|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Helping Your Overweight Child
With the rise of obesity and the increasing incidence of type 2 diabetes occurring in children, many parents are now faced with helping an overweight child. This may not be a daunting as first seems and here are some simple, but effective steps to take to help your child develop eating habits and active lifestyle that will assist improve their health.
· Tell your child that he or she is loved, is special, and is important. Children's feelings about themselves often are based on their parents' feelings about them.
· Accept your child at any weight. Children will be more likely to accept and feel good about themselves when their parents accept them.
· Listen to your child's concerns about his or her weight. Overweight children probably know better than anyone else that they have a weight problem. They need support, understanding, and encouragement from parents.
Encourage healthy eating habits
· Buy and serve more fruits and vegetables (fresh, frozen, or canned). Let your child choose them at the store.
· Buy fewer soft drinks and high fat/high calorie snack foods like chips, cookies, and candy. These snacks are OK once in a while, but keep healthy snack foods on hand too and offer them to your child more often.
· Eat breakfast every day. Skipping breakfast can leave your child hungry, tired, and looking for less healthy foods later in the day.
· Plan healthy meals and eat together as a family. Eating together at meal times helps children learn to enjoy a variety of foods.
· Eat fast food less often. When you visit a fast food restaurant, try the healthful options offered.
· Offer your child water or low-fat milk more often than fruit juice. Fruit juice is a healthy choice but is high in calories.
· Do not get discouraged if your child will not eat a new food the first time it is served. Some kids will need to have a new food served to them 10 times or more before they will eat it.
· Try not to use food as a reward when encouraging kids to eat. Promising dessert to a child for eating vegetables, for example, sends the message that vegetables are less valuable than dessert. Kids learn to dislike foods they think are less valuable.
· Start with small servings and let your child ask for more if he or she is still hungry. It is up to you to provide your child with healthy meals and snacks, but your child should be allowed to choose how much food he or she will eat.
Healthy snack foods for your child to try:
o Fresh fruit
o Fruit canned in juice or light syrup
o Small amounts of dried fruits such as raisins, apple rings, or apricots
o Fresh vegetables such as baby carrots, cucumber, zucchini, or tomatoes
o Reduced fat cheese or a small amount of peanut butter on whole-wheat crackers
o Low-fat yogurt with fruit
Foods that are small, round, sticky, or hard to chew, such as raisins, whole grapes, hard vegetables, hard chunks of cheese, nuts, seeds, and popcorn can cause choking in children under age 4. You can still prepare some of these foods for young children, for example, by cutting grapes into small pieces and cooking and cutting up vegetables. Always watch your toddler during meals and snacks.
Encourage daily physical activity
Like adults, kids need daily physical activity. Here are some ways to help your child move every day:
· Set a good example. If your children see that you are physically active and have fun, they are more likely to be active and stay active throughout their lives.
· Encourage your child to join a sports team or class, such as soccer, dance, basketball, or gymnastics at school or at your local community or recreation center.
· Be sensitive to your child's needs. If your child feels uncomfortable participating in activities like sports, help him or her find physical activities that are fun and not embarrassing.
· Be active together as a family. Assign active chores such as making the beds, washing the car, or vacuuming. Plan active outings such as a trip to the zoo or a walk through a local park.
· Because his or her body is not ready yet, do not encourage your pre-adolescent child to participate in adult-style physical activity such as long jogs, using an exercise bike or treadmill, or lifting heavy weights. FUN physical activities are best for kids.
· Kids need a total of about 60 minutes of physical activity a day, but this does not have to be all at one time. Short 10- or even 5-minute bouts of activity throughout the day are just as good. If your children are not used to being active, encourage them to start with what they can do and build up to 60 minutes a day.
Kim Beardsmore is a weight loss consultant. Tons of recipes, articles, free ezine, meal plans and resources to help you lose weight through excellence in nutrition. Estimate your healthy weight, free newsletter and more at http://www.weight-loss-health.com.au
Nevada County loses 1206 pounds in South Yuba Club Weight Loss Challenge - The Union of Grass Valley
The Second Half of My Life
Have you ever wondered where destiny would lead you? Have you ever pondered whether the road you are taking would lead to fulfillment and happiness? Unlike so many of my friends and family, I have always had the sure knowledge of what was expected of me.It was under a shade tree surrounded by my teddy bears and dolls that it came to me- I would have six children, write books that would help families, have the opportunity to speak and teach all over the world, and I would live to be 97 years old.
Weight Loss vs. Body Fat - Mirrors and Clothes dont Lie!
With the growing epidemic of diabetes and obesity in our country, we fitness experts must education you on how to slow them down or give you some form of prevention guidelines.First, what does it mean to be obese? Obese means that at least thirty percent of your weight is made up of fat.
Mamma Said: Keep Your Fingers Out Of Your Mouth
Watching television exercises our eyes but nothing else. Unfortunately, it doesn't require us to do anything with our hands which leaves them free to grab something to eat.
Why You Must Eat Before Going to Bed?
You have probably heard the old myth, that you should not eat before bed, because all the food you eat will be stored as fat. That is simply not true.
Are Your Co-Workers Making You Fat? Avoiding Unexpected Treats
Taming the See Food Eat Food ResponseWhat happens when you're just minding your business and suddenly someone walks by with a delicious looking cake, muffins, or some other goodie you weren't expecting. You weren't hungry a minute ago but now you are suddenly ravenous.
Exercise and Weight Loss for Life - The Magic Formula Doctors DONT Want You to Know!
In twenty years of consistant exercising, maintaining a low percentage of body fat and working with thousands of successful stories in weight loss, here are three of the best attitudes to use for a weight loss and exercise program for the rest of your life.ATTITUDE #1: IT'S NOT ABOUT THE NUMBERS!The health clubs are always racking their brains trying to figure out why they have such a hard time keeping members coming back.
Is Avoiding Sweets Driving You Nuts? Put the Nuts to Work for You
You can overcome the desires of your sweet-tooth by incorporating some intelligent snacking. Sometimes dieting and weight control can drive you nuts -- well, we're going to put those nuts to work for us.
Gastric Bypass Surgery - What Are The Risks?
Although all of the risks involved in gastric bypass surgery aren't fully known, there are many that are. These include possible infection, clotting of the blood, and the development of gallstones, a bleeding ulcer and even pneumonia.
Youll Need Total Will Power To Undergo Weight Loss
How much will power does it take in order to go through the torment of weight loss? Though the answer to weight loss varies from each individual, all it takes is the correct attitude, admitting to yourself that you do have the desire of letting lose the unwanted pounds.For years, people all over may have experienced the defeat from their own lack of self-will, thinking that weight loss is not worth the pain.
The College Student's Guide for EASY WEIGHT LOSS!
Weight loss is a hot topic among college students today, especially considering the fact that most college freshmen gain half a pound every week! Since the schedule of college students is almost always hectic, weight loss efforts are not a priority. With so little extra time it is impractical to join the latest diet fad or commit to sweating in the gym for hours at a time.
5 Natural Weight Loss Tips For A More Beautiful You
Living a powerful, healthy, fit and trim life is a true goal formany of us. Despite the easy cures in the form of weightloss drugsand dangerous fad diets, there are still plenty of natural, safehabits we can make a part of our daily routine to start us on thispath.
Gastric Bypass Surgery, an Overview
With the number of people suffering from obesity rising so rapidly in America it was only a matter of time before the miracle cure for those who were morbidly obese. Is it all really as simple as stapling your stomach?The gastric bypass has suffered both positive and negative press since it's availability to the general public.
Lost Weight with Gastric Bypass? Hints for Great After Pictures
I clearly remember how much I loathed having my picture taken when I was morbidly obese. Actually, I didn't mind having the picture taken, it was seeing the picture of the sad fat lady that bothered me.
The Benefits of Omega3 Fatty Acids - Losing Weight with Fat!
Essential Fats for Weight LossOver the past few decades, the cornerstone of a good, solid weight loss plan has included studying the 'Nutrition Information' on food packaging, thumbing nervously through a 600 page (yet implausibly titled 'pocket sized') calorie counter and triumphantly and guiltlessly striding down supermarket aisles with a trolley brimming with exquisitely packaged, molecule sized, fat free food.To most people, avoiding fat (or consuming as little as possible) is the sure-fire path to a slim and slender body.
Are Weight Loss Supplements Worth It?
What do you think of the hundreds of weight loss supplements out there on the shelves today? Are they worth the money? Will they actually help you lose weight? How do you know which ones are going to work for you? Is there any proof that these products work?I've taken some time and researched some of the most popular product to try to find the answers for you. The truth is, most products won't help you lose anything but money.
Hold The Onions: Your Liver and Its Importance In Fighting the Battle of the Bulge
Hold the onions! Let's talk "liver". No, not beef liver, but human liver and its relationship to weight loss.
A New Option for Weight Loss Surgery
These days, Jennifer Secrist has little interest in idle activities. The 23-year-old loves to rock climb, hike, ride her mountain bike, and do almost anything that gets her outside and moving.
Weight Loss & Health Tips Revealed: Can I Be Fit And Fat?
We all have an image of "fit" - lean, even thin, with a healthy glow. Many researchers are now beginning to question that picture of fitness - there may be more to being "fit" and less to being "fat" than conventional wisdom suggests.
Record Your Meals To Lose Weight
Are you one of the many people who feel frustrated because you think you eat well and exercise regularly, but you just can't seem to lose weight? If so, a food journal is a great tool to help you reach your weight loss goals. It will help to determine any patterns in your eating habits, it will force you to be accountable for what you eat, and it will help you to see where you are consuming your "hidden" calories.
What are the Benefits of the Low-carb Diet?
Are you one of those who hate dieting? Well, you are not alone, almost all of us hate the deprivation from food that dieting brings to us. Aside from the fact that our parents raise us to believe that food intake is necessary to keep us energetic, especially carbohydrates.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.