The 26-year-old Thomas Oosthuizen, who has experiencing weight and personal problems, on Friday described himself as "a champion without a belt."
The WBA has ranked him at No 4 on its light-heavyweight list even before he has fought in the division.
Promoter Rodney Berman, who cut ties with Oosthuizen after the boxer, who is nicknamed "Tommy Gun", allegedly failed to honour certain commitments, said on Friday the problems between them had been solved. "He has to show that he has turned the corner and is serious about doing justice to his ability," Berman said.
It has not been decided whether Oosthuizen will be included in the lineup for the Super Six light-heavyweight competition to be held later this year. If he is, it could lead to a fight against the WBC's sixth-ranked Rayno Liebenberg.
"Deeds, not words, will decide the issue and I could be swayed by popular opinion," Berman said. "If the public want to see a confrontation between Oosthuizen and Liebenberg we'll have to take note but there are other considerations as well."
Oosthuizen withdrew from a fight in Canada earlier this year after a motorcycle accident and Berman announced he would cut ties with the fighter. The fighters weight had increased to a point where he might have struggled to make the light-heavyweight limit.
He has since undergone a rehabilitation programme and was reunited with long-time trainer Harold Volbrecht, who said Oosthuizen had regained his zest for training and was already in good shape.
"No comeback fight has been finalised, so I have had to curb his training routine so he does not reach peak fitness too soon," Volbrecht said.
Oosthuizen is undefeated after 24 professional fights, including two draws. He defended his IBO title seven times.Tags: Thomas Oosthuizen