|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Hold The Onions: Your Liver and Its Importance In Fighting the Battle of the Bulge
Hold the onions! Let's talk "liver". No, not beef liver, but human liver and its relationship to weight loss. This king of the organs is so important in our battle of the bulge, it's worth spending some quality time discussing it.
According to the American Liver Foundation, the liver is responsible for the following functions (and more):
· to convert the food we eat into stored energy, and chemicals necessary for life and growth;
· to act as a filter to remove alcohol and toxic substances from the blood and convert them to substances that can be excreted from the body;
· to process drugs and medications absorbed from the digestive system, enabling the body to use them effectively and ultimately dispose of them;
· to manufacture and export important body chemicals used by the body, one of these being bile, a greenish-yellow substance essential for the digestion of fats in the small intestine.
It is the fourth function that we are mostly concerned with, but it cannot be viewed except in light of the others. What I mean is that the liver has the ability to do only a certain amount of work in a day. If it is damaged or busy removing contaminants from the body, there is not enough time for it to deal with the fats that we consume. If not dealt with immediately, excess fat will be stored away until it can be.
The bile produced by our liver is passed along to the gall bladder, which then releases it in order to emulsify the fat. An emulsion is simply the combination of two or more items that will not naturally mix on their own. Think of oil and vinegar. On their own they separate; if mixed with a chemical emulsifier, they can be "forced" to remain together in an emulsion.
What practical application can this have for you? This means that you need to make sure that your liver isn't working overtime to remove toxins and such from your system, and make sure that you eat things that will help the liver to work at its utmost efficiency.
In the avoiding toxicity category, here are a few simple suggestions:
1. Avoid unnecessary drugs. Medicines are chemicals and must be removed by the liver. If you don't take them, your liver won't waste time removing them.
2. Avoid drinking alcohol. Your liver will have to work to remove it from your blood.
3. Avoid absorbing chemicals into your body. Wear a mask when using aerosols, wear rubber gloves when handling liquid chemicals, and NEVER use a solvent to "clean" paint, ink, or other sticky contaminants from your skin. Doing so causes the solvent and the contaminant to be absorbed into your body.
4. Avoid steroids and other hormones whenever possible.
As far as consuming, or not, certain foods, here are some guidelines:
1. Eat lots of fresh, preferably organic, fruits. Do not eat the canned fruit in sugary syrup.
2. Eat lots of fresh, preferably organic vegetables. These can be juiced and seasoned if the raw veggies alone are not palatable.
3. Reduce (dramatically) the amount of processed (refined) carbohydrates such as pasta, pastries, bread, and most other commercially baked goods.
4. Avoid hydrogenated fats. If a fat can sit in a can for ten years and not go rancid, how can you expect your body to easily process it? Margarine, shortening and most oils should be avoided. Extra virgin olive oil is one exception to this rule.
5. Avoid dairy products - especially those that can contain hormones and pesticides.
6. Avoid deep fat fried foods. Duh...
7. Try to drink a gallon of water a day. A reader once asked if lemon squeezed into water would help you lose weight. I read recently that fresh lemon juice helps the liver to produce bile, which is definitely advantageous.
8. Drink Aloe Vera gel or juice. Aloe Vera helps to cleanse the liver and to flush fat deposits from the liver.
9. Eat more fiber. Not only does fiber readily attach itself to fat and help to clean the digestive tract, but it also helps to sweep toxins out of your system, thus limiting their ability to circulate back into the blood.
Some of these tips may seem redundant or obvious but it's very important to think of them in light of your liver and its ability to metabolize fat. If you do all that you can do to make your liver as effective as possible, it will do its best job as a fat-removing machine. As we can see here, there is more to keeping our liver efficient than just eating the right foods!
Reference: www.liverfoundation.org The Liver Foundation
Michael Callen is the author of the Weekly Weightloss Tips Newsletter (ccwebgroup.com/tips) and the Chief Technology Officer for http://www.WellnessPartners.com, an online retailer of dozens of health and wellness products such as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), r+ alpha lipoic acid (R+ ALA), and Green Tea Extract.
4 Tips for Fast Fat Loss Part II
Fat Loss Tip #2) Drink More WaterI know, I know, we've all heard this one over and over again. But how many of us really drink enough water? I'm talking at least 10 8 ounce glasses of water a day, minimum.
Diet Sodas & Losing Weight: Is Diet Coke Good Or Dangerous For Healthy Weight Loss?
Zero Calorie Diet Sodas: Good Or Bad For Weight Loss?Calorie-free diet sodas, like Diet Coke?, Diet Pepsi? or Diet-7 Up? seem very good for weight loss or maintenance, compared to their sugar-saturated counterparts. For example, just a cup of orange juice contains a whopping 110 calories.
Americas Secret Addiction
America is a nation of self-disclosers, amiably acceptant of our weaknesses. Celebrities, family members, coworkers and friends think nothing of admitting their compulsions and dependencies on alcohol, street drugs, prescription medications.
Obesity and Fat Control Myths
- Are your ideas of obesity and fat control based on a myth? -For years we heard that a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet would keep us healthy and help us lose weight. And many of us jumped on the bandwagon.
Slimmer Legs... Stress-Free
Well, with the success of my article, "Wrinkle Remover That WORKS!!", I realize that there is a really strong interest in getting information that is going to do something for you, rather than generalities that come under the "same old thing" category. And, as you know if you read the article, we found a great and effective cream that does a knockout job of actually reducing wrinkles.
3 Easy Dieting Success Tips
1. Drink 8-10 glasses of water each dayOkay, for many people this is a big problem.
I Can, I Cant
One common question I receive is, "What do you do for maintenance?" It always takes me by surprise because the concept is alien to me. Maintenance? Granted, when I started this lifestyle, I would have loved to have some "vacation" waiting for me at the end, and I was certainly thinking about how I would "relax things" when I achieved my peak physique.
How I Easily Lost 21 lbs. in Just Weeks- Without Getting Hungry!
I was shocked. I started to cry.
Have You Given Up on Weight Loss?
Have You Given Up on Weight Loss? by Greg Landry, M.S I receive several email messages every day from people who have given up on weight loss.
Move, Move, Move for Greater Weight Loss
The loss of fat comes from fat cells all over the body, not from one or more specific area's so spot reduction of a certain area is not possible. The main priority of this article is to show you the quickest and safest way to lose fat from the body.
Weight Loss - Attitude Counts
Weight loss specialists will tell you that attitude has a more powerful effect on losing weight than all other factors. The best plan out there won't cut it, if you don't follow it, and that can be a matter of attitude and motivation.
How to Lose Weight: Food for Thought
When it comes to weight loss, most of us would like to engage in what psychologists call "magical thinking." We'd like to believe that some easy trick or ritual would allow us to shed pounds while eating anything we liked.
Do You Make These South Beach Diet Mistakes?
The South Beach Diet works, for most people. Its low fat, low carb approach helps you lose weight quickly and easily.
Ultimate Weight loss: Ephedra is it Good or Bad?
I have had some e-mails come in and everyone is asking "is ephedra is safe or not?".Well I wont reply to that question.
Obesity - How it Affects Your Health
1. Carrying around excess body fat will decrease your energy level.
Protecting Your Spine and Lower Back While You Lose Weight
When most people begin a Weight Loss program or diet plan so that they can tone up and/or lose weight, the often forget about THE most important aspect of any exercise and diet program: Safety.Although there are numerous ways in which exercising safely is beneficial to you, one of the most important and the least observed is concerning the spine and lower back.
How Slimming Down Can Add More Cash in Your Wallets
Are you unhappy with your current weight but aren't "motivated" enough to do something about it?Well then..
Weight Loss Diets with Negative Calorie Foods
Negative calorie foods are said to use more calories to digest than the calorie content of the foods themselves, resulting in a negative calorie balance. It is therefore natural to consider a diet containing these foods for weight loss.
Glucagon and Aging - Breakfast How Not To Start The Day Part III
A question from one of our readers:Dr. Mericle,With respect to burning "fat" energy in the mornings before eating, what if you are not a long distance runner? The average person is not, particularly someone who is overweight.
Oxygen Therapy For Weight Loss?
The chemistry sounds very straightforward. Human body fat is a combination of three elements - hydrogen, carbon and oxygen molecules (plus other substances that are stored within the fat cells).
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.