Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Ward: Goossen Has Not Offered Fight Since December

By Luis Sandoval

Andre Ward’s promotional struggles continue as the undefeated Super Middleweight is trying to break free from current promoter Goossen Tutor who he’s been with since his professional debut. Ward has a pending lawsuit against Goossen Tutor that was filed in California Superior court. An arbitration hearing held by the California State Athletic Commission this past Thursday found Ward’s promotional contract with Goossen to be valid until November 8, 2016 but Ward is still pursuing his court case.

Despite the lawsuit, Ward informs that he is still free to make fights and work with his promoter but the problem is he has not received an offer since December of last year. Five months later Ward is on the sidelines and frustrated with his current situation.

“I want to be in the ring more than anybody else wants me in the ring. This is literally how I feed my family. I just turned 30 years old. I’m entering the prime of my career. This isn’t a lawsuit where the judge has put a mandate or stipulation where I can’t fight. That’s not the case. There was a lawsuit filed in Superior Court and then an email that followed that said hey, let’s continue to do this mutually. Let’s work together, it was agreed, so let’s do it. And there’s been a multitude of emails going back and forth, a lot of games being played but the reality of the situation is not one offer [has been made],” Ward would tell BoxingScene and other reporters.

Ward was last seen in the ring in November when he defeated Edwin Rodriguez and has not been able to secure a follow up fight. This inactivity is on the heels of him being out a year due to a shoulder injury which means he’s only fought twice in almost 2 and half years.

Andre was asked if Goossen has tried to at least pursue fights for him since his last bout and while Ward says some names were mentioned, Goossen never delivered a fight.

“[Dan Goossen] pursued some fights, but he hasn’t been able [to deliver]. He tried to dig up Mikkel Kessler in Denmark. We said okay, make us an offer. He came back [and said] the offer is not satisfactory, I can’t offer you this. I’m going to pursue this fight in the states. Got another offer from the network and its way too low. He killed it. [He said] we can’t do this but I’ll continue to look. We waited, we waited, we waited,” said Ward.

“We got another email with 4 names on it: Sakio Bika, Anthony Dirrell, James DeGale and the Russian [who] I can’t even begin to pronounce his name but he’s the guy who is the regular champion for the WBA. And he said if these names are okay, we’ll get a deal done immediately. [We said] make us an offer, we want to fight, we want to get back in there. And as you guys know, those fights aren’t steps forward, they’re steps backwards. But still, make us an offer. Nothing. There hasn’t been one offer since December. That’s the reality of the situation”.

Ward does find solace in the fact that he’s not the first fighter to go through a similar situation as Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins at one point looked to break free from their promoters and were successful. In fact, Hopkins’ lawsuit was also filed against Ward’s current promoter Dan Goossen.

Both Hopkins and Mayweather offered Ward advice and support when they saw him in Las Vegas, NV this past Saturday which Ward said he truly appreciated. Ward is hopeful a deal for a fight can be reached soon as he does not want to sit out the rest of this year especially considering both sides agreed to still work together during the lawsuit.

“Again it’s tough because we have a litigation right now but we’re supposed to be fighting. It’s kind of tough. It’s not like we’re on the sidelines until this lawsuit is [over]. No, we’re supposed to be fighting”.

You can follow Luis Sandoval on Twitter & Instagram @Truewest007.

Tags: Dan Goossen image   Andre Ward image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by MaskedMurderer on 05-07-2014

[QUOTE=LarryXXX;14519019]Why won't he offer the man a fight?? so what he is suing him....hell ya'll said [B][SIZE="5"]Floyd[/SIZE][/B] should have fought [B][SIZE="5"]Manny[/SIZE][/B] even tho he was suing him....[/QUOTE] man never seen someone life revolve around those two so much, serious question…

Comment by paulf on 05-07-2014

[QUOTE=Ringlife;14523098]Goosen and Ward need to get it together and make some money this year. what a waste of prime by Andre Ward.[/QUOTE] Exactly; Goosen is losing money as well because of this. HBO is dying to throw money at the…

Comment by .:: JSFD26 ::. on 05-06-2014

[quote=LarryXXX] Why won't he offer the man a fight?? so what he is suing him....hell ya'll said Floyd should have fought Manny even tho he was suing him.... [/quote] I'm calling you Special Larry from now on. [SIZE="1"][I]Posted from Boxingscene.com…

Comment by Ringlife on 05-06-2014

Goosen and Ward need to get it together and make some money this year. what a waste of prime by Andre Ward.

Comment by radioraheem on 05-06-2014

[QUOTE=Hougigo;14521397]I may be wrong..... but I don't think Manny was Floyd's promoter....making it different from this situation[/QUOTE] It's not all that different. One is a situation where a potential business partner is being sued. Dumb. The other is a situation…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (57)
Top Headlines Wilkins, Karkardi To Appeal BBBofC Bans Over Nick Blackwell Manny Pacquiao: I Would Fight Conor McGregor - Only in Boxing De La Hoya Worried: Chavez Jr. Could Derail Canelo-Golovkin Plan Danny Garcia on Father's Racial Jabs: I've Heard Trump Say Worse! The Return of Zab Judah Ricardo Mayorga Holds Press Conference, Reveals April 1 Return DeGale: Mayweather Came To My Room, I Doubt I'll Work With Him! Cuadras Sides With Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. To Take Down Canelo Canelo-Chavez: Big Promotional Tour on Tap, Big Undercard Plans Photos: David Lemieux, Curtis Stevens - Face To Face in Montreal Chris Eubank Jr: I Can Beat Gennady Golovkin, He's Not The Truth! Photos: Adam Lopez vs. Danny Roman - Official Weigh-in Leo Santa Cruz: I’ll Fight Different Than in First Frampton Bout Froch: I'm Very Confident Callum Smith Beats Anthony Dirrell Juan Jose Velasco Faces Fernando Marin in WBA Regional Clash Oscar Valdez Yearns For Gary Russell Unification Bout Dejan Zlaticanin: I Will Catch Mikey Garcia and Knock Him Out Brooklyn Boxing With a Big 2016, Bigger 2017 is Expected Garcia Feels His Resume Stronger Than Thurman's, Has Proven More Kid Galahad vs. Joseph Agbeko on Eubank-Quinlan PPV Card Dodson Offered Buglioni Title Shot; Would Land On Haye-Bellew Golden Boy Promotions, ESPN Announce Multi-Year TV Deal Callum Smith: If Dirrell is Next in Line For WBC Belt - Let's Do It! Richard Commey, Fredrick Lawson Back in Action on March 11 Michael Conlan on His Relationship With Conor McGregor Trainer: Charlo Should Fight Top 15 Middleweight, Become a Contender Hearn on Brook-Spence: Khan Worth 3 Times More, 3 Times Easier Thurman: Angel Garcia Wants the Limelight; Should Let Son Speak DeGale: Groves Should Drop WBA Shot, Fight Me For The IBF! Liam Smith vs. Liam Williams Showdown in Play For April 8 Callum Smith's Trainer is Not Buying Badou Jack's Weight Issues Haye, Bellew Could Lose Licenses if Further Violence, Says Hearn Dina Thorslund Wants Mikkel Kessler as a Number Boy Lara's Trainer: Canelo is Facing Chavez Jr. at 165, No GGG at 160? Manny Pacquiao is Stumped: I Don't Know Who Jeff Horn is? Gervonta Davis Vows: I Will Be That Next Pay-Per-View Star! Michael Conlan Puts Olympics Behind Him, Has Big Career Goals Marquez Gives Canelo The Clear Edge Over Much Bigger Chavez Jr. Thurman: My Power, Speed Will Rise Above Garcia's 'Swiftness' DeGale-Jack Drew an Average of 454,000 Viewers on Showtime
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement