By Francisco Salazar
Two fighters from across the Atlantic Ocean are fighting in Southern California on February 6th in hopes of big things in 2014, local promoter Steven Bash told Boxingscene.com on Monday.Tags: Chris Van Heerden , John Quigley
Welterweight contender Chris Van Heerden of South Africa will fight in a scheduled eight round bout in Hollywood, CA.
Also on the card is unbeaten John Quigley of Liverpool, England in a scheduled six round bout.
No opponents have been announced yet for Van Heerden or Quigley.
The card will likely take place at the Florentine Gardens, along the famed Hollywood Boulevard.
Van Heerden (19-1-1, 10 KOs), from Meyerton, South Africa, has not fought since March 2nd, when he won a unanimous decision over Matthew Hatton in Johannesburg. After settling promotional issues at the end of last year, the 26-year-old decided to travel to Southern California to train full-time. He resides in Santa Monica and trains at the Rock Gym in Carson with Manuel Robles.
He has won his last five fights in a row and is banking on 2014 to be a big year for him.
"My fight in February will be a tune-up fight," Van Heerden told Boxingscene.com over the phone on Sunday. "It's going to be an eight-round fight. We're working to see if we can secure a big fight for 2014."
Quigley (10-0, 2 KOs), from Liverpool, England, won a one-sided four round unanimous decision over Dominic Coca at the Florentine Gardens in Hollywood on November 14th.
The southpaw fighter is managed by Sheer Sports.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for Boxingscene.com since September of 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. He also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper, Knockout Nation, and RingTV. He could be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or on twitter at FSalazarBoxing