Advertisement
Advertisement

Team Canelo Waiting, and Hoping, Cotto Takes Deal

By Salvador Rodriguez

Junior middleweight contender Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-1-1, 30KOs) is waiting, and hoping, that former three division world champion Miguel Cotto (38-4, 21KOs) agrees to fight him in the main event of a Showtime Pay-Per-View card on March 8th. Golden Boy Promotions offered Cotto a $10 million dollar deal to take the fight. The other option for Cotto is a chance to capture his fourth divisional title against WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, but the money involved in that deal is reportedly only worth $5 million dollars in terms of the guarantee.

Jose "Chepo" Reynoso, Alvarez's manager, hopes a deal can be worked out in the next few days.

"Saul is the best choice for Cotto. Money is money and ultimately everyone looks for the best purses and the best options. [Canelo] is a great option. The truth is, I think no one can offer [Cotto] more. It's a great deal and it speaks volumes that Golden Boy Promotions is doing things right. They delivered what they promised. We want that fight. We gave our list of opponents and Cotto is one of them. Golden Boy threw the hook and pulled the net to get him. The important thing is that Cotto says yes so we can define other things. We have the March date, while Martinez, as we have heard, we do not know when he will be ready," said Reynoso.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by BendOver on 11-18-2013

[QUOTE=pvj;13938791]firstly, Cotto was older than 23 when he fought baily and corley....so just a yes or no, does Cotto have a better resume 23 and under? ....please don't try to justify or sidestep the question...yes, or no? secondly, your triangle…

Comment by pvj on 11-17-2013

[QUOTE=BendOver;13938746]I did respond to you, and even without looking at their record I have to say that by the time he was 22-24 years old he had already fought guys like Bailey, Corley, Torres, Maussa, Bazan, Juuko, Sosa, Ndou, etc...…

Comment by BendOver on 11-17-2013

[QUOTE=pvj;13938063]Ok, so my last statement was subjective, however, my first two points were not: Are you saying that Cotto's resume at the of 23 is better than that of Canelo's? Furthermore, are you also saying that Canelo didn't beat the…

Comment by samouraï on 11-17-2013

Very winnable fight for Cotto with the right gameplan and dedication to the body attack.

Comment by BendOver on 11-17-2013

[QUOTE=pvj;13937388]^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ becuase he beat the same man that beat Cotto last! A few of you are borderline brain dead. I'm not a Canelo fan, however, 1) This "hype job" has a much more impressive resume at the age of 23…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (78)
Top Headlines Canelo, Conor McGregor Trade Words Over 'Cherry Picking' Claim Cuadras: Chocolatito Has an Appointment With a Knockout Photos: Christian Gonzalez, Edgar Valerio, Nava Open Workouts Photos: Danny Roman, LaRon Mitchell Ready For 'New Blood' Photos: Guerrero vs. Peralta, Angulo vs. Hernandez Face To Face Roberto Duran's 'No Mas' Trunks Hit The Auction Block Photos: Tishchenko Honored For Gold Medal By Vladimir Putin Fox Sports 1 Pleased With Latest Ratings Figure For PBC Show Guy Robb Vows To Control Pace and Outbox Miguel Marriaga Michael Conlan Has NO FEAR of AIBA's Threats of Action Jose Benavidez's Father Gives Details, Update on Son's Shooting Tomasz Adamek Ponders a Final Ring Return For 2017 Canelo: A Shame Mexicans Criticize Their Athletes So Much! Nietes vs. Sosa: Mark Magsayo To Face Garcia on The Undercard David Price, Anthony Ogogo To Feature on Braehmer-Cleverly Canelo Expects Liam Smith To Bring The Fight To Him Ricky Burns To Face Mandatory Kiryl Relikh On Return Jose Benavidez Jr. Shot in Arizona, Taken To The Hospital Bryant Perrella-Yordenis Ugas on September 27, PBC on FS1 Giovanni De Carolis-Tyron Zeuge Rematch on November 5th Golovkin's Coach: Ward Beats Everyone at 175 - Except Kovalev! Vargas is Open To Facing Crawford After Stunning Pacquiao Sam Maxwell Turns Over, Joins MGM: Will Debut In October Golovkin Warns Saunders: My Goal is The WBO Belt, I Want it Next Anthony Crolla: I'll Have Jorge Linares Rematch in Las Vegas Williams-Patterson, Eubank Jr-Langford Confirmed For October 22 In Cardiff Derry Mathews Confident: I'll Dig Deep With Luke Campbell! Upton Brothers Leave Ricky Hatton Over "Turbulent Private Life" Dillian Whyte, Dereck Chisora Could Collide in December Smith Backs Froch: Kovalev is Best Pound For Pound Fighter! Amir Khan Says Land For Boxing Academy is Now in Dispute Team USA: Olympic Postmortem De La Hoya on Canelo-GGG: We Can't Afford To Wait Beyond 2017 Chocolatito: Cuadras Talks A lot, But I'll Prove it in The Ring! Golovkin: No Big Fights at 168, I Make 160 Easy - I'm Not Big 160 Juanma: Business Opportunity Made Me Return, Not Vazquez Morrison, Golub, Baranchyk, Peterkin Head To 9/23 ShoBox Robert Guerrero: I'm Ready For a World Title Shot Right Now! Photos: Gennady Golovkin, Roman Gonzalez Big Bear Media Day Saunders Still a Possibility for Canelo, Golden Boy Focused on Smith
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement