UK News: George Kean, Hughie Fury, Sonny Upton

Hot London prospect George Kean aims to become the next Ricky Hatton as he follows up his sensational debut last month when he features again at the Copper Box Arena on Saturday 30th November.

The Islington star sold close to an incredible 1,000 tickets for his professional bow against Rick Boulter, outpointing the more experienced man and dropping him in the fourth round to the delight of his raucous fans.

Welterweight Kean, 22, reckons he can become a huge attraction in the capital with his all-action style, following a similar path to Hatton who first became a star in Manchester before becoming a British hero.

“When I was a kid Ricky Hatton was my idol.  He was the hero to my generation in the ring and if I can achieve half of what he achieved I’ll be a happy man.” Said Kean.

“I look up to Ricky as my inspiration and direction, my route and vision towards the top of boxing.  Ricky was a one off, but I aim to be the next big thing in British boxing,”

“I’ve based my style on Ricky’s with the same swarming come-forward style, plenty of angles and throwing lots of body shots.  I’ve naturally got a similar style to him and I’m in the gym practicing the same angles and body shots all the time,”

“I’ve already attracted a strong following and my debut was absolutely amazing.  I thrive on a big crowd and I felt at home in the ring with no nerves at all.  I wanted it to be twelve rounds, but it was all over in a flash so I’m looking forward to getting back into action on November 30th,”

“Just like Ricky’s philosophy, it’s about pleasing the fans who have bought tickets.  I want them to come away from one of my fights knowing that they’ve come to see me fight not box safely and cautiously.  This is the entertainment busy and I want to give value for money and that’s what they’ll get from me.”

Tickets for Rock The Box 2 priced at:

£40 (Upper concourse)

£50 (Lower seating bowl)

£70 (Floor)

£120 (Ringside)

Are available from Eventim Box Office on 0844 249 1000 or online at


SONNY UPTON isn't at all fazed about making his professional debut on foreign soil.

The Ricky Hatton-trained welterweight prospect will have his first taste of the ranks on the undercard of stable mate Sergey Rabchenko's European title defence to Cedric Vitu in Vratsa, Bulgaria on November 16.

And having fought in international tournaments as an amateur, the Anglo-Irish 24-year-old sees the fight's location as merely a place with another ring for him to shine in.

"I've boxed in America eight or nine times, I've been to Albania, Germany and I boxed in the World Championships so I've been about and boxing away doesn't bother me," he said.

"Boxing is a very lonely sport so it's actually good to be on Sergey's bill because it means we can train together like a team.

"I can't wait to get in there. I don't know how many months I've been training with Ricky, but everything we've been working on has come together nicely. I've got a lot stronger and now it's about showing how I've adapted from an amateur to a professional."

Sonny's pro berth may well see him get a little more time to make that adaption as, unlike most debutants, it's likely he'll be going straight into a six round bout rather the usual four.

"They don't really do four-rounders too much in Europe so I've been told I'll probably be doing a six-rounder, which I prefer if I'm honest," he stated. "It'll give me more time to see what my opponent's about before I open up.

"I think Ricky and the team are going to get me a decent enough opponent, one that has a go and tests me rather than swinging handbags.

"I don't want to go in there and try and punch my opponents lights out, I want to take my time and learn things."

Ricky Hatton said: "Sonny's a real talented kid, a nice mover and a wonderful boxer.

"He's only been with us for a few months and seeing the improvement he's made in that time gets me excited about what he's going to be like when he's had 12 months under his belt."

London (10 October) Hughie Lewis Fury is back in action this Sunday afternoon as he steps back into the ring at Hermitage Leisure Centre, Whitwick, Leicestershire, on Mitchell Sports Promotions' 'Neutral Ground' show, October 13th.

The 19-year-old heavyweight bids to improve his perfect professional record to 11 straight victories, after outclassing and almost stopping Dorian Darch several times in his last outing, just two weeks ago at York Hall, Bethnal Green, London.

Targetting the famous record of Mike Tyson, to become the youngest ever world heavyweight champion, Hughie is not taking anyone lightly. Training and sparring the likes of his older cousin Tyson Fury, former IBF world cruiserweight champion Steve “USS” Cunningham and “Fast” Eddie Chambers, Hughie is looking to give his best performance to date as he continues his professional journey.

Doors for the Mitchell Promotions' ‘Neutral Ground’ open at 2pm, with boxing scheduled to start at 3pm.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Jack Doesn’t Take Much From DeGale’s Tough Fight with Medina Joshua's Fight Will Land on Showtime - Price, Jennings or Molina Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia Could Air on CBS in Prime Time George Foreman: Joshua Could Be Become an All-Time Great Andy Lee Wants Tough Fight, Gennady Golovkin Showdown Carl Frampton: I'll Beat Leo Santa Cruz Even More Convincingly! Jack: DeGale is Very Tough, I’ll Win and Be Best at 168 Arthur Abraham Out Of Martin Murray Rematch In Monte Carlo Craig Cunningham Heading To 154 After Shocker Over Ogogo Photos: Juanma Grinds Hard For Wilfredo Vazquez Grudge Fight Denis Shafikov vs. Richard Commey Set, Heading To Russia Broner vs. Granados on Feb. 11, Thurman vs. Garcia on March 4 Badou Jack vs. James DeGale Unification Set For January 14 Hosea Burton vs. Frank Buglioni Lands on Anthony Joshua Card Claressa Shields Pro Debut Finalized For Kovalev vs. Ward PPV Payano Eyes December Return in Quest For Second Title Reign Jason Sosa Embraces Smith Defense, Eyes Three Fights in 2017 Arum Apologizes To King For Post-Presidential Debate Vegas Spat Felix Verdejo is Very Eager To Get His Hands on Terry Flanagan Bob Arum on The Possibility of Miguel Cotto vs. Timothy Bradley Abel Sanchez: Ponamarev Likely Back on Lomachenko vs. Walters Bryant Jennings Ready To Step In, Face Anthony Joshua on 12/10 Dereck Chisora: Dillian Whyte is Nothing - I Will Stop Him! Vernon Forrest - Third Man Has Been Convicted in His Murder Pacquiao Feels Brunt of Long Flight, Takes Off From Training Marquez: If Canelo Trades With Golovkin - He's Committing Suicide! Lucas Browne Finds Himself in Limbo After Klitschko's Injury Andre Ward Aims To Set The Record Straight With Sergey Kovalev Video: Joe Smith Jr. Very Pumped To Face Bernard Hopkins Haye Explains Why Anthony Joshua-Eric Molina is Next - Not Price Marrero vs. Zambrano Talks Progress As Purse Bid Looms Klitschko's Manager Says Unfinished Contract Led To 2017 Jump Video: Oscar De La Hoya on Schaefer's Return, Hopkins, More Photos: Bernard Hopkins, Joe Smith Jr. - Face To Face at Presser Anthony Mundine, Danny Green Rematch Set For February 3 Video: Bernard Hopkins, Joe Smith - Go Face To Face Video: Bernard Hopkins Breaks Down Joe Smith Showdown Arum on Parker vs. Ruiz Possibly Heading To The United States Joshua-Klitschko Eyed For March, April at Principality Stadium Vanes Martirosyan: I’m Not Happy With Al Haymon, My Promoter

Latest Active Forum Threads