Team Casimero Confident of Defeating Guevara on August 4
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Promoter Sammy Gello-ani is confident of the chances of newly crowned IBF junior flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero (16-2, 10 KO’s) in retaining his title against undefeated Mexican Pedro Guevara (18-0-1, 13 KO’s) in Sinaloa, Mexico on August 4.
Gello-ani told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that Casimero will head to Los Angeles on July 30th before flying to Mexico a couple of days before the fight. He said Casimero “is so familiar and used to fighting abroad just like in Argentina when he won the Interim title with a 10th round TKO of Luis Lazarte, we know how to manage these things.”
The well-known promoter said the impressive record of Guevara didn’t awe Casimero because the Mexican had “fought fighters with no names so far and I am confident Casimero can hold on to the title because of his experience outside.”
Gello-ani said the fight against Guevara had been planned months but was postponed on more than one occasion and Casimero had trained “for so long that we had to go slow because of the change of plans from June to July 28 and now August 4 which he said “is just perfect for us.”
Trainer Christopher Tepora who was with Casimero in Argentina and was among those ganged upon by supporters of Lazarte after the fight said “if he won in Argentina why can’t we do it in Mexico?”
Gello-ani conceded that it was hard to promote a title fight in the Philippines and he had to defend his title in Mexico because “he has to fight. He’s been stagnant f or so many months” with his last fight against Lazarte taking place on February 10, 2012.
Guevara won the North American Boxing Federation title with a 7th round TKO over Jorle Estrada on October 22, 2011. He also won the WBC Silver title with a 3rd round knockout of Karluis Diaz on December 18, 2010.
The fight will be held in Guevara’s hometown of Mazatlan, Sinaloa and the4 IBF No. 5 ranked challenger is given a good chance by Mexican supporters to get the better of Casimero.
Casimero who won the Interim title was elevated to full champion by IBF Championship Committee chairman Lindsey Tucker after champion Ulises Solis indicated he would be unable to defend his title because of surgery on a broken jaw before the extended deadline of October 30 for his mandatory defense.