|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
How To Cop An Attitude With An Overzealous Hostess
We all encounter those hosts and hostesses who feel it is their duty to make us eat whatever their specialty is and generate a sense of guilt if we do not flatter their creation by stuffing ourselves with it, regardless of our weight control plans and weight loss goals. Here are some nice ways to decline her offering.
For example's sake, we will use her justly famous (but horrendously caloric) cheesecake.
10 Nice Ways to Decline:
1. Thanks, but I came to enjoy your company, not your cheesecake.
2. I'll trade everything on that plate for a cup of your incomparable coffee.
3. Before I eat anything, I'd love to see your new vacation pictures.
4. This time I'm really losing weight so I can't break down, even though I know how delicious your cheesecake always is.
5. Thanks, but no thanks.
6. Thanks, but I'm on a mission - to thin-dom.
7. It looks too good to eat . . . I'd hate to spoil it.
8. I'm on a very strict diet that unfortunately bans your terrific cheesecake.
9. I already filled up on your wonderful dinner, perhaps next time.
10. Wow, that looks gorgeous but it just isn't something I'm allowed right now.
When these don't work (and they won't), bring on the big guns - the declinations that ensure your hostess will not continue to press you further but may actually retreat to the other side of the room to bug someone else.
The Big 15 (That Really Work):
1. Sorry, but I'm allergic to cheesecake . . . my eyes swell shut.
2. Thanks, but cheesecake always gives me flatulence.
3. Thanks, but I'm already so full I'm having trouble keeping everything down . . . where's your bathroom?
4. Thanks, but I see my personal trainer first thing in the morning and if I've slipped, he's a sadist!
5. I spent the day at the dentist's office so I couldn't touch anything.
6. My aunt almost died of food poisoning from eating cheesecake - I just can't face it anymore.
7. Sorry, but I hate cheesecake.
8. My grandmother was eating cheesecake when she died. I've never touched it since.
9. I'd love to, but cheesecake always gives me immediate hives.
10. Sorry, but I'm a cheesecake alcoholic. One bite and I'll eat the whole thing.
11. Sorry, I don't do cheesecake - and you shouldn't either, honey.
12. I'm fasting this week and it's time for my enema.
13. I'd love some, but cheesecake always makes me throw up.
14. Cheesecake always makes my crowns fall out.
15. If I eat that, I'll be forced to lead all your guests in 50 sit ups immediately afterwards.
Caution: you may not be invited back again for a while (but you're on your way to successful weight control).
Virginia Bola is a licensed psychologist and an admitted diet fanatic. She specializes in therapeutic reframing and the effects of attitudes and motivation on individual goals. The author of The Wolf at the Door: An Unemployment Survival Manual, and a free ezine, The Worker's Edge, she recently completed a psychologically-based weight control book: Diet with an Attitude: A Weight Loss Workbook. She can be reached at http://www.DietWithAnAttitude.com
Let's Talk About Fad Diets
Although the big push for fad diets has died down a little bit, it is still estimated that at least two-thirds of Americans are on some type of diet at any given time. Although research shows the importance of eating from all the major food groups, people are still confused about what type of diet to follow, keeping the window open for more quacky solutions to pop up.
Binge Eating: Will This Cycle Ever Stop?
Here's a letter from my email:Dear Carol,I took your teleclass two years ago (I think). I reflect so often on everything the class covered that it seems like it was much more recently that I took the course.
The Dirty Little Diet Secret
Have you ever wondered how actors stay in such great shape? You know they couldn't starve themselves all the time, because you can see their weight fluctuate from movie to movie, depending on the role they're playing. The fact is Hollywood's slim and slender are hiding a dark secret from you, their adoring fan.
Can Writing Actually Improve Your Health?
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, writing about stressful life events helped reduce symptoms of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis in patients with these chronic illnesses. The effects of the writing exercise were still evident four months later and resulted in clinically meaningful improvements in patient symptoms.
How Many Calories Are Too Many
In today's bustling world we are constantly surrounded by media hype about "Weight Loss" and "Calorie Controlled Diets". As a Nutritional Therapist, I am often asked "How many calories are too many?" The simple answer to this question is that we are all individuals, and we all require a different amount of calories per day.
Can Quick Weight Loss Really Work?
Quick weight loss is promised by diets all the time. "Lose 10 pounds over night," the ads will scream.
Losing Weight: The Simple Science of Losing Weight
Are you committed to losing weight and keeping it off? Then, it is time to discover the science of losing weight. Losing weight is the result of a chemical reaction that takes place in the body where stored fat is used for energy.
Mind, Body Weight Loss for life equals behavior change - The Acceptance Factor
Getting to the ROOT of the matter: If the plants in your garden are not healthy looking, just trimming them back will not take care of the problem. What do the roots look like? I am no psychologist, but there is a very interesting twist you need to understand before you begin any weight loss or fitness program.
How Many Calories Can I Have And Still Lose Weight?
How to Estimate How Many Calories You Can Have and Still Lose WeightTo figure out how many calories you should have, first start with where you are. In other words, figure out how many calories it takes to maintain your present size and then reduce from there.
Catching Yourself In A Binge or Compulsive Eating: Stopping Behaviors
Oh, no . .
Lose Weight And Get Healthy; Can Laughter Be A Cure For Obesity?
Once there were these two Nuns and they..
Eating Sensibly, Working Out and Still Not Achieving Your Goals?
Are you working hard in the gym 3 times a week, eating sensibly but still struggling to lose that weight or change your body shape?Have you previously lost weight by starting to exercise and watching what you eat, only to continue gaining fat despite sticking to your programme?If this sounds familiar, there are a couple of things you should take a closer look at?1.The components of your exercise programme2.
Bat-Wings: The Dreaded Hanging Arm Skin After WLS
Gastric-bypass surgery is only the first step many morbidly obese patients take in their total body make overs. One residue of massive weight loss is the dreaded "bat-wings".
Diet Pills And Supplements
Losing weight is a struggle that many of us face every day. In the search for the best diet program, the subject of diet pills and supplements can be the foremost thought on our minds.
South Beach Diets and Fast Food Franchises
Franchised Business Models and American Diets could be at odds. Yes there is significant issues with this in franchising.
Fat Burning Secrets For Cardio Workouts
Lets face it, most of us live pretty busy lives and the amount of time spent exercising does eat up what little free time a lot of us have. I don't like to waste my free time anymore than anyone else so if I am going to use it up on an activity, I feel the rewards of the activity should out way the cost.
Hydrate to Lose Weight: Drinking Water & Its Relationship to Weight Loss
It all begins with water ..
Low Carb Diets - Are They For You?
The revolution is here. Weight Loss as we know it has changed forever because of one diet.
Diet or Lifestyle?
"I am going to start a diet tomorrow". How many times have we said or heard these words? What do these words mean to you? For most of us it means a period of time in which we will subject ourselves to torture in order to lose a few pounds.
Weight Loss/Control Glossary of Terms
A Little Help With Some Difficult terms------------------------------------------ Aerobic Exercise. Any activity involving large muscles, done for an extended period of time.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.