|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Summer Dieting Tips
Cut the Calories, Bring Out the Bikini
Summer's almost here and you want to get into the swim of things, but the B word - bikini - has been blindsided once again by that C word - calories.
What can you do to get in shape at the last minute?
Adam Shafran, co-author of the new book "You Can't Lose Weight Alone The Partner Power Weight Loss Program," says it's never too late to start losing weight. Aside from diet and exercise, Shafran says it is important to have a partner or buddy who can be there for you through your thick and thin days and nights.
"Find someone - a friend, a partner, a husband, who you can be accountable to," he says. "Someone you can walk with, someone who won't let you down, someone who will be there to exercise with you and get you to exercise and someone who will weigh in with you every week."
Successful weight loss, he says, doesn't mean that you have to deprive yourself; it simply means that you have to watch yourself.
Shafran, a Georgia chiropractor who along with co-author Lee Kantor owns a personal fitness center, offers these non-fattening bite-size bits of advice for fitting into that itsy-bitsy bikini:
* Instead of drinking calories, eat them. Cut out sugar-based drinks like soda and juices and substitute water or dilute them with a shot of seltzer. Sodas have 200 to 400 calories, and Shafran says that if you can reduce your weekly calories by 3,500, you can lose a pound of fat. If you add exercise, it will be easy to meet the 3,500 goal because even if you only walk for 30 minutes a day, you burn about 300 calories or 2,100 per week. Add to that the 1,400 to 2,800 you'll save by drinking water, and you're on your way to slimness.
* Replace calorically dense foods with ones that aren't dense. Those breakfast bars may taste great and they may only be 200 calories, but you're hungry again almost before you eat the last bite. Salads, fruits and soups are better choices because they fill you up. And make your salad a meal, not a snack. Add hearts of palm, walnuts, chickpeas, olives, tuna, corn, peas and even shredded cheese to the lettuce and tomatoes so it's tasty and healthy. Juices are OK, but they won't give you the fiber to make you feel filled. "They won't help you cut calories," he says.
* Go light on salad dressings, which are calorically dense. Make your own with olive oil or canola oil. Measure them; don't pour them on.
* Take more time to eat, and you will feel filled. "Hunger goes away over time," Shafran says. "If you feel hungry, you may only be dehydrated. Wait five or 10 minutes and the hunger will go away."
* Eat several small meals spaced throughout the day instead of one big meal at night. "If you are hungry and don't eat, you will become ravenous and start eating everything in sight," Shafran says. "When you're at work, set a timer or an alarm on your watch that will beep every three to four hours to remind you to eat a snack. And make it fruit or nuts."
* It's easier to exercise at a gym than it is to work out at home. Gyms offer visual distractions - you can watch TV, you can watch people. "There's energy in gyms, there's music, there are things to take your mind off the boredom of exercising," Shafran says.
Joey Dweck is the founder of http://www.WeightLossBuddy.com, committed to helping you find a 24/7 buddy who will not only help you lose weight but who also will get you to change to a healthy lifestyle. You choose your own diet and your own exercise regime, and we find you a buddy who literally will stick with you through thick and thin. Signing up for a buddy is free. Simply go to http://www.WeightLossBuddy.com/article/ezi4.htm
Nevada County loses 1206 pounds in South Yuba Club Weight Loss Challenge - The Union of Grass Valley
What Makes Your Blood Cholesterol High or Low
Your blood cholesterol level is affected not only by what you eat but also by how quickly your body makes LDL-cholesterol and disposes of it. In fact, your body makes all the cholesterol it needs, and it is not necessary to take in any additional cholesterol from the foods you eat.
How to Find Your Ideal Body Weight Part II
Body Mass Index (BMI)Body Mass Index is an accurate indicator of surplus body fat than kilos or pounds. It is a mathematical ratio of height to weight that can be linked with body composition (or body fat percentage) and with indices of health risk.
Help to Reduce Belly Fat
Can You Lose Weight Where You Want?If you have excess weight only in specific parts of your body, you still must look at yourself as a whole. It's not possible to spot reduce; in other words, you can't dictate that you only want weight to come off one place or another.
Are Your Co-Workers Making You Fat? Avoiding Unexpected Treats
Taming the See Food Eat Food ResponseWhat happens when you're just minding your business and suddenly someone walks by with a delicious looking cake, muffins, or some other goodie you weren't expecting. You weren't hungry a minute ago but now you are suddenly ravenous.
Low Salt Diet Tips for Kids and Adults
Our bodies only require a small amount of salt for proper nutrition. But the fact is that we all, including our children, consume way more salt -or rather, the sodium - than we should.
Weight Loss for Good: The Cold Hard Truth!
Twenty years of health club consulting, 50,000 hours of paid personal training, and trainer to the stars has taught me one thing; weight loss is not about numbers, it's about your approach. Here it is in a nut shell!#1: Determine HOW you are motivated and WHERE your desires come from.
Low-carb Diets: Fad, Fallacy, or Fact?
The most common and popular diet fad over the past two years has undoubtedly been the low-carb diet. It has many followers, both in the U.
Maintaining Your Weight Loss Momentum Away On Vacation
Going away for your holidays will also bring with it a good supply of temptation on the food front, unless you are on a survival course, climbing a mountain or camping in the wilderness on limited rations. The chances are you will be at a hotel, and if you have chosen a good hotel, it is likely there will be good food, often as much as you want.
Stop Putting Life Off Until You Lose Some Weight
No One I Know Looks Like a Bathing Beauty, so Why Should You?If you don't enjoy the life you've got because you think you don't look good in shorts or you can't bring yourself to wear a bathing suit, you're just wasting your life for nothing. Maybe you don't look like a bathing beauty but who does? I've heard so many people tell me that they would give anything to be at a weight they once were, but when questioned they almost always say, "Now that I think about it, I thought I was fat back then too," but guess what? They weren't.
Low-Carb Diets - An Introduction
According to a recent survey by the National Health Institute, about a third of overweight Americans who are trying to lose weight, are doing so by eating less carbohydrates (carbs) largely because of the increased popularity of fad diets like Atkins Diet and the South Beach Diet.Who Invented Low-Carb Diets?The term "low-carb" was coined around 1992 when the USDA recommended that Americans include six to eleven servings daily of grains and starches in their diet.
Magnetic Weight Loss -- Does It Work?
Magnetic weight loss is the newest fad diet supplement to hit the net. What is it and how does it work.
The Crazy Amazing Diet Maker
This past Christmas Season, as most of us stuffed our faces full of turkey and pies, a well respected weight loss expert from WebMD made some crazy remarks about ending obesity. Needless to say, the response to his rhetoric, despite the Christmas Season, was naughty not nice.
Breaking Research: Whats a Dieter To Do?
Every day, it seems, a new study pertaining to weight loss or nutrition is released to the public. These studies tout the latest and greatest trends, products or discoveries and then a willing public jumps on the bandwagon expecting mighty results.
Your Weight Loss Problem: How To Cure It By Watching Movies Or Reading Books!
I don't know anything about you but if you're anything like me then you struggle with a weight loss problem. Your weight loss problem consists of you struggling to keep your weight down or struggling to make your weight go down.
Go for Scientific Weight Loss
Considering the US Center for Disease Control's advice is a very good idea. Fat, although systematically proven useful to the human body, is not only a waste of food.
Is Emotional Eating Causing You to Blow Your Healthy Weight Loss Plan?
You've done everything right this time. You're eating lots of salad, fruit, and protein; using only low fat dressings and even staying away from white flour and refined sugar.
Five Really Tough Dieting Tips
If you are losing, trying to lose, or think you need to lose, weight, you are probably as sick as I am of those "easy" and "quick" diet tips that NEVER work!The following tips are neither quick nor easy. They are tough, uncomfortable, and demanding (but they work).
Confessions From A Fat Doctor
I never intended to get fat! I am not exactly sure how it happened, but there I was a 6'2" thirty-four year old pushing close to 270 pounds. My cholesterol was high, my triclecrides were high, and my blood pressure was high.
Lose Fats - Gain Confidence when You Lose Weight
"How do I lose 5 kg or 30 kg?""How do I gain some muscles and tone up sexily?"It is simple. Yes, you heard it right, it is simple.
How To Maintain Your Weight Loss Motivation
One of the hardest aspects of getting yourself into shape, is maintaining the motivation you need to achieve your weight loss goals. Just about anyone will lose some of their enthusiasm, a month or so into a weight loss program.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.