Tua vs. Ortiz in Play; Parker Eyes Bout Before Botha
By Liam Napier
Joseph Parker's fight with Francois Botha has been placed in jeopardy, with the Kiwi heavyweight set to step into the ring just weeks before the biggest test of his professional career.
Details are yet to be finalised, but Sunday News understands Parker, who is in the middle of a training camp with Kevin Barry in Las Vegas, will take on a yet-to-be-confirmed opponent in Burbank, California, on May 16 in what is expected to be an eight-round fight.
Parker is scheduled to go toe-to-toe with Botha on June 13 and Duco Events promoter Dean Lonergan acknowledged there were major risks taking blows under a month before the 21-year-old takes on the South African veteran in Auckland.
"There are always risks," Lonergan said. "You're in the heavyweight division. If someone lands a punch right on the chin there's a chance you'll go down.
"We think the benefits outweigh the risks."
Lonergan admitted if Parker suffered an unlikely knockout the Botha fight may not go ahead.
"We'd have to reassess it after that," he said. "It is a possibility but it's not something that enters our mind simply because we have total faith in Joseph and Kevin."
By mid-May, Parker will have spent a month in Vegas training three times a day - living, eating and breathing boxing.
"We're in the middle of tracking down an opponent. We want someone who can mimic Botha. They've got to be durable, tough and come forward," Lonergan said.
"We need to find out if what Joseph is learning with Kevin is being taken on board. If Joseph can't implement what's required in the first fight then it's hard to think he'll pick up the strategy against Botha."
While in California, Lonergan and business partner David Higgins will also attempt to convince undefeated Cuban Luis Ortiz to renege on his request for $200,000 to fight David Tua.
Last week Sunday News revealed Miami-based Ortiz had agreed to fight Tua only to demand his purse was doubled.
The Tua-Ortiz match-up is now in the balance, with Lonergan indicating Duco was not willing to pay $200,000.
"His trainer, manager and promoter all want the fight to happen - it's just a case of us sitting down and trying to get it over the line."
[QUOTE=joe strong;13302940]Since he is the #2 ranked contender & is looking for a stay busy fight...Is ortiz getting that fighting stiffs? If a former contender who is 40 & offering $100000 is not the perfect stay busy fight then i…Comment by joe strong on 04-28-2013
[QUOTE=jasontreks;13302712]Ortiz should pass unless he wants a stay-busy fight. He's ranked #2 by the WBA and can fight #1 David Haye for the 'regular' WBA belt after the September fight between W. Klitschko and Povetkin. Haye would probably take the…Comment by jasontreks on 04-28-2013
Ortiz should pass unless he wants a stay-busy fight. He's ranked #2 by the WBA and can fight #1 David Haye for the 'regular' WBA belt after the September fight between W. Klitschko and Povetkin. Haye would probably take the…Comment by joe strong on 04-28-2013
ortiz has a good ranking & tua is 40. $100000 doesn't sound bad to me. ortiz hasn't exactly been in the spotlite...Post a Comment - View More User Comments (4)