Vitali Klitschko Talks Povetkin-Holyfield, Wladimir, More
By Ruslan Chikov
WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko is only a few days away from defending his title against mandatory challenger Tomasz Adamek, this coming Saturday in Poland. He took some time to sit down with reporter Alexander Pavlov to discuss several topics, including the new WBA "regular" champion Alexander Povetkin and some of his potential opponents, including Vitali's younger brother Wladimir Klitschko.
"Congratulations to Povetkin for winning the fight against Chagaev," Vitali said. "He's a great opponent, which is suitable for the technique of Wladimir. But before a fight takes place between [Povetkin and Wladimir], I would recommend to Alexander to gain experience."
- Based on recent statements by your manager Bernd Bente, and Sauerland Event [promoter of Povetkin], the fight between Wladimir and Povetkin will not take place - at least not until the end of next year.
- This fight can take place any time. Alexander has twice [been scheduled] to fight against Wladimir, but both times the fight was canceled. The main thing with Alexander is there can't be any excuses this time.
- In what time frame would the fight between Wladimir and Povetkin take place?
- Probably in the spring or summer of 2012. I think Sauerland is in no hurry to conduct the fight, because even before Alexander secured his victory over Chagaev, it was agreed that he would go against Evander Holyfield.
- Your opinion on this fight?
- Holyfield is a boxing legend. But the peak of his career has already passed. This is not the Holyfield who fought with [Mike] Tyson. To Povetkin, this may be a good warm-up fight for experience.
- How much commercial interest would there be for such a fight?
- In America and in Germany - hardly any. In Russia and Ukraine - there could be.
[QUOTE=DigitalBeast;11092892]Think he meant to say Vitali's YOUNGER brother Wladimir... As long as Evander doesn't look too old, and doesn't get hurt, I'd like to see him fight another top guy.[/QUOTE] You're kidding right? Did you see his last fight?Comment by DigitalBeast on 09-06-2011
Think he meant to say Vitali's YOUNGER brother Wladimir... As long as Evander doesn't look too old, and doesn't get hurt, I'd like to see him fight another top guy.Post a Comment/View More User Comments (2)