Tyson Marquez-Rodel Mayol Back in Play, Says Koncz
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Former world light flyweight champion Rodel Mayol scored an impressive ten round decision over former WBO flyweight champion Julio Cesar “Pingo” Miranda. He dropped the rugged Mexican three times en route to a handsome win on the undercard of the Brian Viloria-Omar Nino Romero title fight at the Ynares Center in Pasig City.
All three judges had Mayol an easy winner with scores of 100-87, 99-90 and 97-91.
Mayol, who trained alongside Manny Pacquiao in Baguio City for two weeks, began in explosive fashion dropping Miranda with a perfectly-timed right hand at the 1:44 mark in the very first round and as he went after the former world champion from Mexico from whom Brian Viloria won the WBO flyweight title last year, Mayol almost dropped Miranda again with a flurry of punches.
In an effort to quickly turn the tide Miranda who had suffered a nick on his left eyebrow came forward aggressively but walked into a three-punch combination capped by a solid left hook and an uppercut that sent him crashing to the canvas for the second time in the fight at the 1:55 mark of the second round..
A left jab followed by a series of punches to the body and head ended with Miranda lunging forward wildly and almost crashing through the ropes after missing badly.
Mayol continued to hammer the outclassed Mexican and dropped him for a third time in the fight with a series of body shots followed by a hard right. Miranda tried to get inside and rough up Mayol but the Filipino was too smart and caught Miranda rushing in with perfectly timed lefts and rights.
Manny Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz of MP Promotions who received round-by-round updates on the progress of the fight told the Manila Standard that he is working on a title fight against WBA champion Hernan “Tyson” Marquez after their title fight was aborted when Mayol refused to fight after Marquez came in two pounds overweight and local boxing officials tried to hide the fact and claim the champion made the weight.
Koncz claimed the controversy would never have happened if Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions was at the weigh-in. Koncz said he is scheduled to meet with Beltran and Juan Carlos of Zanfer Promotions in Los Angeles on Wednesday to discuss details of a title fight between Mayol and “Tyson” Marquez later this year.