|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Gene's Diet Plan
Hot dang! If a few hundred other folks can peddle a plan to help people lose weight, there's no reason I can't jump on the bandwagon too! So, here's my plan. All you need to do is send me a certified check for $495.94 and I'll let you in on my "Secrets to Successful Weight Control". How's that sound?
You want a personalized plan? I can do that. You want charts and graphs? I can do that. You want weekly e-mail encouragement and special diet tips? I can do that.
Shall I wait in breathless anticipation for the deluge of checks that are sure to start arriving in the next week or so? No? I am soooo disappointed!
While I'm waiting though, I might as well pass along a few of my personal thoughts on the subject of weight control. Let's reinforce the "personal thoughts" part of the last sentence. I'm not a physician or a dietitian so I'm not in a position to recommend diddly-squat. These are just opinions?
1. Genetics and your early environment both have a lot of influence on whether you'll have a tendency to put on the pounds. If either of your parents (and maybe grandparents) were (are) fluffy, you may have a life-long weight battle on your hands. This is the result of the ability of your body to absorb nutrients, inherited metabolic rates and lots of other stuff including basic eating/snacking habits.
2. A tendency to continually graze (snack, munch) may be a just a habit (personal programming) or it may be due to mental/emotional influences such as stress, boredom, anger, uncertainty, fear, lack of confidence, or just don't give a fat rat's ass any more. Identify your trigger(s) and with professional help if necessary, work to solve the foundation problem. (If you automatically associate watching TV with popcorn, chips, cookies, soda, beer, etc. - it's probably a habit/addiction thing.)
3. To maintain a given weight, you need to "burn" energy (calories) at the same rate you're taking them in. To lose weight, you'll need to burn more calories than are sneaking into your bod. The bottom line - eat less and exercise more.
4. Toss out the scales and get weighed once a year during your physical. Translate this to mean that first you need to involve a physician if you're severely overweight. Second, focus on how you want to look, not how much you want to weigh. Muscular (or even well-toned) folks can pack a lot of weight into a small frame and look great. Besides, watching the scales show minimal loss or even slight gains from time to time can puncture your incentive to keep doing what you're doing. If your clothes are getting baggy, you're losing weight.
5. Eat a balanced diet - bunches of salads and veggies along with a reasonable amount of the rest of the staples. (Emphasis on "reasonable"!) Yep, that includes meats, potatoes, pastas, fruits, whole grained breads - and chocolate. (Chocolate's one of the basic food groups, you know.) Too much of any one type of food probably isn't real good for you over the long haul. Watch the drippy, fatty - and slippery, sweet stuff. Limit consumption of anything that oozes down your arm.
6. Eat breakfast. If possible, make lunch your biggest meal and cut back on dinner. Healthy snacks between the main meals will help remind your body that you're not really starving it between the other meals.
7. Drink enough liquids. Nah, not so much that you unbalance your system and have to take whiz breaks every 30 minutes. Pay attention to your body. If you're getting thirsty - drink something!
8. A multi-purpose vitamin supplement may not be absolutely necessary, but it won't hurt.
9. Deserts and treats are OK as long as you've planned for them. Remember the calories in - calories burned thing. (Why would anyone force themselves to eat only the 100 percent healthy stuff and pass up the goodies? If that isn't an incentive to go off a diet, I don't know what is?)
10. Don't forget the exercise. It doesn't need to be complicated nor expensive. Walks, jogging and swimming are all good. Twenty to thirty minute workouts a couple times a week can help too. Burn those calories!
11. An occasional "splurge" on a high calorie meal once in a while won't hurt a thing. Sometimes the body just needs (are you buying this?) a big, juicy hamburger and fries!
12. Pay attention to your body's needs. Our bodies are smart. If you find yourself hungry for certain foods, go for it. Constant cravings are probably more of a habit thing. You'll need to be careful here.
13. Don't overdo it! Just because Hollywood and most advertisers are promoting the slim, sleek, curvy look, that doesn't mean it has any relation to reality. Be you, be healthy and be comfortable.
OK - that's it. Probably not nearly complicated enough to ask for the $495.94 though, huh? Dang, I need to work on that. Meanwhile, my body NEEDS a piece of apple pie?.
About The Author
Gene, through NuPathz.com, provides an easy reading self-help blog along with affordable books and materials written to help folks find the road to a more enjoyable lifestyle, to pass on some of life's "secrets for survival" in a chaotic world & offer a few smiles along the way. It's a down-to-earth, simple approach to discovering a better life. You can visit Gene at http://www.nupathz.com/
Weight Loss With Water
It's calorie-free, inexpensive and easily obtained - yet few people follow the old fashioned advice to drink eight glasses of water a day.Most people drink when they are thirsty, but usually not enough and certainly not when trying to lose weight.
Cellulite: The Biggest Female Epidemic
Cellulite is probably one of the most embarrassing of all physical faults that women have.Cellulite isn't just a problem with the obese or overweight either.
Changing Your Eating Habits
We are bombarded with advertisements pushing delicious looking, fat filled, and obesity producing food in our faces every single day. We hear it on the radio; see it on TV and on billboards and even in newspapers.
Of Super Mice and Supermen- and the Magic Apples of Avalon
Recently, a Japanese study showed dramatic results of organ fat loss and increased muscle strength, in test rats fed rare phytochemicals from baby green apple skins.Without additional vitamins or supplements, these rats lost 27% of their internal organ fat -- "belly fat" in you and me-- and increased in muscle strength by 16%, in just three weeks.
9 Quick Ways To Conquer Cellulite
In our never ending search for the illusive "Fountain of Youth," nothing strikes a chord like the term "cellulite." Interestingly, the term "cellulite" was first introduced to us by a fashion magazine.
Body Composition And Weight Loss: They Are Related!
The world today has more obese and overweight people than any other time in history. The reasons are simple too much bad foods and not enough exercise and weight training.
How to Lose Weight While Gardening
Have you ever dreaded the idea of pulling weeds, planting a tree, or pushing a lawn mower around the yard?Does just thinking about it make you sweat? I am sure the majority of are nodding your heads in agreement. What I am about to suggest only takes a slight change in your thinking and a bit of planning and you can learn how to lose weight and get in better shape while gardening this year.
Phentermine Side Effects
When you're taking Phentermine, you should go to the emergency room if you experience any of the side effects listed below:I) Allergic Reaction:a. difficulty breathingb.
How To Look Thinner
There is no need to worry too much if your weight loss programme is going along slowly. That is often the case.
Weight Loss: Its Not Always What You Eat, But What You Dont Eat
On a little island half way in between Guam and thePhilippines there is a rampant epidemic affecting the inhabitants. This tiny island of approximately 8,200 people is not afflicted with famine or a deadlydisease as you might think when talking about anepidemic.
Resistance Training First; Fat Burning Second for Weight Loss
Most men and women that I have trained over the years that were interested in weight loss, before meeting me their routine always included the bike or treadmill for 15-20 minutes or so, then proceeding on to the weights for some resistance training. Approximately one out of ten did both, and most either did one or the other.
No Fuss Weight-Loss
To lose weight and keep it off you need an easy to follow no fuss plan. You need a plan that is simple and sensible.
Government Against Diets
The Government of the Australian state of Victoria has started a campaign aimed at warning people of the dangers of fad diets. The campaign is believed to be the first of its kind in the world.
Weight Loss Woes
Weight loss is an issue that affects men and women alike. Children, particularly young girls, are also starting to think about weight loss at younger and younger ages.
Are Your Nutrition Habits Robbing You from the Body You Desire?
What if by making a few small changes in your nutrition and eating habits you could add up to a 50% gain in muscle mass and loose up to 18% extra fat.Well you could be robbing yourself of these gains just by not eating correctly and at the right times.
Diet & Weight Loss Tips: How To Stop Eating Junk Food By Finding Your Craving Hour
Even if you're not overweight, you still could have a junk food craving; especially if you're cooped up in an office building, working 9-5 and not exactly having the best day.If you're like almost anyone else, you've probably had your share of cravings for some kind of excitement or satisfaction in the form of junk food.
Obesity and Fat Control Myths
- Are your ideas of obesity and fat control based on a myth? -For years we heard that a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet would keep us healthy and help us lose weight. And many of us jumped on the bandwagon.
Alternatives When Considering Liposuction
One alternative method to traditional and tumescent liposuction is mesotherapy. Mesotherapy involves a series of injections of varying ingredients.
Saboteurs to Your Weight Loss Plans
Saboteurs are people and thoughts that are going to sabotage you when you are at all weak in your bid to better yourself. I can identify many internal and external forces that will try to stop me from what I want on an almost daily basis.
How to Lose Weight in a Healthy Way with Hypnosis
More and more people are turning to hypnosis or hypnotherapy for help with weight loss. Most people who seek the help of a hypnotherapist will have already tried numerous diets or slimming programs with little in the way of lasting results.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.