Advertisement
Advertisement

WBC: Canelo-Cintron Still A Go Pending New Evidence

By Jake Donovan

They came, they heard, they kept things as-is.

The World Boxing Council followed up on its promise to attend the Wednesday press conference formally announcing Saul “Canelo” Alvarez’ super welterweight title defense versus Kermit Cintron, which takes place November 26 in Mexico.

While their purpose wasn’t simply to pine for the fight, it was all that really came out of the afternoon. A brief investigation of the reported incident alleging Alvarez’ involvement in a vicious street fight with junior flyweight titlist Ulises “Archie” Solis left the WBC no further along than when the day began, other than obtaining Alvarez’ side of the story.

Once again, the red-headed Mexican star proclaimed his innocence in the matter and his willingness to cooperate with the police in any efforts to help clear his name of any wrongdoing.

Solis insists that it was in fact Alvarez (38-0-1, 28KO) who approached him on Tuesday in a dispute over a woman, leading to a fight that resulted in the diminutive titlist suffering a broken jaw among other injuries that have forced him to cancel plans for a December return to the ring.

Long-reigning WBC President Jose Sulaiman attended Wednesday’s press conference to get Alvarez’ side of the story to compare to the claim filed by Solis. Earlier in the day, his son Mauricio Sulaiman informed Boxingscene.com that it would follow its own rules to the letter in the event that a court of law finds Alvarez guilty of any wrongdoing in this matter.

Don Jose stands by that statement, but for the moment stands behind the fighter that currently represents his organization as their super welterweight titlist.

“Canelo told me that he is innocent, and that is all of the information that I presently have,” Suliaman states, noting that his only first-hand knowledge of the incident comes from what he read in news reports. “If someone publicly claims they know more than this, it is merely speculation and in bad faith.”

Regardless of what comes of the case, the WBC is willing to assist in any building medical costs incurred by Solis (34-2-3, 21KO), a two-time junior flyweight titlist recognized by another sanctioning body. Interestingly, Solis has never participated in a bout officially sanctioned by the WBC, though it hasn’t stopped Sulaiman from taking a liking to the 30-year old or his brother, super featherweight titlist Jorge Solis.

“Solis is a man who has always been cordial with me and I wish him the best,” Suliaman said.

If found guilty of any involvement in this incident, Alvarez is at risk of being stripped of his alphabet title, in accordance with rule 1.25 (C) of the WBC Championship policy.

Alvarez won the vacant title after outpointing Matthew Hatton in their 12-round bout this past March. He has made two successful defenses since then, a 12th round stoppage over Ryan Rhodes of England, and a 6th round stoppage of countryman Alfonso Gomez this past September in Los Angeles.

His fight with Cintron will mark his fifth ring appearance in less than 12 months, dating back to his 12-round decision over Lovemore N’Dou last December in Mexico.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter at twitter.com/JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to [email protected]
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by gibo on 10-28-2011

Had Mayweather beat up a 108 fighter. He would be hung on an oak tree! While sal pendejo will get off clean as if nothing ever happen!!!! WBC mesicans are ruled by armaian suliaman and his son. WBC =World Boxing…

Comment by delpilar on 10-27-2011

WBC is so obvious in protecting a thug.

Comment by Evil Abed on 10-27-2011

[QUOTE=Slyboots;11340493]This guy committed assault in broad daylight and is being protected by the WBC. How exactly are people "hating" on him?[/QUOTE] Come on Sly. People are using a altercation in which we don't know exactly what happened to bash a…

Comment by vallejoarmy on 10-27-2011

[QUOTE=Taaj Manzoor;11339937]Alvarez will walk away with a clean slate. He's a protected fighter inside and out of the ring.[/QUOTE] Probably so. Those who have the money or bring the money typically walk away with the clean slate whether it's in…

Comment by Bombs on 10-27-2011

If this fight doesn't happen I will honestly think Canelo pulled a Chavez Jr cop out.. but a better orchestrated one.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (21)
Top Headlines Crolla: Linares Rocked My World, I'm Not Going To Lie Klitschko-Fury 2 - Barclaycard-Arena on Hold For December 10 Jorge Linares Decisions Anthony Crolla, Wins Lightweight Crown Arnfield Shocks Ryder - Wins WBA Regional, Targets British Belt Anthony Crolla vs. Jorge Linares - LIVE BoxingScene Scorecard Callum Johnson Stops Shihepo, Wins Commonwealth Belt Deontay Wilder: Tyson Fury No Longer Cares About Boxing Klitschko Waits on Word From The Sanctioning Bodies on Fury Crolla vs. Linares - LIVE Fight Results Nihito Arakawa Retains Title, Stops Yusuke Tsukada in Six Rounds Malignaggi Will Not Go For The EBU Title, Withdraws From Spot Anthony Joshua Ready To Replace Tyson Fury, Fight Klitschko! Crolla Plans To Be Calculating, Take The Fight To Linares Early Warren: Won't Take Long For Liam Smith To Get in World Title Mix Parker: Dimitrenko's Height Will Prepare Me For Champions Curtis Stevens: Me And Lemieux Should Fight For Shot at Canelo Teddy Atlas: Golovkin Looked HORRIBLE Against Brook Anthony Crolla Pumped: This is My Kostya Tsyzu Moment! Donnie Nietes Ready To Make Impressive Debut at Flyweight Anthony Crolla vs. Jorge Linares - Tale of The Tape Jarrell Miller: I'd Break Joshua's Face in Half, I'd Run Him Over! Canelo-Golovkin: Promoters Agree To Sit Down in Two Weeks Tommy Morrison's Son: I Opened Some Eyes, Roach Improved Me Anthony Crolla-Jorge Linares: Pre-Fight Report Card Carlos Carlson Gets Off The Deck To Win By Knockout Christopher Diaz, Julian Rodriguez Win: Toka Kahn Clary KO'd Canelo-Smith PPV: Golden Boy Pleased With 300K Buys Radivoje Kalajdzic Drops, Stops Travis Peterkin in Five Rounds Ivan Baranchyk Goes The Distance, Decisions Wang Zhimin Tommy Morrison's Son Demolishes Ed Latimore in One Round Ivan Golub Blasts Out James Stevenson in Three Rounds Rico Ramos vs. Prosper Ankrah at Los Angeles Badminton Club Photos: Donnie Nietes, Edgar Sosa on Weight, Ready For War Gilberto Ramirez To Return in 2017, Says Bob Arum Golovkin vs. Jacobs: Barclays Center Placed on Hold For Dec. 10 Ivan Baranchyk Plans To Put on a Show, Entertain on ShoBox Crawford Pushed Back To 2017, Lomachenko Back on Nov. 26 Tyson Fury is Medically Unfit To Fight, Says His Team in Statement Photos: Jhonny Gonzalez, Hirotsugu Yamamoto Ready For Battle Canelo's Promoter Dares Golovkin: Call Our Bluff, Make The Deal!
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement