Warren: I'm Gutted Over Cleverly-Bellew Falling Through

By Kevin Francis, courtesy of The Daily Star

NATHAN CLEVERLEY'S intended opponent Tony Bellew failed to scale the heights on Thursday as he lost his chance of landing a world title.

Tony Bellew had to lose almost a stone before he faced Welshman Nathan Cleverly for the WBO world light heavyweight title at London’s 02 Arena on Saturday.

But he couldn’t beat the scales and the fight was called off on Thursday with promoter Frank Warren quickly finding a new opponent for Cleverly.

He is Polish bruiser Aleksy Kuziemski, who is ranked No.11 with the WBO and was previously targeted when Cleverly’s original opponent, Juergan Braehmer, pulled out.

Warren said: “It has been a real trial for me to sort everything out for this fight night.

“I am disappointed the Cleverly-Bellew fight isn’t going to happen and I am absolutely gutted for the fans who wanted to see it.

“Tony Bellew insisted he could make the weight but now Nathan will face Kuziemski and I hope he does well against him.”

Bellew himself only stepped in yesterday to take over from German Braehmer, who infuriated Warren by pulling out on Wednesday, citing an eye injury as the reason.
That resulted in the WBO stripping him of his title and awarding it by default to Cleverly, who now defends it against Poland’s Kuziemski.

Bellew, 28, admitted he was in a race against time and that he had to lose plenty of weight.

He had been working with his nutritionist Kerry Kayes in a battle against the scales and the clock but said: “Kerry is a magician and I know he can do the business.”

But that proved a boast too far. It did not work out as Bellew repeatedly showed he had not lost any weight in a series of scales tests conducted by the British Boxing Board of Control last night.

Before the fight was called off, a head-to-meeting at the O2 Arena descended into a farce with security man Dominic Negus, who once fought Audley Harrison, having to haul Bellew away from Cleverly.

Tempers blew when Cleverly shouted: “You are dead at the weight. Your legs are gone. I will even give you a free shot.”

Angry Bellew replied: “If you give me a free shot you will leave in an ambulance.”

British super-middleweight champion James DeGale meets Commonwealth belt holder George Groves on the same bill and yesterday it was revealed they planned to have a side bet involving their combined purse.

But the British Boxing Board of Control quickly quashed that idea by saying fighters were not allowed to make wagers on their own fights.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by UglyPug on 05-19-2011

mannn that's some bull****. warren knew damn well he didn't plan on making this fight; he just wanted to go ahead and start the hype so it will be more anticipated. bellew will get his ears boxed off by clev's.…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (1)
Top Headlines Vargas: It's My Time, After I Beat Pacquiao - A Star Will Be Born! Erislandy Lara Still Has a Target on The Back of Gennady Golovkin Photos: Luis Nery, Richie Mepranum Set For War in Tijuana Joselito Velasquez, Mexican Olympian, To Be Trained By Robles Wladimir Klitschko, Lucas Browne Far Apart On Money For 12/10 Photos: Canelo is Officially Belted in Puerto Rico By The WBO Cotto Says Canelo Rematch is a Subject For Discussion Danny Williams Returns, Faces Ali Eren Demirezen in Hamburg Edis Tatli Takes on Manuel Lancia on December 17 Canelo vs. Saunders Showdown Fully Backed By WBO Prez Weights: David Lemieux, Cristian Fabian Rios Ready To Fight Eggington Predicts Damage: I'm Going To Do a Job on Gavin Jeff Horn Ready For IBF Strap: 100%, Bring on Errol Spence! Hooker Plans on Testing Perez's Chin Early on Kovalev vs. Ward Marin, Pintor Make Weight For Boxeo Telemundo Season Finale Photo: Micki Nielsen, Kevin Lerena Ready For Battle Abel Sanchez Very Confident That Andy Ruiz Beats Joseph Parker Frampton: I'll Make it Two-Nil, Santa Cruz Only Fights One Way! Golovkin's Coach: I Doubt Canelo Will Last Eight or Nine Rounds Jeff Horn Crushes Rico Mueller As Title Shot Nears David Haye: Fans Want Me To Smash Tony Bellew, Shut Him Up Joshua Taylor Tabbed To Become World Champion By McGuigan Tim Bradley: I Need To Retire A Winner, Capture One More Title Eric Molina: I'll Fight Anthony Joshua or David Price on Dec. 10 Canelo: It Would Be an Honor To Rematch Miguel Cotto Kevin Lerena Confident of Knocking Micki Nielsen Out Dejan Zlaticanin: I'm Fighting Mikey Garcia on January 28 Custio Clayton Stops Ramses Agaton in Eight Rounds in Montreal WBO Prez To Canelo Critics: Why Did Golovkin Reject Andre Ward! Terence Crawford Seeks Foe For 12/10, Antonio Orozco Next? Chavez Sr. Expects His Son To Return Stronger, Better Than Ever Jessie Magdaleno, Oscar Valdez Discuss Their PPV Fights Golovkin, Sanchez Frown at Golden Boy's Offer To Face Canelo Charlo-Williams, Cuellar-Mares, Promoted By Schaefer, on Dec. 10 Photos: LaRon Mitchell, Scott Alexander Ready For Battle Photos: Valdez, Magdaleno Putting in Work For PPV Fights Golovkin's Promoter Willing To Make Concessions To Get Canelo David Price: If I Land Joshua, I'm Going in There To Do Damage WBO Prez: No Doubt Canelo Knocks Mayweather Out in Rematch! Orlando Salido's Adviser Provides Update on Back Injury

Latest Active Forum Threads