By Lem Satterfield
Southpaw WBA junior middleweight king Austin Trout spoke to BoxingScene.com on Wednesday during his first interview since being cleared of blame for a failed post-fight drug test after his June 11 unanimous decision over David "Destroyer" Lopez in San Luis Potosi, Mex.
The 25-year-old Trout (23-0, 13 knockouts) of Las Cruces, New Mexico, explained the circumstances surrounding the situation, his subsequent submission of a negative test, and also shed light on the goals of his future, including an Aug. 24 defense of his belt against Australia's Anthony Mundine (42-4, 25 KOs).
Trout also said that his camp is in talks for a November clash with southpaw WBO titlist Sergei Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KOs), and that his long-range goals include facing 20-year-old WBC champ Saul Alvarez (37-0-1, 27 KOs), WBA super world titlist Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs) or IBF champ Cornelius Bundrage (31-4, 18 KOs) as well.
BoxingScene.com: Do you smoke marijuana?
Austin Trout: No, I do not. That's contradictory to what I do.
BoxingScene.com: Can you discuss the details around your positive drug test for Marijuana?
AT: When I took this post-fight drug test, it was very wishy washy in how they handled it. The first thing that happened was that they told me that there was going to be no post-fight drug test, so we were leaving.
We didn't leave right away. We had lingered around for about an hour and a half or so, taking photos and talking with the fans a while after they had told us that.
Then, as we were walking out and our stuff is packed, this guy in a white coat pulls us aside and says that we needed to take the test now.
So we were like, 'Okay, that's fine.' So we were like, 'Let's go and make this happen.' So me, my promoter, Greg Cohen, and the doctor walked to the dressing room.
Me and the doctor were there and Greg was waiting outside. I peed into one cup, and I didn't have enough for the next one.
So I told the guy, 'You're going to have to let me drink some water and wait a little bit so that I can do some more.' But then the guy was like, 'Nah, that's alright.'
But you know I'm speaking in half-broken Spanish. So he's pouring it from one cup to the next, and I noticed that he didn't put a seal on it or my name on it.
In my broken Spanish, I asked him, 'Could you please seal that up?' And I was hoping that he would put my name on it because I didn't want it my test being mixed up with anybody else's.
The doctor just kind of said, 'It's alright, it's okay.' Usually they make you sign a paper saying, you know, that this is your pee and that you're claiming that it's your piss.
But I told Greg, 'You know what, Greg? I didn't even sign the paper.' Greg's like, 'Well, do you want me to go back?' But I was like, 'If anything happens, they basically shot themselves in the foot.' Nor did they seal it, nor did they label it.
BoxingScene.com: So when did you become aware of the positive drug test?
AT: I think that it was like a Tuesday that I heard about something circulating on the internet that my drug test had been failed. But I really wasn't surprised.
Because from the time that we had arrived in Mexico, very little had been done in a professional manner and everything was sort of shaky.
So I was like, after everything that has gone wrong with this trip, that doesn't surprise me at all. But, I was like, 'This isn't right."
So I went to a lab right away in SED Labs here in Las Cruces, which is based out of Albuquerque. I got a negative result and I immediately faxed that to my promoter right away.
This was within a matter of hours of me hearing about the positive post-fight drug test. The Mexican commission sent that in to the WBA.
Because of the lack of evidence that the Mexican commission had, I really should not have had to put in a negative test on my own.
But it was just for good faith on my part not only to clear my name, but to show that they didn't document the changing of hands correctly.
So then, when I looked on the internet after posting my own negative test, somebody posted the 'positive' test. But if you look at the date of the positive test that was posted, it read that the test was taken on June 13.
But that as two days after we had fought and two days after I had actually taken the original test. And also, remember, there were no signatures on the test that I took.
But the one that they posted -- which I had never seen before -- had my name typed in obviously with no signature.
BoxingScene.com: What do you want your fans to know about this entire situation?
AT: This whole episode and this whole scandal has been damaging to my image. I'm not a cheater and I do respect the game of boxing. When I'm training, I do take it very seriously. I want all of my fans to know that I'm still a champion and I take that honor very seriously.
Every defense and every fight that I have, I'm putting my all into the training and into fighting, unlike this might look.
BoxingScene.com: So now what are your plans in the wake of all of this madness?
AT: Now, I have pretty much been focused on August and the fight with Anthony Mundine. We've been training and have gotten our camp going. Now, we can really just focus on the next fight instead of all of this past bull.
I wanted to be the undisputed champion of this weight class, that's my goal. So I'm gunning after Canelo Alvarez, and Miguel Cotto and Cornelius Bundrage also. Everybody who has a belt ,that's who I want.
We do have talks going for a fight with Sergei Dzinziruk in November, so you're hearing that here first. That fight with Dzinziruk would be a good fight for me, because I saw how Sergio Martinez kind of imposed his will on Dzinziruk and was able to knock him out.
I was actually the one who helped to prepare Sergio Martinez when he was getting ready for that fight.