|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Diet Pills: Tremendous Temptation, Huge Frauds
More than 50 percent of Americans and Canadians are overweight or obese. More than a half the advertising campaigns for diet pills and dietary supplements are intentionally false or fail to reveal the truth, according to the FTC. This enormous proportion reveals the dimensions of this money-generating industry. Consumers in North America spend more than $35 billion each year on weight-loss products.
The FDA investigated 300 weight-loss ads from the radio, television, the Internet, magazines, newspapers, e-mail and direct mail. The FDA report concluded that some ads promised significant results without surgery, diet or exercise. Other companies claimed that taking their product would be enough for a quick weight loss. There was no need to eat less or diet. Just take pills.
The main frauds:
1. Manufacturers promise that their pills will deliver spectacular results, without any effort or exercise. Diet pills are presented as miracles. Just a few mention the FDA-approved diet pill.
2. They fail to admit completely and honestly the risks and side effects.
Many scams have been revealed so far. Here are a few examples:
* Bentley-Myers and three weight-loss products Zymax, MillinesES (both containing ephedra), and Serotril (containing St. John's wort) were brought under an intense spotlight when the FTC filed a federal court complaint. The FTC alleged that these diet pills caused rapid and substantial weight loss without diet or exercise and with no side effects. An additional charge referred to another dietary supplement, CartazyneDS, containing glucosamine. This was promoted as having the ingredients to cure arthritis and rebuild cartilage in just a few days.
* CortiSlim Lawsuit July 2004 Some CortiSlim TV commercials claimed that the human body is able to manage and normalize weight through Cortisol, the stress hormone. Charging the producer and distributor, public health officials argued that this supplement has no substantiated scientific support.
* Metabolife supplement and brain damages A jury in Houston awarded $7.4 million to a woman who suffered brain damage in a stroke, as a consequence of taking the Metabolife supplement to lose weight. She had been persuaded by commercials that this supplement was safe and had no side effects.
* Mendacious campaigns for the Ephedra-based supplement Trimspa An American hypnotist, Alex Szynalski, and a former Playboy Bunny (Anna Nicole Smith) joined in a Trimspa commercial which was considered "deceptive advertising" by the New Jersey Attorney General. The hypnotist was accused of luring consumers to his Goen Lose Weight Hypnosis seminars and then tempting them to buy the Trimspa supplements he produced.
* Kava Kava stop sales. Health Canada launched a public warning that this herb, found in supplements and sometimes in food is under suspicion. Its consumption was linked to liver disfunction and toxicity. FDA warned that the Kava extract is delivered under many other names which are difficult to find on the label (kava, kava kava, kava-kava, kava root, kava-kava root, kavain, kava pepper, kavapipar, kawa, kawa kawa, kawa pepper, kawapfeffer, maori kava, rhizoma di kava-kava, ava, ava pepper, ava root, awa, gea, gi, intoxicating pepper, intoxicating long pepper, kao, Piper methysticum, Macropiper Latifolium, Piper inebrians, Malohu, maluk, meruk, milik, kew, Rauschpfeffer, sakau, tonga, Wurzelstock, yagona, yangona, yaqona, yongona).
* The invisible Zoller laboratories. Intrigued by the name of diet pills suggested to be taken by Britney Spears, somebody tried to identify the producer of Zantrex 3. Zoller laboratories, apparently producing Zantrex 3, were not listed in any database. They were just a firm created by Basic Research, the company distributing Zantrex 3, for fear that its real name would sound too scientific to the public. The confusion induced by this phantom company nevertheless affected the credibility of the company.
About The Author
Dana Scripca writes for http://www.dietpillscentral.com where you can find more information about Diet Pills.
Man in New Zealand needs weight-loss surgery so badly, he's going on hunger ... - New York Daily News
Weight Loss Drug: Diabetic Medication Saxendra (Liraglutide) Effective Against ... - Headlines & Global News
Slim Hips and Thighs: Tips to Lose Weight from Hips and Thighs!
Losing weight on hips and thighs has always been a dream. And yes, dreams come true! It is usually difficult to lose weight from thighs and hips as compared to abdomen.
New Weight Loss Plan -- Resistance Training
My last article, Make Diets Work, concluded that dieting the old way (eating fewer calories) doesn't work. Diet shock, slower metabolism, and eventually, weight regain are inevitable consequences of dieting to lose weight.
Mediterranean Diet - Wonderful & Lousy Reasons for Losing Weight
Lousy Reasons to Lose Weight"I want to be a size 0.""You can never be too thin.
Low Carb Diets - Are They For You?
The revolution is here. Weight Loss as we know it has changed forever because of one diet.
Lose Weight Quickly And Easily - Weight Loss Information
For people that are obese, losing weight quickly can seem like a dream that will never come true. The fact is that if you want to lose weight quickly you must dramatically reduce the amount of fat and calories you consume.
Hypnotize the Pounds Away: Weight Loss Motivation Through Hypnosis
Many individuals these days, male or female, young or old, are struggling with weight management. Concerns with rising cases obesity are no longer based upon a Hollywood conception of what is the appropriate body size.
Lose Weight with One Simple Mindset
Diabetes is one of the fastest growing diseases today. One of the things dealing with diabetes is maintaining consistent sugar levels in the blood stream.
Health Care Costs - Can Your Diet Control Them?
One of the most talked about topics in any political and social circle is the rising costs of health care. Some say the health insurance companies are to blame, while others point the finger at medical malpractice lawsuits.
Are Fiber Supplements Fat Burning Food?
If you're taking a fiber supplement or eating a high fiber diet, you may inadvertently be consuming fat burning food.Everyone knows that fiber is something you need in your diet to be healthy, and that primarily it relieves constipation by increasing the bulk in stool to allow easier bowel movements.
Weight Loss For Beginners
Getting into a weight loss program or any type of dieting is intimidating for a beginner. Better health is something that we should all work towards, and be bold about.
Hoodia - Its Basic Nature Part 3
Hoodia Gordonii a cactus plant found thousands of miles away in the Cape Town of South Africa, has become incredibly beneficial for people all over the world. Centuries ago, the simple tribal folk of South Africa cultivated the plant so that they could chew it and satiate hunger and thirst for three to four days.
Health Secrets of Cayenne
For many years, herbalists believe that Cayenne is the most useful herb on the entire planet. It's especially significant in the health aid of the entire digestive and circulatory system.
Dieting? More is Not Better
Exercising too hardThis is probably the most common mistake. As Americans we think if some is good more is better.
Healthy Recipes for Low Carb Success
Using healthy low carb recipes are an important part of your diet success, just as it's important to remember to drink enough water helping your body to remove the byproducts of the fat burning process. A healthy recipe provides you with the other essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals that you need to feel as good as you look.
3 Day Diet -- Make Believe Diet Plans
The 3 day diet mixes certain types of foods that supposedly react in a specific way to increase your metabolic rate. Apparently, you'll burn fat at a higher rate than usual, but be careful and don't abuse the power of the diet's reaction.
Diet Preparaton -- The Impact of Sleep and Stress
When you have started a diet in the past, how much sincere and attentive focus did you give to preparing for your diet? Isn't it true that usually you are getting the food together a particular diet requires, buying yet another tread mill (or hauling out the old one covered in dust from the last diet), getting another gym membership, planning that last big blowout gluttonous meal you're going to eat because you are going to have to starve for the next eight weeks. The above really isn't an exaggeration.
Find the Right New Year's Resolution to Get into Your Best Shape Ever!
Yep, it is that time of year again! Time to moan and groan about the weight we gained over the holidays as we resolve to lose it all in the New Year! If memories of failed New Year's resolutions are haunting you, it is time you found the right resolution for 2005.The reason that most New Year's Resolutions fail is that they are too extreme or time consuming.
High Protein Diets Can Have a "Bad" Impact on Your Career
With all the excitement regarding high protein diets, one area that is often not talked about is a diet rich in protein can be a major contributor to bad breath. Actually, there are several causes of bad breath, many of which most people have given little, if any, thought to.
Court Overturns Ban
In December 2003, the FDA incorporated an ephedra ban making it illegal to sell any products containing ephedra. The ephedra ban was put in place after investigation of several allegations that ephedra caused serious health problems, including death.
Are Weight Loss Supplements Worth It?
What do you think of the hundreds of weight loss supplements out there on the shelves today? Are they worth the money? Will they actually help you lose weight? How do you know which ones are going to work for you? Is there any proof that these products work?I've taken some time and researched some of the most popular product to try to find the answers for you. The truth is, most products won't help you lose anything but money.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.