Weight Loss Surgery: Benefits and Risks
You may be considering weight loss surgery if you are overweight or obese. For many people, surgical weight reduction is one of the only viable ways to lose a significant amount of weight and enjoy better health. However, it's important to realize that this is a very serious undertaking. You should definitely spend time researching the topic and, if possible, talking with people who have already had a weight reduction procedure performed. Understanding the benefits and risks involved with weight loss surgery is absolutely vital to making an informed decision. To help you get started, here is a brief guide...
* Fast Weight Loss: Obviously this is the biggest benefit of weight loss surgery. Immediately following the surgery most people begin to lose weight quickly. This rapid weight loss usually continues for at least a year and a half, leading to a very significant reduction in body weight. It's important to note however that many people begin to regain weight within 2 years, especially if they have not made any healthy lifestyle/diet changes!
* Improvement of Obesity-Related Health Conditions: For many people, the improvement in their overall health, following weight loss surgery, is just as important as the weight loss itself. And for good reason: people who have suffered from debilitating obesity-related conditions (such as diabetes) for years often experience tremendous improvements within a short period of time.
Risk and Side-Effects:
* Death: A small percentage of weight loss surgery patients die during the operation or from complications in the days and weeks following the surgery.
* Post-surgery complications: Some patients must have follow-up procedures to correct complications, which can include infections and hernias.
* Nutritional deficiencies: Some types of weight loss surgeries reduce the body's ability to absorb important vitamins and minerals. Many patients must take diet supplements on a daily basis or risk developing anemia, osteoporosis, metabolic bone disease, etc.
* Gallstones: More than a third of gastric surgery patients develop gallstones due to the rapid weight loss that occurs in the months following a weight reduction procedure.
* Side-effects: Some of the most common side-effects experienced by weight loss surgery patients include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, excessive sweating, increased gas, and dizziness.
As you can see, weight loss surgery carries some huge benefits along with some very significant risks. If you are severely obese, it is definitely an option for reducing your body weight and improving - or even eliminating - many of your obesity-related health conditions. Just understand the risk and be prepared to make some relatively extensive lifestyle changes after the procedure. If you are not severely obese you should definitely consider diet and exercise options before you think about weight loss surgery.
Jay Romano is a writer for LesserTummy.com. Get more useful and up-to-date information about weight loss surgery at http://www.lessertummy.com
Small Changes to Weight Loss
As much as many of us who are over-weight do not like to admit, it is our past and current eating habits that have us looking the way we do today. We need to make many small changes to our eating and drinking habits to reach our healthy weight.
Want To Lose Fat? Eat More of This
If you've been working out with weights for any length of time, you know the importance of supplying your body with frequent feedings of quality protein so that your body will be able to have the necessary building blocks to build muscle in the shortest amount of time possible.How much protein should you be consuming each day? Well, that debate has been raging for many years.
Weight Loss and Exercising Staying Power - Three Magic Words!
My name is Greg Ryan. I am a best selling author of online e-books, high profile fitness expert, former employee of the Kathy Smith, champion bodybuilder and CEO.
Ultimate Weight loss: Ephedra is it Good or Bad?
I have had some e-mails come in and everyone is asking "is ephedra is safe or not?".Well I wont reply to that question.
Weight Loss and Water: The Unknown Secret
Weight Loss and Water: A Way to Make Your Body Shed Pounds Fast and Keep Them Off!Almost everyone reading this -- even the skinniest -- think they should lose weight. And Americans are almost obsessed with weight loss.
Weight Loss Product Warnings -- How to Spot Fat Burning Diets
This is the second article in the series, Weight Loss Product Warnings. How to Spot Fat Burning Diets teaches you how to analyze a diet's fat burning potential.
The Real Challenge Of Weight Loss
Weight loss is never easy. Although this is stating the obvious, it is nevertheless very true.
Fibre And Weight Loss: How Closely Are They Connected?
The incidences of deseases like obesity, diabetes, colon deseases etc.are minimal in countries where the population has a regular dose of fiber in their diet.
Does A Quick Weight Loss Diet Really Work?
Only if you're trying to fool the scale on a specific date and time.Quick weight loss is advertised by diet marketers all the time.
The Fastest Way To Your After Photo
You've seen them a hundred times: "Before" and "After" pictures. Are you ready to be the one in the photos? Don't wait until you lose more weight.
3 Guilt Free Fat Burning Food After Dinner Snacks
Want an after dinner snack? Jealously watching your family consume full-fat ice-cream, biscuits and cakes as you're reading this, and feeling left out? Then try these delicious alternatives, designed not to limit your calorie intake, but to be satisfying, providing nutrient-rich and low energy dense food.Fat Burning Snack Idea No.
Dieting - Healthy Dieting Tips
If you are among the millions of people searching for a weight loss program that will produce quick results, here are a few tips and suggestions you may want to consider. There are many weight loss programs that promise rapid weight loss.
How To Get Slim With Healthy Eating Habits
Many women want to be slim. Maybe you're one of them.
Make sure that no more than a quarter of your calories come from fat.Cook your own meals at home and avoid eating at restaurants as much as possible.
Weight Loss During Holidays: What to Do With Leftovers?
If I Want to Lose Weight, What Can I Do With Leftovers?Okay, tell me if you've ever done this: It's Monday late afternoon. You decided yesterday that starting today you were going to 1) eat right, and 2) start to get regular exercise, and 3) give up all your bad habits.
Diet Information - Dieting and Weight Loss Myths That Will Keep You From Losing Weight
You've heard them before and may even have believed some of them, but there are some dieting myths that are sure to hinder your weight loss efforts. Keep in mind the following facts when embarking on your weight loss journey: Some hard-core dieters will swear that drastically cutting calories will produce fast weight loss.
Finally, Natural Weight Loss Availalble, Judge Lifts Ban on Ephedra
April 14, 2005 federal judge Tena Campbell of the federal district court in Salt Lake City Utah reversed the ban on ephedra.Ephedra is an herb used over 5000 years ago to treat several disorders, such as asthma and bronchitis.
Calorie Burn? Know The Optimum Walking Speed For Greatest Results
Calorie burn can be really enhanced if you follow a very simple but effective way to judge if your walking speed is optimum, yet safe.Your best walking speed can be recognized by certain sure "symptoms of exertion" during your walk -- namely, from your breathing pattern and your ability to talk through the exercise.
4 Surefire Ways NOT To Lose Weight At Your Health Club
Everyone has their own individual reason for joining a health club, lose a few pounds, tone up, lower your blood pressure, strengthen a bad back or shoulder, perform better in sports, or just keep in shape by playing some basketball or racquetball.By joining the gym you have shown a time, and a financial commitment to achieving your goals, congratulations!However, joining the gym is only the first step.
Weight Loss Problems? Are You on the Path of Delusion, Depression, and Destruction?
Are you weighted down with delusion, depression and on the verge of destruction because of your weight?Am I missing something here? If I am someone please email me and tell me. But, the shape of you and America tells me I am not missing the boat at all.