By Ronnie Nathanielsz
World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman is trying his best to ensure that minimumweight mandatory challenger Denver Cuello gets a step-aside fee for having had to make way for Chinese champion Xiong Zhao Zhong’s voluntary defense which was approved by the WBC board of governors at its convention in Cancun last December.
Sulaiman told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that Zhong had signed a contract with American promoter Gary Shaw and will be featured in a fight card in Las Vegas, Nevada against a still unnamed opponent.
Sulaiman told us, “I am trying to have Denver Cuello paid a step-aside fee and I also want them to feature Denver (Cuello) in the same card.”
Sulaiman said he had already told the promoters he wants a step aside fee for Cuello who received $25,000 the first time he stepped aside as mandatory challenger and allowed Zhong to fight Javier Martinez Resendiz for the vacant world title in Kunming, China with Zhong winning a unanimous twelve round decision.
Efforts to get Cuello and Sonny Boy Jaro who are both promoted and trained by well-known former boxer Aljoe Jaro on the Top Rank card in Macau on April 6 fizzled out after Top Rank promoter Bob Arum said his card was full with nine fights including the pro debut of two-time Olympic gold medalist Zou Shiming of China and the flyweight title fight between WBO/WBA champion Brian Viloria who will defend his title against Mexico’s Juan Francisco Estrada.
Estrada is the same fighter who gave undefeated Nicaraguan Roman “Chocalatito” Gonzalez a fierce battle before dropping a unanimous points decision when they clashed at the Los Angeles Sports Arena last November 17 on the same card where Viloria scored a spectacular 10th round TKO over WBA champion Hernan “Tyson” Marquez.
Also seeing action on the card are the promising Penalosa brothers, undefeated Dodie Boy Penalosa Jr and younger brother Dave Penalosa , both sons of the former two division world champion Dodie Boy Penalosa.Tags: Denver Cuello , Xiong Zhao Zhong