By Rene Umanzor
The president of the World Boxing Council, Jose Sulaiman, says WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather has not notified his organization of a unification bout with IBF welterweight king Devon Alexander for May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Mayweather announced that he was close to a deal on Tuesday night. The IBF has already refused to sanction the fight, although they never received a request for such an action. Sulaiman believes Mayweather will still fight Robert Guerrero, the WBC's mandatory challenger at welterweight.
"I definitely think the fight has to be against Robert Guerrero. I have been made to understand that they are in negotiations and I hope they fight. For me, I'm not paying any attention (Mayweather vs Alexander), because I have not heard anything about it", said Sulaiman.
"I do not think Mayweather has announced that fight because he has always been loyal to the World Boxing Council, and all of his championships have been under the WBC and I am sure that before communicating something, we would have contacted us and he did not, so I have confidence that it is false [about fighting Alexander]. We are awaiting the outcome of negotiations [with Guerrero], that is all I can say so far."
Rene Umanzor covers boxing in Mexico for The Record.