By Salvador Rodriguez
Sebastian Contursi, advisor of WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana, says his side has not received any confirmation that WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. agreed to fight them on May 3rd at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Maidana and British star Amir Khan are the two frontrunners to face Mayweather.
On Friday, Khan took to the social networks and complained that Mayweather made him waste his time by selecting Maidana for the May date. A claim that Maidana's team have denied.
"Until Mayweather's people send us a signed contract [that Floyd is facing] Maidana, which so far has not happened, frankly I can not say that the fight is confirmed," said Contursi.
"If the Mayweather fight happens, I think it would certainly be one of the most important in the history of boxing in our country [Argentina]. Also it would be [taking place] close to [the fight between] 'Maravilla' Martinez and Cotto, which is a tribute to this great generation of Argentines, which include Lucas Matthysse, Omar Narvaez, Juan Carlos Reveco and new [fighters] such as Jesus Cuellar."