|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Vitamins: How To Keep Your Body Healthy By Using Vitamins Safely
Vitamins are an important part of a health diet. Unlike carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, vitamins do not directly provide building blocks or energy for your body; vitamins function as assistants to your body in creating and breakdown down building blocks and storing and releasing energy.
Vitamins come in two basic types: water-soluble and fat-soluble (see the table on the website below)
If your diet generally follows the USDA Food Guide Pyramid, you will get the recommended daily allowances of vitamins (the amount people generally need). But there are many reasons why these guidelines might not get us the vitamins we need.
* Day-to-day living: In the rush of daily life, it may be hard to eat a consistently balanced diet. Sometimes we skip meals or buy them from sources (like fast-food restaurants) where we do not have easy access to information about nutritional value.
* Pregnancy: If you are pregnant (or breastfeeding), you may need to significantly change your vitamin intake. Folic acid is crucial to the brain and nervous system development of, but at the same time an excess of other vitamins (including vitamin A) can cause serious fetal injury.
* Seniority: Seniors often have difficulties eating or digesting certain foods, including those that can provide vitamins
* Diets: Being on low-calorie diets or diets that restrict certain types of food can significantly impact getting enough of all kinds of vitamins.
So for many of us, vitamin supplements will be helpful in getting and staying healthy. But like anything else we do for our health, it's as important to know the risks as the benefits.
* The "Too Much of a Good Thing" Trap: Vitamins in the proper doses are good for you. But many vitamins are toxic in large quantities, so taking more than enough may be a bad idea. Excess vitamin A can lead to nausea, vomiting, and peeling skin, and over the long-term can lead to significant damage to bones, brain and nerves. It can also be very dangerous for a developing fetus. Vitamin E can cause a rise in LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and like all fat-soluble vitamins, is stored in the liver, so if you take a little bit extra every day, the impact can show up over time. Even vitamin D, the bone-building vitamin, can actually encourage bone loss if taken in excess.
* Vitamins are not food: Vitamins are sometimes called "micronutrients." Small doses can keep us healthy. However, they are not a substitute for the food that your body needs to make energy and rebuild damaged tissue. Diets that severely restrict or eliminate proteins, fats, or carbohydrates can impair functioning, and vitamins cannot make up for that.
* Fetuses and children are not grown-ups: Children have special vitamins for a reason - their bodies need different things than adults do. Treat children's supplements like any other medication; they may taste like candy, but letting your child take more than the recommended dose can have significant consequences. To keep a fetus growing steadily and correctly, a vitamin discussion should be part of your regular prenatal care.
Dietary Guidelines for Americans, www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines
U.S.D.A. " Food Guide Pyramid," www.usda.gov/cnpp/pyramid2.htm
"Getting enough vitamins. Do you need to supplement a healthy diet?"Mayo Clinic Womens Healthsource. Volume 3, Issue March 7, p 4-5, 2003
Kmietowicz , Z. "Food watchdog warns against high doses of vitamins and minerals," British Medical Journal Volume 326, Issue1001, 2003
Oakley, GP and Mandel JS, "Folic acid fortification remains an urgent health priority,"British Medical Journal, Volume 329, Issue 7479, p1375-1376, 2004
Copyright (C) Shoppe.MD and Ian Mason, 2004-2005
Ian Mason, owner of Shoppe.MD, your source for Online Prescription Medications, drug information and support forums.
Ian is a fat-to-fit student of health, weight loss, exercise, and several martial arts; maintaining several websites in an effort to help provide up-to-date and helpful information for other who share his interests in health of body and mind.
Keeping Tabs on Niacin
Vitamin B3 is one of the vitamins that make up the nutritional powerhouse known as the Vitamin B complex. Vitamin B3 is also called niacin, nicotinic acid and niacinamide and serves many vital purposes in the proper functioning of the body and the mind.
The Secret to a Longer, Healthier, Happy Life is a Strong Immune System!
How can I improve my health and lifestyle beyond diet and exercise?Imagine all your worries about what your health quality of life will be in like retirement melting away!At the age of 39, I shamefully looked back on years of over-eating and under-exercising. Years of putting my health second to my desires to enjoy the "simple pleasures" of life.
Riboflavin for Migraine Headache Relief
Supplementing with relatively small amounts of riboflavin (vitamin B2) may reduce the severity and frequency of migraines in chronic sufferers, reports a study in Headache (2004;44:885-90). Previous studies showing that riboflavin can prevent migraines used 400 mg per day, which is at least 200 times the amount in a typical diet.
Are Fat Burner Products Safe?
A fat burner supplement operates by breaking down body fat through a principle of thermo genesis. The ability to stimulate the thyroid into action and raise body temperature is achieved by taking a fat burner product.
As with most nutrients and minerals, zinc is often ignored by the average person however, it is an essential mineral that plays many roles in promoting the healthy functioning of the body. Its importance to the body's well-being goes far back as the earliest moments of growth and development and is serves a highly important role in maintaining a healthy way of life.
The History of Hyaluronic Acid Treatments
While HA has dramatically increased in popularity and use within the cosmetics community, the vast majority of people remain unaware of its unique history.Also known as hyaluronan and glycosaminoglycan, it plays a key role in both tissue hydration and lubrication.
Increasing overall Health with Nutritional Supplements
"But I eat healthy," you might say. That may be but if you are not supplementingyour diet with nutritional supplements then you likely have certain nutritionaldeficiencies.
Body Building Supplementation
Body Building Supplement - what is it?The term "body building supplement" is familiar to almost everyone nowadays. Body building supplement is a supplement that is designed to help people who use it to achieve several things that include but are not limited to weight gain, muscle building, and strength training.
Mens Herbal Health Care - Health Enhancement Supplements
Over recent years, mens herbal health care has become big business. Men are now just as keen as women to enhance life with supplements, vitamin tablets, and various supplements that can aid good health and well being.
Fish Oils And A Plethora of Chronic Health Problems
I recently heard of an older couple that eats salmon every day for breakfast. To my finicky palate that does not sound as appetizing as waffles.
Beyond Macronutrients and the Importance of Vitamin Supplements
Most healthy eaters are familiar with the three macronutrients that garner the most media attention within the diet world: proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Indeed, some highly regarded eating programs, such as the Isometric Diet®, are designed to deliver an optimal balance of these three macronutrients.
Creatine, Caffeine, and Carbohydrates - Supplements That Work
It would seem that everyone is looking to squeeze the most out of their training investment and as a result, the supplement industry has globally become a multi-billion dollar industry. There are however very few legal ergogenic (performance enhancing) supplements on the market whose benefits are proven and whose negative side effects are minimal.
Improving Cellular Communication With Glyconutrients
The body is just mind-bogglingly amazing. I mean, when you think of all the complicated bio-physiological things it does by itself without your help?So what's up with all of that when you get sick? Why is it healthy one day and sick the next? Is your body trying to tell you it's low on pharmaceutical drugs? Or it is saying, "Look what happens, when you're feeding me nothing but junk food.
XanGo The Most Concentrated Source Of Xanthones, And Its All Natural
Xango is a brand new health and dietary supplement. It is made from the whole fruit puree of the Mangosteen.
Best Vitamins to Help Keep You Fit at Forty Plus
Our bodies change as we age, and to remain vigorous, active and healthy in our middle years and beyond requires that we supply them with good nutrition and regular exercise. It's almost too simple, isn't it? However, staying faithful to a healthy lifestyle requires commitment and self-discipline, and an understanding that you are the one who must make the appropriate choices.
What If You Could Turn Back The Clock To When You Were healthy?
What if there was a solution to protecting and restoring your health. What if you could turn back the clock and return to when you were healthy.
ZINOPIN: New All In One Natural Travel Supplement!
According to Dr John Scurr leading Consultant Vascular Surgeon and expert on Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and the less serious manifestations of sluggish or disturbed circulation such as swollen ankles, pins and needles, calf cramp etc are far more common than appreciated. Not just confined to air and coach travel, but any situations linked with long periods of immobility.
Stop Suffering With Arthritis Pain Today!
MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane) is a nutritional supplement derived from natural organic sulfur. It has been found to have tremendous pain relieving benefits for multiple ailments.
A Look at Whey Protein Powder
There are so many different whey protein powder products on the marketplace today that knowing which one is the best one for you is getting increasingly more complicated. To make things even more confusing, many of the competing brands use different suggested serving sizes, different measuring spoons and different container sizes just to make comparisons more difficult.
Know Your Bodybuilding Supplement - L-Arginine
Arginine is a semi-essential amino acid that the body cannot make naturally. It is found in nuts, seeds, chocolate and raisins.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.