By Phil D. Jay
Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22KOs) has told WBN that the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California is the likely destination for his return bout with Andre Berto (28-1, 22KOs) in the summer.
The 25-year-old, who out-pointed Berto in a thriller last April, has been given a date of June 23rd for the re-scheduled bout which was originally due to take place on February 11th before Berto suffered a ruptured bicep in training.
“I have been informed by my management that it will be Staples on June 23, 2012 - but if Berto is not available then I must move on. I cannot put my career on hold any longer for him. I wish him well and a speedy recovery,” Ortiz told World Boxing News.
Asked whether the four-month delay in the bout had been frustrating for him, Ortiz replied; “The only effect it will have is the effect you want it to have. I have a positive attitude so I look at this delay as a time for me to work on other sporting endeavours and to let my body heal from the intense work outs of boxing.
“This time off does me good. I do other sports in my off time like the LA Marathon and I will be doing an IronMan in August. I love to surf and want to do a Spartan race so these things keep me occupied.”
Berto, 28, was given an outlook of 8-12 weeks recovery time for the injury suffered in January and should be fit enough to begin training again in April, which gives him plenty of time to make the new June 23rd date.
Phil D. Jay covers boxing for worldboxingnews.net