|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Discover Natural Supplements That Really Give Relief From Arthritic Pain
If you suffer from arthritis pain, chances are you've heard of arelatively new over-the-counter remedy called Glucosamine. Butwhat is Glucosamine, and how does it work to relieve arthritis? In this article, I'll introduce you to this new treatment andprovide you with the pros and cons of its use. By the timeyou've finished reading this article, you'll be able to make aninformed decision on whether or not Glucosamine is right foryou.
What is Glucosamine?
Glucosamine, together with a related ingredient calledChondroitin, are substances which exist naturally in your body. It is believed that glucosamine helps to build and repaircartilage (the soft, spongy material between your joints), whilechondroitin lends to the elasticity and flexibility of joints. Adeficiency of either one can lead to increased wear and tear onthe joint, and cause redness, swelling and stiffness as a result.When used together, glucosamine and chondroitin act as atag-team of arthritis fighters, improving flexibility, soothinginflammation and reducing swelling caused by achy joints.
Where Can I Buy Glucosamine and Chondroitin Supplements? You can find these products in virtually any pharmacy or healthgoods store. The downside to this is, like other herbal andalternative medicines, supplements are not regulated by anygoverning body. That's why you'll need to do a little bit ofresearch to find the best, most potent brand for your needs. Here's what you need to know when comparison shopping for aglucosamine supplement:
· You should expect to pay anywhere from $1-3 per pill whentaking glucosamine daily. Since insurance companies rarely coversupplements of any kind, you'll most likely be paying for themout of pocket.
· Read the ingredients label on the bottle to determine thedosage. Approximately 1500mg of glucosamine and 1200mg ofchondroitin have been safely used in clinical trials. Dependingon your individual medication tolerances and the severity of yourarthritis, you should consult your physicial or rheumatologist tofind the right dose for your individual needs.
· Select supplements manufactured by a well-known, reputablecompany. Recommended brands include: Osteo Bi-Flex, WholeHealth,Flex-A-Min, MoveFree and individual pharmacy brands.
Are There Any Side Effects I Should Know About? As with any medication or supplements, there are a few warningsyou should know:
· If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, do not useglucosamine/chondroitin supplements, as no long-term studies havebeen done to gage what materials (if any) are passed on to thebaby either internally or through breast milk.
· If you are diabetic, chondroitin (a form of sugar) may causeyour blood sugar to rise.
· Chondroitin also acts as a mild blood thinner. Therefore, ifyou are taking any heart medication or are taking an aspirinregimen, have your blood clotting time checked more frequently byyour doctor.
· Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements should not be taken bychildren since no studies have been done to determine theireffect (if any) on the child's development.
(Please note: The information contained within this article isnot intended to replace or substitute for that of an experiencedphysician. Remember to check with your doctor or rheumatologistbefore starting daily glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, anddon't stop or reduce any of your current medications (whetherthey're for arthritis or not) without first talking with yourdoctor).
Warning: fopen(http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=Supplements&output=rss) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable in /home/boxing/public_html/supplements/inc/rss.inc on line 81
could not open XML input