Advertisement
Advertisement

Tony Bellew is Confident That He Will Get Nathan Cleverly

Tony Bellew is confident he will soon get another chance to fight Nathan Cleverly for the Welshman's WBO light-heavyweight crown.

Bellew was suddenly handed a shot at the world title last month when champion Juergen Braehmer pulled out of a scheduled bout with Cleverly at London's O2 Arena just days before the show.

Cleverly was subsequently upgraded from 'interim' champion with long-time rival Bellew named as the challenger for his first defence of the belt, but the Liverpudlian then failed to make the required 12st 7lb weight limit and Poland's Aleksy Kuziemski stepped in to take his place.

While Cleverly went on to defeat Kuziemski, Bellew was left to reflect on what might have been, but the 28-year-old (15-0, 10 KOs) is sure it will not be long before he gets the opportunity to make amends for what happened.

"It was the darkest 36 hours of my life," Bellew told Press Association Sport.

"I lost a stone in 24 hours and I just needed to lose a bit more. I just couldn't get it down any more and I was devastated.

"But that is just how it goes. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I have always been very strong mentally and I know how to rebound and get on with things.

"I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, setting my goals and striving to achieve them.

"My chance will come, without a shadow of a doubt. I think the exposure and the build-up between myself and Cleverly now is massive.

"People want to see the fight, everybody is itching to do it, so it is there."

For the time being, Bellew is preparing for his rematch with Ovill McKenzie at Liverpool's Echo Arena on July 16, which is part of the undercard for Ricky Burns' WBO super-featherweight title defence against Nicky Cook.

"The bout with Cleverly is within touching distance, but I have to come through July 16," Bellew said.

"It means nothing if I don't come through this next fight. My full focus is on McKenzie and then we can start talking about Nathan Cleverly."

Bellew was floored twice in the early stages by Jamaican-born Derby resident McKenzie (18-10, 7 KOs) when the pair previously met last December in Liverpool, but the local fighter recovered to secure victory by technical knock-out in the eighth round.

"I went in there and started too slow - I was switched off at the beginning, but I came through," Bellew said.

"I took his best punches and it was amazing to people how I got up.

"But I've got two lovely kids at home and that is the reason I got off the floor and why I do what I do - that is what pushes me to succeed.

"I'm looking forward to this rematch and doing the business."

McKenzie, winner of the Prizefighter tournament at cruiserweight two years ago, is looking to regain the light-heavyweight Commonwealth belt currently held by Bellew having been champion himself for a spell between 2006 and 2007, while the vacant British title is also up for grabs.

"It's very good to have two belts to bring back to Derby," McKenzie said.

"The main thing is to win that Commonwealth belt back. It is a big thing for me - I'm 31 and I need that belt in my life to keep me motivated in the boxing game."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by leemoorcroft on 06-13-2011

better statement from bellew but think at this stage cleverly would easy win and is alot younger than bellew . good power hes got so always a punchers chance but can it break that wopper of a chin on cleverly…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (1)
Top Headlines Amir Khan Plans To Fight in January, May and December Caleb Plant Dominates De Angel in PBC on FS1 Main Event Jhonny Gonzalez vs. Hirotsugu Yamamoto Card Coming Together Canelo-Smith on Pace To Outdo Pacquiao, Says Golden Boy VP Video: Abel Sanchez on Brook, Andre Ward, 160 Landscape Video: Loeffler Talks Brook-Golovkin, Jacobs, Carl Froch, More Video: Gennady Golovkin Talks Kell Brook, Unification, More Video: Roman Gonzalez Talks Cuadras Clash, Training Camp LaRon Mitchell Expects Tough Fight With Mario Heredia Luis Ortiz Brushes Off Golden Boy Split, Vows To Batter Ustinov Video: Gennady Golovkin Putting in Work For Kell Brook Fight Gervonta Davis, Floyd Mayweather at Odds, Sosa Bout in Doubt? Errol Spence Over The Moon With MONSTER Rating of 6 Million Liam Smith Warns: I'm Coming in There To Knock Canelo Out! Orlando Salido vs. Takashi Miura Showdown in The Works Eddie Ramirez-Kevin Watts Top FS1 on PBC, September 13 Luis Ortiz, Golden Boy Promotions Officially Part Ways Lemieux vs. Stevens Still Being Worked on, Says Golden Boy VP Jessie Vargas Reflects on The Kell Brook Fight Falling Out Saunders Trashes Eubank Jr. and His Father: Stop Talking Sh*t! Kell Brook: I'm Not Done With 147, I'd Fight Errol Spence! Del Valle Vows To Take The Fight To De La Hoya on Canelo-Smith Luke Campbell vs. Derry Mathews Set For October 15 Margarito Still Aiming For Canelo, Major Opponent in The Fall Kovalev's Coach: Ward's Lack of Power Will Be Biggest Drawback Eubank Frustrated: Golovkin is Running Scared, He Lost Respect! Eduard Troyanovsky-Keita Obara Card Coming Together For 9/9 Nicola Adams To Ponder Next Career Move, Will She Go Pro? Dereck Chisora: I Want Pulev Rematch, I'm Ready To Face Anyone Rio Team Summary: Uzbekistan Tops Cuba, Makes HUGE Splash Cameron Hammond: Commonwealth Shot Is Career Launchpad Deontay Wilder's Manager: The Goal is Still To Unify The Division McCullough Pleads With Amir Khan To Avoid McGregor Disaster Tony Yoka, Estelle Mossely Hailed By France as The Golden Couple Big Fights on The Horizon Generate Pound For Pound Sentiments Froch Smiles, Explains Why Golovkin is NOT a Top 5 P4P Fighter Video: Jessie Vargas Breaks Down Manny Pacquiao Clash Spence-Bundu Bout Draws PBC Network-Record 6 Million Viewers Gilberto Ramirez To Get Hand Evaluated, Aims For Fall Defense Photos: Caleb Plant, Juan De Angel Ready For PBC Clash
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement