Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
Tony Bellew: The Nathan Cleverly Fight Has To Happen - Boxing News
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Follow BoxingScene
 
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
• Register A Free Account
• Account Login
• Boxing Schedule
• Boxing Champions
• Boxing Downloads
• Boxing Forums
• Boxing News Wire
• Boxing Photos
• Boxing History
• Boxer Search
• Fantasy Betting
• Feedback
• Fitness and Health  
• Free Homepage
• Mixed Martial Arts
• Pound For Pound
• Upcoming Fight Archive
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  5/26/2011       Read more by Phil Barnett         
   
Tony Bellew: The Nathan Cleverly Fight Has To Happen
Share Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database 

By Phil Barnett, Press Association Sport

Tony Bellew believes last week’s “electric” face-off with Nathan Cleverly has lit the touchpaper for an inevitable world title scrap.

The Liverpudlian is still getting over “the darkest 36 hours of my life” after he was granted a shock world title shot at Cleverly last Thursday and engaged in a fiery press conference, only to pull out hours later due to problems making the weight.

The unbeaten Commonwealth champion then watched on as Welsh rival Cleverly, defending his WBO light-heavyweight belt for the first time, beat Poland’s Aleksy Kuziemski inside four rounds on Saturday.

Promoter Frank Warren has confirmed to Press Association Sport he hopes to match the pair later this year and Bellew believes the buzz created by their angry exchange last week has at least whetted the public’s appetite.

“He doesn’t like me and I don’t like him,” the 28-year-old Evertonian told Press Association Sport.

“I genuinely cannot stand the sight of Nathan Cleverly. When I see his face I want to punch it. I don’t like it. I was close at the press conference.

“If I’d got the other side of Frank I would have walloped him.

“Nathan Cleverly is intimidated by me. Deep down, when he goes to bed at night, when he closes his door, when he is all alone, Nathan Cleverly is scared of Tony Bellew. I know that. He is intimidated by me.”

The feisty press conference had to be taken off air by Sky Sports News as Bellew and Cleverly nearly came to blows and exchanged numerous profanities.

Bellew, however, believes the publicity it generated will boost his chances of securing the fight he craves.

He said: “It was electric and everyone wanted to see the fight. I was told the pay-per-view sales had started to go absolutely crazy after the press conference. Everyone wants to see the fight now and it’s just a case of the public demanding it happens and Sky wanting it to happen.

“Frank Warren knows the business so he’s obviously going to want this fight to happen. He knows it is a money-spinner, it’s massive, and if you ask me it’s got pay-per-view written all over it.

“That press conference has done something like 10,000 hits on YouTube. It’s crazy. There were 5,000 people going to tune in in Liverpool to that pay-per-view fight, just on the back of that press conference.

“A thousand Evertonians were willing to get on trains, buses, to do whatever they had to do to get to London for it. I would have been bringing crazy numbers with me to the O2 Arena. Hopefully it can get done and we can see it done as soon as possible.”

Warren told Press Association Sport he will meet with Cleverly to sound him out soon.

“Obviously a lot depends on what Nathan wants to do,” the promoter said. “It’s obviously a natural fight. I’m seeing Nathan next week and we’ll chat about it.
“Obviously Tony wants it but there’s no doubt it would be a huge fight, I’m quite confident of that. Last week showed that.”

As for the heartache of last week’s turbulent events, Bellew - who fights Ovill McKenzie in a rematch for the Commonwealth and British belts on July 16 - said: “Everyone forgets that I felt like I had the winning lottery ticket in my hand and then I lost it down the drain.

“It was one of the darkest 36 hour periods I’ve had in my whole life, that weekend.”

Tags: Nathan Cleverly , Tony Bellew , Cleverly-Bellew , Cleverly vs Bellew


 

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by denium, on 05-27-2011
Bellew is ****ing rubbish though. He needs to start beating some decent opposition.

comment by robbie_howard, on 05-27-2011
[QUOTE=junior gong]Very simple Tony. Fight and beat a few decent ranked fighters and earn your shot.[/QUOTE] couldn't agree more, what ever happened to earning your title shot?

comment by robbie_howard, on 05-27-2011
Exactly! couldn't agree more

comment by War-Robbo, on 05-26-2011
Would be a great build up and a war!!! Would prefer to see this than enzo!!!

comment by junior gong, on 05-26-2011
Very simple Tony. Fight and beat a few decent ranked fighters and earn your shot.

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (6) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Report: Mikey Garcia Sues Top R...
  Jermell Charlo to fight Charli...
  Leapai Has Best Training Camp E...
  Jennings-Perez, Macklin-Geale L...
  Luis Concepcion Decides To Move...
  Marquez: Fans Want Pacquiao-May...
  Marcus Johnson Withdraws From E...
  Ryota Murata Will Have a Ten Ro...
  Troyanovskiy Suffers Injury, Ab...
  Bryan Vasquez targets Mikey Gar...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved. Material may not be replicated in any manner without the written consent of BoxingScene.com