By Rick Reeno
BoxingScene.com has been advised by Keith Kizer, the Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, that Golden Boy Promotions "verbally" informed him that their company is planning to stage an event at the MGM Grand on December 8th. According to Kizer, Golden Boy told him they had the date, of December 8, reserved at the MGM for "months."
As BoxingScene reported two days ago, Top Rank submitted an official request to the Nevada Commission for December 8th at the MGM Grand, where former eight division world champion Manny Pacquiao is scheduled to return.
Last Friday, BoxingScene spoke to Golden Boy's CEO Richard Schaefer, and despite Top Rank's plan with Pacquiao, he stood firm that his company was planning to stage a "big event" on December 8.
"We've had that [date] for a long time. We've had the date [reserved] on pay-per-view for a long time as well. We are working on a big event for December the 8th and I'm going to leave it at that for now ," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.
At the present, Kizer is attempting to get confirmation from the MGM regarding the above referenced situation.
However, Kizer notes that Top Rank, to date, is the only company to submit a "written request" for December 8 at the MGM. That may or may not be because of next Saturday night, when Saul Alvarez defends his WBC 154-pound title against Josesito Lopez at the MGM. Schaefer had previously told BoxingScene that their 12/8 headliner would depend on the outcome of Canelo-Lopez.
Tags: Top Rank , Golden Boy Promotions