By Miguel Rivera
WBC junior middleweight champion Saúl “Canelo“ Álvarez will begin training next Monday in his native Guadalajara, as he begins to gradually reach the best physical peak possible for a planned return on May 4th. On Wednesday, WBC President Jose Sulaiman ordered Canelo to fight the winner of the upcoming final eliminator, taking place on Saturday night in Las Vegas, between Vanes Martirosyan and Erislandy Lara.
Manager Chepo Reynoso, and trainer Edison Reynoso, are standing firm on their marching orders to Golden Boy Promotions. Canelo (41-0-1, 30 KO's) wants the biggest fight possible and he presented three names, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Miguel Cotto and Sergio Martinez. Canelo and his team do not care which fighter is secured for May, but they want one of them.
“There will be major challenges next year. The time has come where Saul must face the best pound for pound fighters in the world," said Chepo Reynoso.
Edison recalls how a while back they previously turned down an offer to fight Mayweather, but now they feel ready to go.
“They offered us a fight with Floyd Mayweather, and they were giving us a good sum of money, but we decided that it wasn't the right moment and I believe that we weren't wrong," Edison said.