Advertisement
Advertisement

Sturm in Disbelief Over Loss, Not Sure What's Next

DUESSELDORF, Germany -- As previously reported, Sam Soliman defeated former WBA champion Felix Sturm by unanimous decision in their IBF middleweight title eliminator. Sturm sent his opponent on the canvas in the second round with a swinging right but Soliman somehow got up, and improved as the bout went on. The judges awarded it 116-111, 114-113, 114-113 to the 39-year-old Australian, who will next fight compatriot Daniel Geale for the IBF title.

Sturm clearly dominated the early rounds but then found it harder to deal with Soliman's awkward, crouching style. 

There was a moment of confusion as Michael Buffer announced the judges had awarded it to Sturm, only to correct himself as the German and the crowd were celebrating. Soliman improved to 42-11 with 17 KOs, while Sturm, a German of Bosnian descent, dropped to 37-4-2 (16 KOs) on the day after his 34th birthday. It was Sturm's second consecutive defeat after losing his WBA title to Geale in September. His previous loss was in 2006 to Javier Castillejo of Spain.

"I landed the clearer punches but I can't tell what's in the judges' heads," Sturm said. "He was very hard to fight but you can't anything about it. Now I'll spend some time with my family and see what happens next."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by giacomino on 02-02-2013

Guy had talent but he wasted his career avoiding other beltholders/legit challengers like GGG. At least he made good money at home, but if he can't easily beat somebody on Soliman's level, he probably should quit.

Comment by BattlingNelson on 02-02-2013

I was baffled by the decision having Sturm ahead 115-112. Of course Buffer messing up contributed to my disbelief. Sturm has been on the slide for a couple of years now, so I guess it was just a matter of…

Comment by sako5 on 02-02-2013

[img]http://hfr-rehost.net/self/e2f8a2524e9b22abe91db0c411fca998181d71df.jpg[/img]

Comment by any craic lad? on 02-02-2013

Stopped watching after the third too go out thinking Felix had it in the bag was shocked when i found out.Sturm shoulda jumped all over him in the 2nd.Retirement is probably the best option now

Comment by Michael Paine on 02-02-2013

Buffer is the man trolling everyone with the decision. :trink26:

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (21)
Top Headlines Vargas is Open To Facing Crawford After Stunning Pacquiao Sam Maxwell Turns Over, Joins MGM: Will Debut In October Golovkin Warns Saunders: My Goal is The WBO Belt, I Want it Next Anthony Crolla: I'll Have Jorge Linares Rematch in Las Vegas Williams-Patterson, Eubank Jr-Langford Confirmed For October 22 In Cardiff Derry Mathews Confident: I'll Dig Deep With Luke Campbell! Upton Brothers Leave Ricky Hatton Over "Turbulent Private Life" Dillian Whyte, Dereck Chisora Could Collide in December Smith Backs Froch: Kovalev is Best Pound For Pound Fighter! Amir Khan Says Land For Boxing Academy is Now in Dispute Team USA: Olympic Postmortem De La Hoya on Canelo-GGG: We Can't Afford To Wait Beyond 2017 Chocolatito: Cuadras Talks A lot, But I'll Prove it in The Ring! Golovkin: No Big Fights at 168, I Make 160 Easy - I'm Not Big 160 Juanma: Business Opportunity Made Me Return, Not Vazquez Morrison, Golub, Baranchyk, Peterkin Head To 9/23 ShoBox Robert Guerrero: I'm Ready For a World Title Shot Right Now! Photos: Gennady Golovkin, Roman Gonzalez Big Bear Media Day Saunders Still a Possibility for Canelo, Golden Boy Focused on Smith Jon Fernandez, Jose Roman Ink Pacts With Lou DiBella De La Hoya: Canelo a 154-Pounder, Will Fight Golovkin When Ready! Jarrell Miller's Promoter: He's Ready For Any World Champion Canelo: Margarito Fight Will NEVER Happen, He Should Retire Ramiro Carrillo, Achour Esho Return on October 1, UIC Pavilion Joshuanthony Ortiz, Edgardo Laboy Ink Pacts With Miguel Cotto Canelo Admits Move To 160 is Likely Next For His Career Mason Menard Puts a Target on The Back of Terry Flanagan Anthony Joshua-David Price Ruled Out For The Fall By Hearn James Kirkland Arrested Over Child Support Beef Photos: Anthony Crolla, Jorge Linares Go Face To Face Photos: Glowacki, Usyk - Go Face To Face at Open Workouts Jessie Vargas: "On November 5th I Will Shut The Critics Up!" Daniel Jacobs: Brook Just Too Small To Survive Against Golovkin Golovkin Laughs at Froch, Eubank: Those Clowns Won't Fight Me! J'Leon Love Will Face Dashon Johnson on September 16 Marlon Tapales vs. Paul Butler in The Works For The Fall De La Hoya: Canelo-Smith Will Have Up To 60,000 Fans at Venue! Frampton: The UK Has 14 World Champions - Not All Are Legit! Gerard Carroll To Fight Twice In Eight Days De La Hoya: Canelo-Golovkin Won't Take 6 Years, But Not Now
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement