By Mitch Abramson
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is in the news again and this time it’s not for his boxing prowess. The gossip site TMZ is reporting that boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. allegedly organized the beat-down of some subordinates who stole jewelry from his home. But the Las Vegas Metro Police Department currently is not investigating the incident and have downgraded the severity of the news to simply a “rumor,” a police spokesman said on Friday.
Mayweather, the top boxer in the sport, is alleged to have “orchestrated” an assault on two employees “several weeks ago” he believed to have stolen the jewelry from his Las Vegas home, according to TMZ. But Laura Meltzer, a public information officer for the Las Vegas police, said that so far no victim has come forward to file a criminal report and therefore the police are sitting on their hands when it comes to these allegations until someone does.
“So I’ve been trying to put this rumor to rest all week,” she said in a phone interview. “We’ve had a variety of reports that have come out stating this event occurred. We have not had a victim come forward and make a report like what is being alleged. So if this event occurred, it’s something where the victim has not come forward to the police to make an official complaint.”
As a result, the police, led by the violent crimes unit, have not launched an investigation into the incident.
“As of right now, the bureau commander over there is not aware of any complaint that has been officially filed,” she said. “So again, if this is a victim who is choosing not to come forward and make a report- then that’s up to the victim to do. We don’t have any say in that. There is no criminal complaint on file so there is no reason to go and contact Mr. Mayweather.”
And only after a victim comes forward and files a report can the Las Vegas police start investigating, she said.
There’s also been no contact from an attorney representing any of the victims, despite a reference to a lawyer for the injured parties in the TMZ report. An attorney or a third party cannot bring forward a criminal complaint, anyway, Meltzer said.
The alleged beating took place at an “off-site location” with Mayweather present, along with his “people” and that a variety of weapons, such as “clubs” were used, according to TMZ.
“Our sources say the attack was so brutal the men could have easily died,” the report went on. “Both men had broken arms and legs and were hospitalized for several days.”
Another source told TMZ “it was some ‘Breaking Bad s-t.’”
On Friday, TMZ posted alleged copies of the actual X-rays of the injuries suffered, such as a “broken arm,” a “snapped pinkie” and “evidence of extreme torture.”
According to TMZ, X-rays of one of the victims reveal an array of injuries, such as “broken right pinkie, severe swelling of the right hand, broken left ulna, cracked right ulna, multiple fractures in left hand that required pins to reset the bones. We’re told the left arm was so badly broken, doctors drilled into the bone to attach a titanium plate so it would reset.” The victims maintain their innocence in the whole matter, TMZ says.
“We’re told the men are adamant they never took anything from Floyd and it appears Floyd realizes that now,” the initial TMZ report said. “But here’s the problem for the champ- sources familiar with the situation say the attack amounts to attempted murder, mayhem and kidnapping. We’re told the men have retained a lawyer.”
The 37-year-old Mayweather (45-0, 26 knockouts) is scheduled to face welterweight slugger Marcos Maidana (35-3, 31 knockouts) on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV in what promises to be one of the biggest fights of the year.
Mayweather also has three fights remaining on his lucrative three-fight deal with Showtime and any involvement from the authorities likely won’t interfere with his May 3 date with Maidana but the long-term consequences of the reports are unknown at this point. Mayweather has been in trouble before, serving 90 days in a detention facility in 2012 on a domestic abuse charge.
An attempt to reach Mayweather was not successful while Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer declined to comment, when he was reached, saying that Mayweather’s representatives were dealing with the matter.
Mitch Abramson covers boxing for the New York Daily News and BoxingScene.com.