By Ryan Maquiñana
Daniel Sostre and Vivian Harris are the two names being floated for welterweight contender Wale “Lucky Boy” Omotoso’s Sept. 10 debut under the Top Rank banner in Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall.
“It’s an eight-rounder and then we’ll go from there,” said Omotoso's manager, Steven Feder. “Right now those are the names we’re being offered.”
The 26-year-old Omotoso (18-0, 16 KOs) has made pit stops in Nigeria and Australia before settling in Hollywood’s Wild Card Gym where he works with Freddie Roach and Sammy “The Toy” Stewart.
“Wale’s been sparring with [WBA welterweight champion Vyacheslav] Senchenko and they’ve been camp together the whole way,” Feder said. “Wale’s in phenomenal shape and he’s ready for whoever it is.”
Harris (29-7-1, 19 KOs), a former WBA junior welterweight titlist from Brooklyn, N.Y., was originally scheduled to fight Ron Cruz on Sept. 9 in Philadelphia before negotiations fell through. He is winless in his last four and has been stopped in three of those bouts.
Sostre (11-4-1, 4 KOs), of Highland, N.Y., is a former state welterweight champion. Sporting a record of 1-1-1 in his last three, he boiled down to 141¼ pounds in a points loss to unbeaten Raymond Serrano last month.
Omotoso's bout will be on the undercard of Yuriorkis Gamboa's fight against Daniel Ponce De Leon.
Ryan Maquiñana is the boxing correspondent at Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. He’s a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and The Ring’s Ratings Advisory Panel. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org, check out his blog at www.maqdown.com or follow him on Twitter: @RMaq28.
Tags: Top Rank , Wale Omotoso