By Miguel Rivera
World Boxing Council President Jose Sulaiman was informed that there are still ongoing negotiations to finalize a match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26KOs) and Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero (31-1-1, 18KOs) for May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Guerrero is the mandatory challenger to Mayweather's WBC welterweight championship.
Contrary to numerous reports, Sulaiman was told there are no financial issues on the side of Team Guerrero and the monetary figures were agreed upon several weeks ago.
Sulaiman continues to deny the possibility of Mayweather facing IBF champion Devon Alexander. Last week Mayweather named Alexander as "the frontrunner" to face him on May 4.
"When these things happen [Mayweather selecting his opponent], the WBC is always consulted and nobody has shared anything with us [about Alexander]. Based on what I've always known, there are ongoing negotiations with [Mayweather and] Guerrero - and it's a mandatory fight for both. I'd rather not talk about [this situation with Alexander]. All I know is that [Mayweather is] going to fight Guerrero, and everything else is just unverifiable" Sulaiman said.
"At the moment, negotiations are still going forward with Guerrero. If Guerrero steps aside and allows them to fight, I would have to verify that directly. But I would rather not get involved in these discussions about a subject that has not been proven to be true."