe-is-me stance! Tap into your inner strength instead. Even if you're furious with yourself for having eaten nutrient-poor foods for so long, use that anger to reinforce your "I-can-do-it" attitude. Because you can! Now go for it and trust in your ability to succeed. Believe me, you can "Enjoy a Sweeter Life Without Refined Sweets.?"
Connie Bennett is an experienced journalist and an expert/coach to help you kick your sugar habit. She is author of the book SUGAR SHOCK! (upcoming), for which she interviewed more than 250 recognized physicians, nutritionists, researchers and health advocates. Visit and speak out at her lively, provocative SugarShockBlog.com. Make sure to get your free report, "Sly Hidden Sugars," and your free e-zine at http://www.StopSugarShock.com
You may reproduce or distribute this article online, provided that you include the following: Copyright © 2005, All Rights Reserved, Connie Bennett, Stop SUGAR SHOCK!(TM), A Sweeter You, LLC.
Also, when this article's published elsewhere, please notify Connie by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diet Doc Alerts Patients about Deceptive Weight Loss Advertisements and Unsafe ... - GlobeNewswire (press release)
For some of us, food is warmth and love. We associate it with home and childhood: tempting smells that greeted us after school on a cold December afternoon.
An Introduction to Gastric Bypass Surgery
Obesity, once seen as akin to laziness and overeating, is now understood as a complex disorder having to do with genetics and hormonal as well as lifestyle factors. People seem to have very different energy requirements; some can eat half as much as others and weigh the same.
7 Diet Tips For Rapid Weight Loss
1. Quit snacking in between meals.
Why Did Your Diet Fail You? Or Did You Fail Your Diet?
Are you someone who has, in the past, been on a diet, only to find at the end of it you had lost no weight? Despite putting your best efforts into the diet much of the time, and keeping quite close to recommendations when it came to calories and so on, for some reason things did not quite work out. Eventually, with the pounds drifting off too slowly and back on again too quickly, you just gave up, and went back to "normal".
FAT LOSS: The Truth On Fat Loss And How To Achieve It!
Fat Loss in GeneralThis morning I conducted a search engine "search" on the word fat loss. "Fat Loss" and "Fat Loss Supplements", being the most popular keywords, came up with a combined 1800 links, in one search engine.
How Do I Begin A Fat Loss Plan?... Let Me Count The Ways!
Most people are unsure about how to begin a fat loss program. They have many questions about food choices, meal composition and exercise.
Lipo Boom Reality
Are you feeling down and out? Do you feel even worse when you look in the mirror? Cosmetic surgeons tell us you are not alone. They say the popularity of reality television shows like ABC TV's "Extreme Makeover" has led to an increasing boom in cosmetic surgery.
Gastric Bypass - The Nightmare for Food Lovers
While the gastric bypass may seem like the perfect solution to those who are obese, I'd like to explain just how the surgery affects the lifestyle of those who've had gastric bypass surgery.If the lovers of food really know the drastic lifestyle change involved in the months and years after gastric bypass surgery then, unless they we're considering the operations for alleviating an immediate health concern, certainly wouldn't go through with the gastric bypass procedure.
Avoid Weight Gain After WLS: Learn the Difference Between Snacking and Grazing
Gastric bypass patients often find themselves regaining weight soon after reaching goal weight. The reason? They return to the poor dietary behaviors of snacking and grazing thus eating around the gastric bypass system.
Is the New "High-protein Low-saturated Fat" Diet the Answer to Weight Loss?
The heated debate, within diet circles, that began a few years ago and continues today is over the effectiveness of the high-protein, low-carbohydrate, type diet versus its counterpart, the high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet.To the delight of the Atkins diet enthusiasts, recent studies have suggested that a diet high in protein and low in fat has a greater effect on diet induced thermogenesis (calorie burning) than a high carbohydrate low fat diet.
If Youre Eating High Protein Be Informed about Mad Cow
Finding Mad Cow in Oregon puts a new wrinkle in the high protein diet, doesn't it? What's a person to do that wants to eat more meat, not less? Are you Eating Less Meat Due to Mad Cow Disease? Not the people I've spoken with. Most are saying, "Yipee, beef's on sale!" The food industry has done a great job of convincing us they are providing a safe food supply and we've been lulled into a false sense of security.
Low Fat versus Low Carb Diets
Diets, diets, diets..
A Full Scale War
It happens every morning when you mosey out of bed, somewhere between the time you take off that robe and the instant you step into the shower. For others, it happens immediately after a workout, as soon as you peel off those sweaty clothes and stand aimlessly in your birthday suit.
Were Cave Dwellers Ever Fat?
In our mind's eye, we see our ancient ancestors as they have been depicted in paintings, stories, films, and scientific recreations. Small, wiry, hairy figures surrounding a huge beast, poised for the kill.
From Now On, Europe Focuses On Dieting Pills
A state of emergency has been recently put on European Union agenda. In the next ten years, European countries will be "on diet".
High Carbs/Low Fat Diets and Cardio Vascular Disease
For the past 20 years, the American public has been bombarded with the message: "Fat is bad!" As a result, our food supply is now inundated with "low fat" foods, engineered foods and foods processed to remove natural fats. In every instance, low fat foods are loaded with carbohydrates.
Why Most Diets Dont Work
Ever thought of, known someone, or gone on a diet? You probably have. The word diet seems like a common word for someone who is unsatisfied with their current physical condition.
How Does Phentermine Work? Learn How To Stop Neurotransmitter Depletion
Why has Phentermine stopped helping me lose weight?Many people are experiencing the same problem you face right now. We're all in the same boat when it comes to being frustrated about Phentermine tolerance.
Diet and Weightloss -- Start Your New Year Off Right!
FINDING THE PERFECT DIETArriving at the Perfect Diet is no quick, simple task in today's world of fast-paced living. For example, there are several different educational food pyramid plans.
4 Keys to Weight Loss
First off, let me start by saying this list is by no means exhaustive. However, if you can manage these 4 important components of a weight loss program, you will be on your way to a slimmer body.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © BoxingScene.com LLC. All rights reserved.