|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Weight Loss Plateaus -- 7 Easy Steps to Overcome It
Have you ever experienced this scenario before?
"I have successfully lost 15 of the 25 pounds that I want to lose, but now I am stuck at the same weight even though I am faithfully controlling my food intake and doing my exercises. What happened? Is the diet not working anymore?"
Yes, many women over 40 start off their weight loss programs full of excitement and determination, and indeed you do see the pounds dropping off over the first few weeks.
That's great, of course.
However, the next thing you know is that your progress has come to a dead stop...
...and you have just hit the dreaded weight loss "plateau."
But don't despair -- you are _not_ the only one experiencing this.
Hitting a plateau is a common experience for most women over 40 on a weight loss program.
And it can be one of the most de-motivating things to happen.
Thankfully, overcoming it is easy... IF you know the simple steps you can take.
Today, I'm going to show you some very simple and specific steps you can take to overcome your plateaus:
1. Be careful of the little things: It's easy to lapse into complacency over time, so I suggest that you keep a food diary. Writing down what you eat each day can help you to spot those times when you might be taking in more food than you realize. A little snack here and there can (and will) add up to a lot of extra calories.
2. It may not be the food: Sometimes, it's not the food per se that is the cause of the plateau. For example, work or family stress may be the culprit instead. Stress can cause you to want to go dig into that tub of chocolate ice cream. If you are feeling stressed, it's important to acknowledge it right now, and go find some other forms of relief other than reaching out for more (typically unhealthy) food. Go take a walk, listen to music or play with your dog instead!
3. Start off on the right foot: You got to eat something for breakfast every day. Not only will you start the day with your stomach feeling satisfied, eating breakfast actually kick starts your metabolism so that you'll burn more calories throughout the day.
4. Eat more often: Instead of eating 3 big regular meals each day, opt to have 5 smaller meals. After you eat, your body releases the hormone insulin, which causes your body to store fat. The larger the meal, the more insulin your body releases. But smaller, more frequent meals keep insulin levels lower and more stable. The less insulin you have in your blood, the more fat you burn, and the less you store.
5. Try water first: If you're feeling "hungry," try drinking a glass of water first before you go grab something to much on. Sometimes we confuse thirst for hunger, and end up eating more food unnecessarily. If the water doesn't make that hunger pang go away, you can always grab something to eat later. And the bonus is that the water would have helped you to feel fuller, so you don't have to eat as much!
6. Avoid snacks at night: After you've had your dinner, do not snack or eat supper. And never ever eat just before you go to bed. Take it from Oprah -- she says that one of her secrets to her successful weight loss is that she does not eat anything after 7:30pm... not even a grape.
7. Try a weekly one-day "cleanse": Choose 1 day in the week to cleanse your system by taking only vegetable juices. And please use fresh vegetable juices if you can, and avoid the canned stuff that are chock-full of sodium or added sugars!
Apply these 7 simple steps and you too will be able to overcome those plateaus easily.
Copyright 2005 Tracy Lee
Tracy Lee is the owner of the "Weight Loss for Women Over 40" site. Get the latest news, tips & tricks that can help women over 40 to lose weight safely and permanently, and your complimentary copy of our Special Report "9 Little-Known Insider Weight Loss Secrets To Help Women Over 40 Make Those Extra Pounds Disappear" instantly here: http://www.weight-loss-for-women-over-40.com/insidersecrets/
This article is available for reprint in your ezine, website or e-book. You MUST agree not to make any changes to the article and the RESOURCE BOX MUST be included WITH A LIVE LINK back to our website. Otherwise reprint is prohibited.
Dr. OZ Garcinia Cambogia Exposed: New weight loss supplement by Bauer ... - Newswire (press release)
Planning Your Diet
We have plans for everything these days. That is how we can fit 100 different things into each day.
Weight Loss & Health Tips Revealed: Can I Be Fit And Fat?
We all have an image of "fit" - lean, even thin, with a healthy glow. Many researchers are now beginning to question that picture of fitness - there may be more to being "fit" and less to being "fat" than conventional wisdom suggests.
Diet Fads: Supermarket Sheep
Eighteen or twenty years ago, I was into high protein, high fat, low carbohydrate diets, courtesy of the original Atkins Diet Revolution and, to an even greater extent, Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet (which I must admit I still prefer to Atkins but that's merely personal taste). At the time, every aisle was loaded with labels proclaiming Low Fat or Reduced Fat.
Gastric Bypass Surgery - Just The Facts
Gastric Bypass surgery is becoming increasingly more popular for the morbid obese. In order to qualify for the surgery, you must have a body mass index of more than 40, which usually translates to being 100 or more pounds overweight.
Are Weight Loss Supplements Worth It?
What do you think of the hundreds of weight loss supplements out there on the shelves today? Are they worth the money? Will they actually help you lose weight? How do you know which ones are going to work for you? Is there any proof that these products work?I've taken some time and researched some of the most popular product to try to find the answers for you. The truth is, most products won't help you lose anything but money.
Super Sizing: Money Shrinks While Waist Lines Grow
"Your Eyes are Bigger Than Your Stomach""Your eyes are bigger than your stomach," my mother said, which meant, "No, you can't have a milk shake." She didn't think my 10-year old appetite was sufficient to finish all that food, and she was probably right.
Fat Loss Exercise Strategies
How many calories you consume has a big impact on fat loss or gain. If you eat more calories than your body is able to burn will result in weight gain.
2 Ways To Start Burning More Calories Today
1. Start Exercising first thing in the morning.
Rapid Weight Loss Tips, Techniques and Strategies
It seems everyone is looking for that magic bullet - rapid weight loss secret that will instantly shed excess weight and turn you into a supermodel.The fact is, there are healthy, effective and simple techniques you can use to achieve weight loss - and keep it off over the long term.
Weight Loss Tips, Tricks, and Tactics - Part 1
I personal lost 60 pounds in 2003. Here are some tactics I used to lose the weight.
Survival Guide For Holiday Parties
If you have been watching your weight all year, you certainly won't want to add back the pounds during the holiday season! By making a commitment to yourself and your health, with these tips it will be possible to enjoy the holiday celebrations without adding extra pounds.1.
Unearth the Weight Loss Values in an Egg
At the University of Illinois, a new research found that eating high quality protein such as protein found in eggs can help weight loss. An essential amino acid leucine reduces muscle tissue loss, promotes body fat loss and stabilizes blood glucose levels.
Managing Cravings with EFT
There are several ways to manage cravings. You can: Attempt to stop eating the food you crave entirely (out of sight out of mind).
A Diet Made For You Will Make All The Difference
To achieve your goals you need a diet that takes into account who you are and what you want.People diet for lots of reasons, and with lots of aims in mind.
Why Did I Do That? How to Deal with a Lapse in Your Weight Loss Efforts
A bad day or even a bad week is not enough to "break your diet" unless you let it get you down. It's what you eat over the long run that counts.
The Jiggle Effect on Faster Weight Loss
Exercise Physiologists who study the effects of exercise on weight loss, have determined that the "jiggling" or shaking of excess body fat when someone walks fast or jogs, in combination with the muscle contractions invlovled in that activity, causes weight loss. I call it the "jiggle effect".
Lose Weight and Get Fit by Getting Fat
Getting enough of the good fats will help you lose fat, build muscle, and recover faster from your workouts. In addition, it has myriad health benefits, including being good for your heart.
How To Cop An Attitude With An Overzealous Hostess
We all encounter those hosts and hostesses who feel it is their duty to make us eat whatever their specialty is and generate a sense of guilt if we do not flatter their creation by stuffing ourselves with it, regardless of our weight control plans and weight loss goals. Here are some nice ways to decline her offering.
Fat Lady in a Thin Body: WLS Patients Feel Like Imposters
Every weight loss surgery patient I've met said they at sometime during the weight loss experience felt like a fraud. A fraud is someone who pretends to be what they are not, an imposter.
The Truth About Weight Loss Marketing
Weight loss, diets and "carbs" are common household topics. There is always a new pill or product that really is supposed to work.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.