By Victor Gonzalez, notifight.com
According to trainer/manager Chepo Reynoso, the next opponent for WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (40-0-1, 29KOs) will be revealed on Monday by Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya. Chepo says De La Hoya will reveal the name of Canelo's opponent on his offical Twitter page. Canelo returns on a Showtime televised card on September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
"This past Friday, we spoke to Eric Gomez, matchmaker for Golden Boy. We believe that Oscar de la Hoya will use his Twitter to make [the opponent] known. We will start the promotional tour on Tuesday, the 24th of this month in Los Angeles. We'll then go to New York, Miami and Texas," Chepo said to BoxingScene.com/NotiFight.com.
Chepo says that on Wednesday he will travel to Los Angeles to begin the formal training with Alvarez.
"The people of Golden Boy got a particular gym in Santa Monica, which is really close to where we will be living. For the opponent, we will ask for about six sparring partners, and change them as we work."
Despite the comments of Richardo Mayorga, who claims to be traveling to the United States on Tuesday to sign a contract to face Canelo, sources close to the Mexican champion are denying Mayorga's claims.
Strong rumors are circulating that James Kirkland was possibly provided with a higher offer to accept the fight with Canelo, but the information has not been confirmed, or denied, by the parties involved. Kirkland previously agreed to face Canelo, but withdrew less than 24 hours later. He initially claimed to be suffering from a shoulder injury. Soon after, Kirkland's adviser made a demand for a much higher purse.
Tags: Saul Alvarez