Advertisement
Advertisement

Sulaiman: Cuello Will Fight Zhong For WBC Title in July

by Ronnie Nathanielsz

World Boxing Council president Don Jose Sulaiman  has confirmed that No.1 ranked Denver Cuello will finally get his mandatory title shot against China’s Xiong Zhao Zhong in China, sometime in July.

Sulaiman said he was not certain about the date or the venue for the fight although he said it would be in one of the largest cities in China.

His brief interview was seen on You Tube.

The Cuello-Zhong title fight will be the second such event on mainland China.

Mexico’s Juan Francisco Estrada won the WBO/WBA titles when he beat Brian Viloria in Macau, China, last April 6 .


Sulaiman disclosed that they expect 200 million viewers of the fight on the free television networks in China surpassing the 130 million who watched Zhong win the title with a twelve round unanimous decision over Mexzico’s Javier Martinez Resendiz in Kunming last November 24.

The Chinese world champion was scheduled to face Nicaragua’s Carlos Ortega but that fight was cancelled, according to Sulaiman and Zhong will now defend his title against mandatory challenger Cuello.

Sulaiman noted that Cuello who is managed and trained by Aljoe Jaro  “has been waiting for the opportunity for almost a  year after stepping down  to allow Zhong to fight for the vacant title against Javier Rezendiz.

The WBC board of governors at its convention in Cancun granted Zhong a voluntary defense before hie mandatory defense against Cuello but that fight was cancelled and Sulaiman revealed Zhong will go ahead with his mandatory defense against the hard-hitting Filipino southpaw.

Sulaiman said the Chinese people are “very interested”  in seeing the Zhong-Cuello title fight  even as the WBC president said he expects “the best man to win.”

He said the WBC wants to support China which is the  largest country in the world even as he added “the WBC has great expectations for boxing in China and we are very proud that the WBC staged the first world title fight in China.”

The 30 year old Zhong has a record of 20-4-1 with 11 knockouts while nthe 26 year old Cuello has a record of 33-4-6 with 21 knockouts.

In his last tune-up fight Cuello won a ten round majority decision over Japan’s Takashi Kunishige in Osaka. Cuello previously won nthe vacany WBC Silver title with a 1st round TKO of Carlos Perez on October b15, 2011 in Mexico and followed it up mwith a 2nd round TKO over fancied Ganigan Lopez also in Mexico on May 19, 2012 which earned Cuello the right to face Zhong.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by nycsmooth on 04-30-2013

The truth is rarelty told in these matters, but if this bout happens it will be all Denver, don't care where they fight...

Comment by puga on 04-29-2013

die you lyin ass fat pig.....

Comment by Hougigo on 04-29-2013

Also proofread your damn article. I understand spelling "the" wrong once.... but twice?

Comment by Hougigo on 04-29-2013

I'll believe it when the bell goes off

Post a Comment/View More User Comments (4)
Top Headlines Nonito Donaire Headed To Jessie Magdaleno Clash Next? Shields: Canelo Running From Golovkin; Won't Face Jermall Charlo Eubank Jr: Canelo a Mexican Warrior? That Was Embarrassing! David Price Aims To Land Anthony Joshua Shot in The Fall Photos: Casimero, With Tyson and Jones at Ringside, Gets Revenge Di Rocco Warns Ricky Burns That Layoff Made Him 'More Hungry' Groves Plans To Get Martin Murray a Beer After Beating Him Kenny Lemos Inks Promotional Pact With Under Dawgs Boxing Chavez Jr. Advises Canelo To Demand '158' For Golovkin Bout Shakeup: John Riel Casimero Gives Flyweight a Fresh Spark Chris Blaney Inks Promotional Pact With Ricky Hatton Deontay Wilder Wants WBC To Rule on Povetkin Sooner Than Later Gutierrez Vows That Rosado Won't Make it To Chavez Jr. Fight Damon Allen Batters, Stops Danny Montoya in Three Rounds Golovkin's Coach: Canelo Had No Intention To Do The Fight! Mike Tyson: You Can't Call Tyson Fury a Bum After Klitschko Win Photos: Francisco Vargas Throws Out First Pitch at Dodgers Game Showtime Sues Top Rank: Mayweather-Pacquiao Legal Fee Dispute Fernando Montiel Not Looking To Retire, Plans To Fight Again Tony Bellew Gets Celebrity Backing as He Enters Makabu Fight Mike Tyson Lands Role in Reboot of The Kickboxer Franchise Duran Confident Mosley Secures Shot at Thurman-Porter Winner Sugar Ray Leonard: I Told Mayweather I Would Have Beat Him Photos: Ruslan Provodnikov, John Molina Training For War Nate Diaz: I'd Whoop Mayweather, McGregor Asses in One Night! Margarito Says Ramon Alvarez Likely, Wants Canelo Next Roach: Pacquiao Can Return For Canelo, But Floyd is Bigger Draw Hassan N'Dam vs. Swierzbinski, Amar-Demchenko Will Go Ahead Agit Kabayel Helping Tyson Fury Prepare For Klitschko Rematch Casimero is Ready, Wants Roman Gonzalez Unification Next Fortune To McGregor: Forget Mayweather, Shut Up F***ing Yapper! Povetkin's Promoter Embraces WBC Ruling on Deontay Wilder Mike Tyson: Foolish Plan, But Olympic Amateurs Might Beat Pros Anthony Cacace, Barry McGuigan Decide To Part Ways Hearn Urges Haye To Face Whyte To Speed Up Road To Joshua Deontay Wilder Granted Permission To Make Voluntary By WBC Zolani Tete: Haskins and McDonnell are Holding My Titles Kathy Duva To Be Honored At 7th Annual Raging Babe Brunch Jurors Set For All-Star Boxing vs. Canelo/Golden Boy Lawsuit Jazza Dickens (Injury) Pulled From June 4 Liverpool Show
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement