|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Snack Ideas for Kids That Wont Wreck Moms Diet
If you are a mom at home on a diet, you will probably related to a frequent situation I encounter as a weight loss consultant. Many of my clients with children are able to keep to a healthy eating plan through most circumstances except two. It all starts to go astray when the kids come home from school, or when they are preparing school lunches.
It's no surprise really. Kids love snacks we buy from the supermarket, and parents love them because they are quick and easy to throw into the lunchbox or for kids to grab from the shelves in the pantry. Small bags of chips, tasty bite size crackers, sodas and the like. No problem. Except when it comes to mom's weight loss program. Mom loves them too!
These products are high in fat, high in energy and high in refined sugars. And after one, two or three nibbles it is possible to wrack up an unwanted 500 calories. This single act will probably stall your weight loss or even worse!
To stop your kids from sabotaging your weight loss efforts, here are 20 snack ideas for kids that will do far less damage to your weight loss program if mom nibbles (just a little).
1. Chop up ½ tinned pear or other fruit in natural juice and set in 200mls of low calorie jelly. Make up into individual disposable plastic containers with lids.
2. Cut up crisp vegetable sticks with dipping sauce - ranch, peanut (satay), sweet chili or tomato.
3. Cut celery sticks 6-8 cm, fill with cottage cheese and top with sultanas or chopped nuts.
4. Combine a mixture of low fat hard cheese cubes, nuts and dried fruits in plastic wrap or a lunch bag.
5. Roll up thin slices of carrot and celery with grated cheese in a slice of cold meat. Secure with toothpick. Slice the carrot and celery with a vegetable peeler for really thin slices.
6. Cut oranges into quarters and freeze on trays. Put into plastic bags for a fruity ice block.
7. Meatball surprise. Next time you are making meatloaf, double the quantity and make a batch of meatballs. These are great in lunchboxes cold. Add a slice of pineapple with a toothpick to each meatball. Add dipping tomato sauce if required.
8. Mini quiches?.make a batch of crust-less quiche and cook in muffin tray. Each 'muffin' will be a wonderful healthy snack for kids.
9. Chilled fruit surprise - slice a combination of strawberries, bananas, kiwi fruit, watermelon, grapes or in season fruit. Place in small resealable plastic container. Top with apple juice; do not overfill. Seal, freeze. When packed in lunchbox, will keep sandwiches cool and prove a refreshing treat on a hot day.
10. Rice cakes spread with mashed avocado, mashed banana and cinnamon, or try mashed avocado, sliced tomato and sprouts.
11. Chopped hard-boiled egg served with low fat mayo, salt, pepper on a crisp bread.
12. Leaf wrappers: wrap a cheese finger, celery stick and carrot stick in a lettuce leaf. Wrap in foil and place in lunchbox. Contents will be kept moist.
13. Yoghurt tub.
14. Baby Bell Cheese and low fat cracker.
15. Creamy dates: slice dates lengthways, remove stone. Fill with Philadelphia cream cheese (low fat).
16. Quick sausage rolls: wrap a skinned (good quality) sausage in several sheets of filo pastry. Brush pastry with beat egg to glaze. Cut into desired lengths. Bake in moderately hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Rolls can be frozen.
17. Same as above but use fresh chicken breast strips and cut to 2" - use tomato or favorite dipping sauce
18. After school hot snack attack: Spread a round of pita bread with tomato paste and herbs. Top with tomato, ham, mortadella, add onion, sliced mushrooms or pineapple. Sprinkle grated low fat hard cheese over pita bread. Grill to make a tasty pizza. If no pita bread is available, substitute a crisp bread.
19. Fruity kebabs: place bite size pieces of fruit in season on kebab skewers.
20. Pop top sandwich tuna tin, crisp bread, sachet of mayonnaise. Kids can put their snack together at school so that it doesn't go soggy.
Remember fresh is best both for yourself and your children. By substituting these ideas for some of the prepackaged snack food and cookies your kids eat you will be doing both them and yourself a favor.
(c) Copyright Kim Beardsmore
You are free to publish this article in its entirety, without changes as long as the Copyright and Author's Bio, remain in place and the URLs and links remain intact and working.
About The Author
Kim is a successful weight loss coach who will cut through the diet-hype and help you reach your goal weight. No public 'weigh-ins', meetings that cost you money or fads...simply results you will love! You can receive a free consultation. Visit today: http://tinyurl.com/6l2cd. Are you interested in earning money from home? We can help you grow a profitable home business: http://tinyurl.com/69eoy.
hCGTreatments / Diet Doc hCG Diets & Weight Loss Plans Announce the Best ... - SBWire (press release)
Conventional Dieting Wisdom That Works for WLS Patients
In many cases conventional dieting wisdom simply doesn't work for gastric bypass weight loss surgery patients. Surgery changes the rules.
Changing Our Eating Behaviour
Changing our eating behaviour is one of the critical lifestyle changes necessary if we are going to successfully lose weight and keep it off.For many people, changing eating habits is one of the hardest things they'll ever do, as anybody who has gone on a diet and tried to stick to it can attest.
Weight Loss the Easy Way!
With weight loss comes a lot of dedication and change of lifestyle. We can start with exercise, which is vital to all weight loss programs.
Stop Trusting the Scale--Its Probably Wrong Anyway
Have you ever stepped on the scale after a week of "being really good" only to be rewarded with an eye popping four pound gain? Don't despair! Your scale isn't trying to ruin your efforts and it doesn't hate you. True health is measured in many ways, only one of which is your outward appearance, and what you weigh is the least reliable measure of all.
Motivation and Dieting - Whats the Missing Link?
If you are like everyone else who has hit rock bottom with their weight struggles, and have declared that this day will be the first day of your diet, then this article is for you.Too often it seems that most dieters jump on the weight loss boat, yet fail to bring along a months pass.
Why Should I Lose Weight?
According to the BMI chart, if you are overweight, you may be more at risk of developing disease. That should be reason enough to lose weight.
Fighting Obesity - My Pyramid Dietary Guidelines
If you are fighting the battle of the bulge (overweight and obesity) unsuccessfully, here is good help at hand. You no longer have to depend on unsubstantiated claims and vested commercial weight loss sites for your fight against obesity.
Rating The Diets: A Mindless Exercise?
There has been a recent surge in the experts weighing in (pun intended) on popular and celebrity diets to rate them in terms of effectiveness, nutritional adequacy, and balance. Look at the latest crop of magazines, Internet news reports, and television specials.
Solution to Obesity
First of all we need to find out a reason for this growing mountain of fat that is killing us.We know now that the traditional explanation - that of overeating - is wrong.
Foods That Help Burn Fat
Foods that are high in fiber and protein are the best kinds of food to consume if you want to burn fat around your waistline and tone your abs.Below you'll find a handful of foods that will help you reach your weight loss goal.
Get Back Weight Loss Motivation with NLP: Setting an Anchor
NLP Setting an Anchor Process to Get Back Motivation for Losing WeightA client recently wrote saying, "When I was losing the weight I felt so good about my exercise and weight loss I actually considered going into the health field. I want to get that [feeling] back!"It can be easier than you think to "get that feeling back.
Weight-loss Tip: Add Extra Calcium to a Low-Fat Diet
Got milk? New research suggests you should if you want to lose weight. The weight loss study shows that calcium, three or four daily servings of low-fat dairy products, can help adjust your body's fat-burning machinery.
Volumetrics Adverse Events - Two Potential Outcomes
Adverse Events with VolumetricsDr. Barbara Rolls is a well respected nutritionist in the United States.
Bodybuilding Weightloss Exercise Tips and Strategies
Welcome to bodybuilding weightloss exercise tips!This is the engine room of your assault on fat?making a few easy changes to your routine is going to make all the difference to your bodyfat levels in less time than you might think.In the past you may have tried to lose weight? This time is going to be different.
Starbucks and Kicking Bad Habits
Many of enjoy sitting down at Starbucks and enjoying a cup of coffee, many of us drink the frappachinos. Starbucks in fact is celebrating the 20-year anniversary of the Brownie Frappachino, which was interesting.
7 Strategies To Stop Eating Junk Food!
FACT: Obesity accounts for 300,000 deaths a year in the U.S.
Diet Information - Dieting and Weight Loss Myths That Will Keep You From Losing Weight
You've heard them before and may even have believed some of them, but there are some dieting myths that are sure to hinder your weight loss efforts. Keep in mind the following facts when embarking on your weight loss journey: Some hard-core dieters will swear that drastically cutting calories will produce fast weight loss.
Overcoming Secretive Eating
Finally - you are alone. No one else is around.
Magnetic Weight Loss -- Does It Work?
Magnetic weight loss is the newest fad diet supplement to hit the net. What is it and how does it work.
Weight Loss and Disease - It's Not the Food that's Killing Us!
Whether coming from a close friend, the nightly news or from a letter in the mail, it's hard to face the truth at times. Hearing it can really cut to the core of our beings.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.