Filipino ring idol Manny Pacquiao has been hospitalized and forced to cancel his scheduled trip to the US yesterday to be at special ringside for the WBC lightweight title challenge of Randy Suico against champion Juan Diaz at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Sunday, Manila Time.
Pacquiao’s close friend and confidant Rex "Wakee" Salud informed Viva Sports/Manila Standard Today that Pacquiao had been vomiting and was taken to the Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital in San Juan and was "under observation."
However, in a futile effort to cover up the fact that he was hospitalized, the admission section of the hospital claimed "there was no Manny Pacquiao here."
Some months ago Pacquiao also collapsed from fatigue and was hospitalized for a couple of days at the same hospital. According to Salud, Pacquiao has a problem of stomach ulcers while Pacquiao’s lawyer Franklin "Jing" Gacal said he had a problem with hyperacidity and "ate something which caused the vomiting."
Gacal disclosed that Pacquiao was being attended to by Dr. Regina Bagsic and that he had been informed that Pacquiao was suffering from "acid reflux." It is described on the internet as "a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach regurgitates (backs up or refluxes) into the esophagus. The liquid can inflame and damage the lining of the esophagus."
Earlier yesterday Pacquiao, who flew in from his hometown of General Santos City, was at the giant Philippine network ABS-CBN where he met with top officials including vice president for sports Peter Musngi.
There have been reports that ABS-CBN which bankrolled the Mano-A-Mano showdown between Pacquiao and Oscar Larios to the tune of $4 million is likely to get the Philippine TV rights for Pacquiao-Morales III on November 18 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. However, Musngi indicated there was no discussion about the possibility of acquiring the TV rights although he said the network would love to get the rights to another certified blockbuster.