|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Atkins Diet - Simple Advice
Just like any other diet, the Atkins diet can become boring and for some very dangerous. Before you get into the plan make sure you get a physical and talk to your doctor. We already know that the diet works but how do you work the diet? There is plenty of advice and information available online and in the library.
The Atkins Diet is an attempt to trick your body into burning stored fat rather than the carbohydrates you consume for energy. In the process you might have some physical reactions that are important to know about. The good news is that there are things you can do to combat some of the side effects.
Some people experience dizziness or cramps or other physical effects from the changes you are making in your diet. There are things you can do to prevent or alleviate these things. Be aware that you could experience dizziness, leg cramps, or brain fog. Remember that the mineral potassium is washed out of your system fairly quickly. Do not eat a banana instead take 90 milligrams of a potassium supplement. It should start working to relieve your symptoms in about an hour.
Below are some suggestions that will help keep you healthy while on the Atkins Diet Plan. These are suggestions to help you combat the symptoms while your body adjusts to the changes.
* Eat enough calories. For most people eight to ten calories for every pound of current weight. Too few calories will cause your body to go into starvation mode and weight loss will either slowdown or stop completely.
* Drink enough water. You must drink at least 68 ounces of water a day. Some believe that you should drink half of your weight in water daily. Water helps lipolysis and in getting rid of keytones.
* Weigh and measure yourself once a week only while on the Atkins plan. You should see a decrease in inches and even if you don't, you will see it in weight.
* Eat the amount of carbs that make you feel your best.
* Eat only natural, unprocessed, nutrient dense carbohydrates. Stay away from sugar.
* Exercise regularly. If you are told you can lose weight without exercise, run don't walk in the opposite direction. Physical exercise helps your body to use the food you consume appropriately. Too little exercise can do as much damage as too much exercise. Your doctor can help you determine what your activity level should be. Start off really slow and build up so that you will gain more benefit from your food plan and exercise.
* Continue to take nutrient supplements according to your needs and under a doctor's supervision.
* Keep a weight loss and food journal. If a significant event happens like the death of someone close, the loss of a job, or too many bills you might want to note that. These events could affect how you eat. Actually anything significant that happens should be noted because good stuff can also affect you. In this journal you should also note exactly what you eat at each meal, and if you are a diabetic you will be able to understand how certain foods affect your blood sugar levels negatively or positively. Obviously you will be noting your daily testing results. By doing this you will be able to recognize patterns. When are your levels the highest or the lowest? Be sure to share these things with your physician, as he or she will be able to help you determine what to do.
* Read the labels on everything. Look for any hidden sugars like syrups and look for anything that ends in "...ose", such as lactose, fructose, sucrose, maltose and dextrose.
* Lose weight faster. In order to accomplish this try reducing your caffeine intake.
* Set realistic goals. A healthy weight loss typically is not much more than one to three pounds a week. Any more than that could be unsafe. Losing weight too quickly can trick your body into thinking that it is starving and rather than losing weight your body will stop losing weight and try to hang on to what it can to survive. Aside from all of that, note that any large initial weight loss will likely return if you return to normal eating habits.
If a diet seems too good to be true, It probably is. The best kind of diet is one that encourages balanced meals, moderate activity, and supplements as needed. Before taking any kind of supplement make sure that it is appropriate for you. Although they may be all natural, they are not necessarily safe. They can still negatively interact with any medications and you could still develop allergic reactions to it. Bear in mind that nothing should be take with out your doctor's input.
Reprint Rights feel free to publish this article on your website but you must agree to leave all active links contained within 'About The Author' intact and "as is" and NOT hidden behind a java or redirect script.
About the Author
Dallas Cowboys DE Jeremy Mincey credits weight loss of 25 to 30 pounds this ... - Dallas Morning News (blog)
Winter Weight Loss
As our bodies move from Winter into Spring we can begin to really feel the need to "shed the winter weight". Whether we actually have weight to lose or not, this is an excellent time of year to give attention to our body's need to feel lighter.
Today's Diets - What's Hot!
For the person who wants to shed a few pounds (or even a lot of pounds), there are many choices of diet programs. To pick the best one for your tastes and lifestyle, you need to look at the attributes of each diet plan.
Gastric Bypass Patients Resent Normal Eaters
In the early weeks after having weight loss surgery almost all patients report resenting normal eaters. Some go as far to say the normal eaters flaunt their food consumption to make the WLS patient, who is eating meals the size of a chicken egg, feel inferior.
Close Kept Secrets to Weight Loss
Discover secrets to overcome food addictions by releasing negative thoughts and reframing with powerful affirmations, and manifest all that is yours by Divine right.My name is Tami Close and my intention is to empower women to realize they are responsible for their own health and well-being.
Yesterday, out of the blue, without any foreboding gossip or rumor, the company I work for was taken over by a competitor. All afternoon we sat stunned and unnaturally quiet, trying to absorb what had happened and what it might mean to our future.
Weight Loss Problems? - Why The Gastric Bypass Surgery Does Not Stick!
Gastric bypass surgeries are temporary physical fixes to a long term head problem!If you think the surgery is a cure all, think again. The crazy thing is people are gaining weight on purpose so they can be qualified to even be considered for the surgery.
10 Tips for Dining Out
There is no doubt about it; Americans are eating in restaurants more often than ever before. In 1970 Americans spent just 26% of their food dollars on restaurant meals.
Diet and Weightloss -- Start Your New Year Off Right!
FINDING THE PERFECT DIETArriving at the Perfect Diet is no quick, simple task in today's world of fast-paced living. For example, there are several different educational food pyramid plans.
It's the travel time, meaning hours spent sedentary. It prepares me for the visiting, when I know there'll be no activity.
New Weight Loss Program -- How to Make Your Diet Work
This is a continuation of the article entitled, "Making Diets Work." In the original article, I introduced the concept of Diet ShockTM and its role in weight regain.
Lose Weight - Think You Cant?
You step on the scale and groan at the number peeking between your toes. "Oh, No!""I'll start a diet today!" you think.
Ive Been Dieting for Five Minutes - Am I Thin Yet?
When Instant Results Take TimeYesterday I decided to "get back in shape," and today I'm already checking in the mirror to see if there's a difference. Sound familiar? Everything else is instantly obtainable from microwave dinners to pay-on-demand TV, so why should weight loss take so long?Before microwave ovens people had to decide in the morning what to make for dinner because it took all day to thaw the meat.
Overweight - Control Your Eating Habits
Weighing more than is normal, necessary, or allowed, especially having more body weight than is considered normal or healthy for one's age or build is risky for your health.How do you control these urges that drag you in an intoxicatedshape away from your diet plan and down into the swirling vortexof pleasure? I researched on the topic to give you expert adviceon how to enjoy that art called eating without turning in into afeeding frenzy.
Healthy Diet Answers: Want Fries With That Mister ?
Yes, my healthy diet has at times suffered at the hands of fast food, I admit it - I am addicted to fast food - it makes me feel good, it makes us all feel good, that's why its everywhere and thats why the fast food chains make millions. But let's face it, it's not that simple to be disciplined and no one's going to go to a restaurant with friends and tell the restaurant that they can't eat that rice because its white rice and it'll send my blood sugar levels sky high and release insulin into my body, can I have basmati instead ? - well, maybe just the hardcore diet enthusiasts.
Lost Weight with Gastric Bypass? Hints for Great After Pictures
I clearly remember how much I loathed having my picture taken when I was morbidly obese. Actually, I didn't mind having the picture taken, it was seeing the picture of the sad fat lady that bothered me.
Is Low-Carb Weight Loss Really Just Water Loss?
Any weight loss or diet plan, including low-carb plans like the induction phase of the Atkins Diet will result in water loss during the first week or two.However, one of the real beauties of following a low carbohydrate eating plan is that most of the weight loss than extends beyond the initial induction phase of the diet is really from a drop in fat pounds.
Dropping Weight Too Fast After Gastric Bypass: What If I lose Too Much?
Weight loss is so consistent and rapid after gastric bypass surgery many patients begin to fear they may become emaciated. They ask, "Will my body know when it's time to stop losing weight?" Patients fresh out of weight loss surgery usually find this question absurd - Impossible! Lifelong dieters don't become emaciated.
Weight Loss Setbacks and the All or Nothing Attitude
I want to talk about the "all or nothing" outlook that is death to any attempt to lose fat and get in shape.You're probably familiar with this concept.
Five Really Tough Dieting Tips
If you are losing, trying to lose, or think you need to lose, weight, you are probably as sick as I am of those "easy" and "quick" diet tips that NEVER work!The following tips are neither quick nor easy. They are tough, uncomfortable, and demanding (but they work).
Take Control of Your Metabolism:Quick Tips for Increased Muscle Tone, Faster Fat Burning, and Energy
So many people are talking about how slow their metabolism is and why they need to start taking the latest diet supplement scam yet they don't even understand how the human metabolism works. So before I even go into how to speed yours up, I want to first go over some of the basics.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.