Daniel Geale's camp has refuted claims from fellow Australian boxer Sam Soliman that the pair have signed a deal to meet later this year.
Soliman is the mandatory challenger for Geale's IBF middleweight belt after his unanimous points win over Felix Sturm in Germany on the weekend.
The victory came just days after Geale defended the title against Anthony Mundine in Sydney, and this morning Soliman said his fellow Australian had given the fight the green light, with just the date to be finalised.
"We're going to get the shot, and we've locked it in on contract," the Victorian said.
"We're just waiting for the date and we'll be fighting."
However, News Ltd reports that Geale's manager Bill Treacy has shot down the Victorian's claims as they weigh up whether to seek permission from the IBF to make a lucrative voluntary defence first before facing Soliman.
"We've signed nothing," said Treacy. "There's a three-way hook-up on Thursday with me, (promoter) Gary Shaw and Daniel to decide what to do."
Tasmanian Geale, who is based in Sydney, was last year stripped of his WBA Super title when he opted to fight Mundine over mandatory challenger Gennady Golovkin.
Soliman (43-11, 17 KOs) said Geale (29-1-1 15 KOs) wouldn't risk losing another belt for not fulfilling a mandatory defence against him within 90 days.
"Having the title gives you leverage to negotiate other fights so how will he get a shot at them if he relinquishes," Soliman told SEN radio.
"He won't have any leverage, he won't have anything to put on the table.
"It's a no-brainer and not only that, how bad would it be for him when the whole world wants to see us go at it."
Soliman was considered a long-shot to topple the highly-rated Sturm on his home turf, particularly after a round two knock-down thanks to a potent German right hand.
But Soliman said after that he "fired up" and his frantic work-rate and awkward style wore Sturm down over he last three rounds.
He has a reputation as one of the nice guys of boxing, alongside Geale who gained a new legion of fans against the polarising Mundine.
Soliman didn't think the fight would lose any appeal without a "bad guy" element.
"What he's done in his career and what I've done in mine, we don't need that build-up.
"People just want to see two boxers go at it.
"We've both got so much on the line neither of us are going to take a step back."