Advertisement
Advertisement

Victor Ortiz Not Bothered By NSAC Focus On A Clean Fight

By Jake Donovan

Before he could proceed with plans for a showdown with Andre Berto in a rematch to their 2011 Fight of the Year contender, Victor Ortiz was first ordered to appear in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission panel to ensure that he will adhere to their rules.

The meeting held earlier this month was ordered based on past comments by Ortiz, stating in the media that he intentionally butted Floyd Mayweather in their Sept. ’11 pay-per-view headliner, and with the purpose of trying to break his nose. The foul came moments before Ortiz was knocked out at the end of the fourth round, as he was caught off guard after failing to realize that action resumed.

The commission issued concern over the remarks and sought assurance that he no longer plans to carry that mentality into future fights.

While all systems are go for the return go with Berto on February 11 at the MGM Grand, there are concerns in the media over whether the Californian will overthink his actions on fight night for the sake of avoiding warnings or punishment from the referee.

Ortiz put to rest such fears when broached on the subject. In fact, he insists that nothing at all about him will change and plans to approach this fight just like any other.

“That’s what the reporters are there for and everyone in the media – to think about things like that,” Ortiz (29-3-2, 22KO) insisted during a conference call to promote the bout, which airs live on Showtime. “Me on the other hand, I’m only here to think about one (thing) and that’s beating Berto.”

Ortiz’ last win came last April against Berto, twice climbing off of the canvas to score two knockdowns of his own to take a well-deserved unanimous decision. The fight was praised for its sheer brutality and frequent momentum shifts, and in the end recognized as Ortiz’ career-defining win to date.

Never before had Berto (28-1, 22KO) claimed any wrongdoing on Ortiz’ part, save for a brief Twitter “scandal” in which the Haitian-American suggested that his opponent seemed abnormally strong that evening. Random drug testing is in place for both fighters for this fight, not specifically due to Berto’s comments but in continued efforts to ensure that the sport’s top athletes are clean.

With the commission hearing should produce a foul-free fight next month, or at least one that doesn’t boast anything of the intentional variety. Such was never really Berto’s concern, though he does take note of Ortiz’ past incidents.

“It’s just something that handicaps you if you’re a dirty fighter. If you know you’re not, you should be just fine,” states Berto, who rebounded from the lone loss of his career with a fifth-round stoppage win over Jan Zaveck last September. “He’s been disqualified in the past. Even in our fight he was hitting me behind the head, and that situation with Floyd. I just hope he stays clean in our fight.”

Ortiz and his handlers insist there will be nothing to worry about, and also clarify what exactly took place during the meeting earlier this month.

“What the Nevada State Athletic Commission said is not to behave because you’re in there to beat the shit out of each other. What they said was to follow our rules,” explains Rolando Arrellano, Ortiz’ manager. “If you go in there and think it’s going to be a handicap, then guess what it is – a handicap.

“We changed the belief. It’s not a handicap, in fact it’s motivation and an incentive, to go in there and fight cleanly, clearly and convincingly – and from there comes the knockout.”

As far as Ortiz is concerned, it will be just another night in the office and that it’s high time everyone in the industry accepts him for the top fighter that has proven to be in recent years.

“I am me. If you don’t like it, change the channel.”

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter at twitter.com/JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to [email protected]

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by FirePunch on 01-26-2012

I so want to see brandon rios whoop his a s s . Ortiz is super full of himself for a fighter that aint done much .

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (1)
Top Headlines Anthony Joshua-David Price Ruled Out For The Fall By Hearn James Kirkland Arrested Over Child Support Beef Photos: Anthony Crolla, Jorge Linares Go Face To Face Photos: Glowacki, Usyk - Go Face To Face at Open Workouts Jessie Vargas: "On November 5th I Will Shut The Critics Up!" Daniel Jacobs: Brook Just Too Small To Survive Against Golovkin Golovkin Laughs at Froch, Eubank: Those Clowns Won't Fight Me! J'Leon Love Will Face Dashon Johnson on September 16 Marlon Tapales vs. Paul Butler in The Works For The Fall De La Hoya: Canelo-Smith Will Have Up To 60,000 Fans at Venue! Frampton: The UK Has 14 World Champions - Not All Are Legit! Gerard Carroll To Fight Twice In Eight Days De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Won't Take 6 Years, But Not Now Daniel Geale vs. Renold Quinlan, Vacant IBO 168 Belt on 10/14 Tom Brown Reflects on The Lost Art of Building a Fighter Amir Khan Plans To Fight in January, May and December Caleb Plant Dominates De Angel in PBC on FS1 Main Event Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Hirotsugu Yamamoto Card Coming Together Canelo-Smith on Pace To Outdo Pacquiao, Says Golden Boy VP Video: Abel Sanchez on Brook, Andre Ward, 160 Landscape Video: Loeffler Talks Brook-Golovkin, Jacobs, Carl Froch, More Video: Gennady Golovkin Talks Kell Brook, Unification, More Video: Roman Gonzalez Talks Cuadras Clash, Training Camp LaRon Mitchell Expects Tough Fight With Mario Heredia Luis Ortiz Brushes Off Golden Boy Split, Vows To Batter Ustinov Video: Gennady Golovkin Putting in Work For Kell Brook Fight Gervonta Davis, Floyd Mayweather at Odds, Sosa Bout in Doubt? Errol Spence Over The Moon With MONSTER Rating of 6 Million Liam Smith Warns: I'm Coming in There To Knock Canelo Out! Orlando Salido vs. Takashi Miura Showdown in The Works Eddie Ramirez-Kevin Watts Top FS1 on PBC, September 13 Luis Ortiz, Golden Boy Promotions Officially Part Ways Lemieux vs. Stevens Still Being Worked on, Says Golden Boy VP Jessie Vargas Reflects on The Kell Brook Fight Falling Out Saunders Trashes Eubank Jr. and His Father: Stop Talking Sh*t! Kell Brook: I'm Not Done With 147, I'd Fight Errol Spence! Del Valle Vows To Take The Fight To De La Hoya on Canelo-Smith Luke Campbell vs. Derry Mathews Set For October 15 Margarito Still Aiming For Canelo, Major Opponent in The Fall Kovalev's Coach: Ward's Lack of Power Will Be Biggest Drawback
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement