Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
Ukrainian Boxing Federation: No Klitschko at Olympics - Boxing News
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Follow BoxingScene
 
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
• Register A Free Account
• Account Login
• Boxing Schedule
• Boxing Champions
• Boxing Downloads
• Boxing Forums
• Boxing News Wire
• Boxing Photos
• Boxing History
• Boxer Search
• Fantasy Betting
• Feedback
• Fitness and Health  
• Free Homepage
• Mixed Martial Arts
• Pound For Pound
• Upcoming Fight Archive
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  4/28/2014       Read more by Boxing Clever         
   
Ukrainian Boxing Federation: No Klitschko at Olympics
Share Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database 

Wladimir Klitschko's hopes of boxing at the 2016 Olympic Games have been dealt a blow.

The undisputed world heavyweight champion failed to get permission to take part in Ukraine’s qualifying competition.

The executive board of the Ukrainian boxing federation have never given permission to either Klitschko or his older brother Vitali to take part in qualifying for the Games in Rio de Janeiro.

This means Wladimir has missed the deadline, according to the R-Sport news agency.

"The possibility of the participation of the Klitschko brothers in Olympic qualifying as professionals is something that has never been examined," the federation’s press service stated.

It comes as a blow to the 38-year-old, who had earlier been quoted by the Interfax-Ukraine news agency as saying: "I hope that international amateur boxing's ruling body will be kind to me, and that I will have enough health and motivation to perform at the Olympics in two years time."

The 38-year-old, who won gold at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, said he had spoken to his former coach, Emanuel Steward, during the 2012 London Games and that Steward had encouraged him to box again in Rio. Steward died in October 2012.

"It was our joint dream and I hope I will be able to fulfil it," Klitschko said. "I already have an Olympic title and it would be terrific to repeat this experience 20 years later."

Klitschko, who has lived in Germany since the 1990s, had an opportunity to take German citizenship and represent the country at the Olympics but he also failed to inform Germany's boxing association about his intentions in time.

"Unfortunately Klitschko has failed to meet the demands … He missed the opportunity to inform Germany's boxing association in time about his intention to represent our country at the Games," Germany's amateur boxing chief Jurgen Kyas said on Monday.

"His participation in the Games could be very useful for amateur boxing but we should observe the rules," he added.

Klitschko retained his WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts in Oberhausen, Germany, when he knocked out Australian challenger Alex in the fifth round last weekend. It was his 25th “world” title fight.

Tags: Wladimir Klitschko


 

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by johnnycontrolet, on 04-28-2014
Old news, Klitschko has told the media he could see his participation but was never interested in a year long qualification. Hope he can unify with the new WBC champion and targets Joe Louis' record instead of winning a gold medal he had already won in 96......

comment by Kris Silver, on 04-28-2014
So basically, before looking into it properly, he blabbed about wanting to do it to the press. But he forgot to even apply, AGAIN? :doh:

comment by PainfromUkraine, on 04-28-2014
As I said, this was old news...Wlad was ruled out from this a while ago. And good thing too, no real point of treading back over old ground and winning a pretty meaningless medal, he'd be better off continuing as he is and breaking records in the pros.

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (3) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Victor Ortiz Still Hungers for ...
  Donnie Nietes To Defend Against...
  De La Hoya: I Have Orders, Cane...
  Mayweather: Maidana Caught Me W...
  Zamora-Chavez Showdown Set For ...
  Kirkland-Rosado Agreement Reach...
  Golden Boy VP Says Santa Cruz-R...
  Amir Khan Would 'Love' Manny Pa...
  Juanma's Coach Will Refuse To T...
  Mickey Bey: I'm The Number One ...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.