Soliman Motivated By Sturm's Verbal Jabs Over Drug Test
By Adrian Warren
Felix Sturm's stern words are motivating Melbourne veteran Sam Soliman going into his rematch with the IBF middleweight boxing world champion in Germany this weekend.
Soliman, 40, will step into the ring in Krefeld on Saturday looking to achieve the high point of a long professional career.
Soliman outpointed Sturm last year in a non-title bout in Germany.
However the German boxing commission altered the result to a no-contest after announcing Soliman had tested positive to an illegal stimulant.
Soliman won a crucial battle outside the ring when his B sample tested clean and showed no traces of any substance prohibited by the IBF.
Sturm 35, who won the title last December from Englishman Darren Barker, who took it from Australia's Daniel Geale four months earlier, sniped at Soliman and his team at this week's press conference.
"He and his team acted unprofessional before the fight and when we received the news about him testing positive, well, enough is enough," Sturm said.
"It's time someone sends him into retirement."
Soliman is determined to stay composed in the ring, whilst admitting Sturm's words have fired him up.
"I love all that, it gives me all the energy to do what I have to do in the ring," Soliman told AAP.
"But on top of that, composure is the most important thing and I'll have that in the ring.
"The best payback is in the ring."
Soliman said the key to victory was he had left no stone unturned in his preparation over the past seven and a half weeks.
Primed by long-standing trainer Dave Hedgecock and good sparring with Denmark's former super middleweight world title contender Rudy Markussen, Soliman is convinced he can stay a step ahead of Sturm.
"While he's training hard to match anything that I have, I'm coming up with new stuff all the time," Soliman said.
Former flyweight and super flyweight world champion Vic Darchinyan (39-6, 28 KOs) gets another chance to boost his flagging career by challenging Jamaica's unbeaten WBA featherweight champion Nicholas Walters (23-0, 19 KOs) in Macau Saturday night.
The 38-year-old boxer, who relocated to Australia after representing Armenia at the Sydney 2000 Olympics, has lost three of his last five fights, but fought well in his last contest against old adversary Nonito Donaire before being stopped in the ninth round.
Soliman is going to get beatdown if Sturm lets his hands goComment by Weebler I on 05-30-2014
[QUOTE=Box-Office;14604089]Signing with a German promoter to get a Sturm and possibly an Abraham fight isn't bigger than signing with an American one and get a string of big fights. You can't compare the two.[/quote] If you read the link doktor…Comment by Box-Office on 05-30-2014
[QUOTE=Weebler I;14604056][B]Why couldn't they sign with a German promoter and fight in Germany to make sure they got a fair shake? [/B] Anyway Sturm fought De La Hoya, Zbik, Macklin, Murray, Castillejo, Griffin, Geale, Barker, Soliman. Yeah he avoided a…Comment by Weebler I on 05-30-2014
[QUOTE=Box-Office;14604041]I do think traveling to prove your worth should go both ways of the pond, but in Sturm's case he never even tried unifying it with Abraham in Germany when he held the IBF version. [B]Also if all legit MWs…Comment by Box-Office on 05-30-2014
[QUOTE=Weebler I;14604029]How many of them signed up to fight the champion in Germany? Of course Sturm is the one who should return to the US so they could rob him again. Fool me once...[/QUOTE] I do think traveling to prove…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (11)